PDA

View Full Version : Need advice ASAP (if possible) No reverse on 88 525

Subliminal
01-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Hey guys. I just took my car semi-apart so that i could get it to go into reverse, and so far no luck. Basically, if i hold the reverse riung and pop it into reverse, it just goes into 1st. The adjustment on the bottom of the shifter/end of cable is all the way forward, which it seems is where it should be, but to no avail.

Is there another adjustment i should know abouT?

Something on the tranny itself?

I would really like to get my daily driver up and running again. :)

Subliminal
01-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Aw well, fudge it. I'm done for the day. Defeated, with the car still undrivable.

:(

5sp. mini
01-28-2006, 10:09 PM
from under the hood with the motor off pull the trans rod up away from the trans and turn it will be in rev. at that point start up and see. there is a plastic piece with a bolt in it to adj. shifter loose 8 mm bolts on cables then on top of trans there a two sided bolt 10mm turn in up side down and reinstall with trans in neutal then bolt and plastic piece on the left or pass side of shifter then retighten the cables 8mm bolts then remove the bolt in the trans and bolt on the shifter and recheck shift pattern. hope that helps AL

Subliminal
01-28-2006, 10:13 PM
I think, from looking at mine, that pushing all the way in and turning is reverse, rather than pulling all the way away.

But thanks for the directions, those are basically the ones I got from td.com a while ago. I tried that and no go. I think the cable is shot.

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 04:27 AM
Well crap. I had hoped that the adjustment under the shifter I mentioned in your other thread would get you straightened out. I guess it's possible for a cable to stretch far enough that there's no longer enough adjustment. I've never had it happen, but I guess it's possible.
Something else comes to mind too. Did the cable break? Try taking off in 5th. If it stays in first when you have the shifter in 5th or gets stuck in 5th and won't go back to first, I bet the cable is broken inside it's housing.
It should still be able to push if it's broken, but it won't pull. I can't remember which way is push and which is pull, but it'll stick one way or the other if it's a break in the cable.
HTH,

Subliminal
01-29-2006, 08:35 AM
The adjustment on the 'crossover cable' is all the way adjusted in the direction i need it to go, and it still isn't enough to push that rod all the way in past first. It's alright, though. Someone is shipping me another set of cables and a shifter today. ;)

Thanks again for the help.

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Cool! Let us know how it works out.