PDA

View Full Version : Now thats a lot of Shelbys............

ShelbyMotorsports
04-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Was just looking up a CSX-T vin number for a TM member and noticed something interesting.

This CSX-T was shipped to the Millbrae California Thrifty location which is right next to the San Francisco International Airport. When I look up a vin for people I usually try to give them other info such as what cars were shipped to the same location as theirs but in this case that number grew too large.

Anyone want to take a guess as to how many 1988 CSX-T's were shipped to the Millbrae CA location?

If you guessed 5 you are too low.

Nope 10 is not enough.

What you think 25 will be the answer.

Ok that's enough hints. Come up with a number and scroll down this post for the answer.

The answer is: 115 CSX-T's were shipped there.

Steve

Turbodave
04-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Wow, that's a lot of CSX-T's I can't imagine one place renting them all out, maybe this was distribution center or something?

cordes
04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Dang, I guessed 100 and was still too low. THat is pretty wild.

ShelbyMotorsports
04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Wow, that's a lot of CSX-T's I can't imagine one place renting them all out, maybe this was distribution center or something?

My guess it was because of the airport. SanFran is a tourist location and the CSX-T was heavily advertised in those on board plane magazines from the airlines.

To be flying into Frisco and seeing a sea of white P bodies in the lot must have been something.

Steve

mcsvt
04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I would have loved to see that!

Marcus86GLHS
04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
United Airlines is the dominant airline at SanFran, has been for 50 years, they are a big customer of mine, next time i am out there i'll see if i can get some of thier old magazines, csx-t ads must be very collectible.

how many csx-t's were made?

Murphy
04-27-2007, 03:56 PM

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/sheldod7.htm

ShelbyMotorsports
04-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Not sure if anyone cares but what the heck.

The #2 Thrifty location after San Francisco is Los Angeles (LAX) with 78 cars being sent there.

Which made me wonder how many of the 1000 CSX-T's stayed in California and that number is 321. Just a tad short of 1/3 of the total production.

Ok, ok I hear you. After California comes Texas with a total of 70 CSX-T's going to the LoneStar state.

Next is Virgina with 65 cars.

After that the numbers get much smaller so I'll just stick with the top 3 states.

Steve

raccoon
04-28-2007, 12:55 AM
I believe 0 made it to northern Ontario :(

Scottmon
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Interesting...you'd think Thrifty would have wholesaled the cars in Cali after their term of service was completed, yet you hear of VERY few TDs in Cali...

ShelbyMotorsports
05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm guessing that somewhere down the line a good portion of these cars ended up going thru some sort of auction which spread them out across the states.

I know the Thrifty location by me had a hard enough time renting them let alone trying to sell the 12 cars they had.

Thrifty/Shelby apparently sent a mass mailing to all the people that did rent them letting them know they were now up for sale. If I recall you received a Shelby baseball cap if you came in and test drove one. If you ended up buying one you received a Shelby jacket.

Steve

raccoon
05-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Interesting...you'd think Thrifty would have wholesaled the cars in Cali after their term of service was completed, yet you hear of VERY few TDs in Cali...

Im sure cali's harsh environmental laws contributed to the early death of many TD's. its a good thing they have those laws too, otherwise LA's air might be polluted or something.

SpiritedShelbys
05-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Steve, did CSX-T #698 end up there? I saved it from a wrecking yard since I found it in pretty nice shape complete but bad motor. Just curious since I found the car in San Jose.

ShelbyMotorsports
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Steve, did CSX-T #698 end up there? I saved it from a wrecking yard since I found it in pretty nice shape complete but bad motor. Just curious since I found the car in San Jose.

#698 is shown being sent to Orange County California.

2.216VTurbo
05-21-2007, 12:08 PM
#698 is shown being sent to Orange County California.

I hear the OC is the best place to own and drive Shelby's:eyebrows:

SpiritedShelbys
05-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Wow... I'll have to tell the current owner that. I never knew where it came from..