PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going for it - 89 CSX

DC Turismo
04-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, a couple years back I found a 89 CSX for sale and ended up not getting it at that time. But, fate may have me set up to come across owning it after all. I contacted the seller recently and they still have it and are asking $1500 for it. I want to say it has 136k on it, it is missing the fiberides as well as the ground effects all the way around. That is the bad. The good is that all #'d items are there (dash plaque, Shelby VC, all stock motor and interior.

Unfortunately, I always dreamed of having a recaro wide optioned car but I'm thinking that if I hold out for that style specifically that I may never end up with one because of the low pro numbers of them.

So, my question is, go for it for this price? Some said yes back then when I brought it up, but opinions on this now would be appreciated. I think I have the pics. from her so I will try to find them and post them to help opinions generate.

I just want to get it so I can park it in the garage and take time finding the GFX pieces and fiberides for it over the next few years to restore it completely. I'm not so much worried about the fiberides as I am the GFX because perhaps I'll put another type of shoes on it that may look better, but I'll see.

Pics. to come, Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!

Subliminal
04-25-2007, 03:44 PM
It'd really depend on several things for me:

Rust
Engine/drivetrain condition
Suspension maintenance

As long as there isn't too much rust, she can drive with relative reliability and the suspension doesn't make you wish you were dead, I'd say go for it.

Otherwise, just pass it up and wait for what you really want.

They do come up sometimes. I remember one was sold here in Jersey a year or so ago for $2k with the wheels and the body kit. I think the front dam was cracked, but that was about it.

DC Turismo
04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks Damon.

As far as I am told there is no harmful rust on it (maybe a bit of surface rust on pass. side quarter if I remember correctly).

The engine I figured would need a new VNT turbo in the long run and most likely a engine rebuild (seals, etc.)

I just wanted to get this thread going to see what the typical going price is for these right now. I mean this not having the GFX or rims does put a damper on things, but, if I can get an unmolested all tagged and #'d items car now, then at least I'll have it down the road.

Subliminal
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Here's the car I was talking about. And I guess it was $2400, not $2k.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f30/105973-fs-1989-csx-nj.html

Directconnection
04-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I want one. I'd trade almost anything for one. So... depending if you want one as bad as me..then go for it. But, if the interior is worn and nasty and the body is rusted, then maybe not a deal, but it is still an authentic '89 csx.

ShelbyMotorsports
04-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Pics. to come, Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!

Need the pics for a definite answer but on what you posted so far the missing Whittier parts would add another $2000-2500 onto the $1500 selling price.

So in reality you would be paying $3500-$4000 for a CSX with 136,000 miles on it that may or may not have other issues such as rust/rot.

My opinion is you should be able to get a nicer CSX for that amount of money but need the pics to 100% confirm this.

The way I'm looking at this is that even if all the Shelby parts were there it sounds like it's a $2500-3000 CSX because of the mileage and rust/rot issues. But since all the Shelby parts aren't there you need to start deducting their value from asking price of the car.

But if in the end if you're happy and the sellers happy thats all that really matters.

Steve

DC Turismo
04-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys. Again I'll track down the pics. once I get home tonight.

The people originally began asking $2500, and even though I told them that those parts would, in my opinion, deduct a significant amount off of that price, they said $1500 and no lower. But, they did say if I go with cash some negotiating may take place. I'd like to go with some evidence of the price of the rims/gfx. Does anyone have a 'Save Page As' image of an ebay auction or something of that sort of these parts going at a certain rate?

The interior is perfect from the pictures they gave me, and I'll have to look over the car to see about the rust issues, but I do not believe there will be any if much to worry about.

In the long run though, I"m thinking that having a complete CSX for that $4000 mark may be cheap since things may sky rocket in the future with these cars.

ALthough I hope your assumption is right Steve and that someday perhaps there may be a nicer CSX for that same price range if this should fall through.! :thumb:

Again, pics to come tonight I hope!

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2007, 07:35 PM
pics? car number? :thumb:

DC Turismo
04-25-2007, 07:52 PM
******** SORRY 56 K!!!!!!!!!! ***********

Here are the images! It is #414, and looking at these pics. it doesn't look bad (keep in mind this was two years ago, but it has not been driven as a daily driver since then either).

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/driver.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/pass.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/rear2.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/engine.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/int2.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/int.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/int3.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/plaque.bmp

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csx/eplaque.bmp

boostboy
04-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Doesnt look too bad, the side skirts are there and look decent, I say go for it, take your time collecting parts for it and once you have all the goodies to make it original again work your magic. Its hard to turn down Shelby numbered car, an 89 CSX is my second choice for a shelby car after an 86 GLHS

1FastCSX289
04-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Id say it doesnt look too bad. The front air dam has been available from kaminari. Ive been wanting to get one for a while now. There was a thread started on TD.com about reproducing the rear skirt as well. Last I read, it was all done. Youre looking at about 350 for the front and the the rear was about 350-400. Looks like the sides are all there. Fiberides are hard to come by and their pricey. You'll probably spend 800 or so there. So, you can SAFELY add 1500 to get everything together. But, that car looks like its worth 3k. I say go for it. I love mine!

Edit: Heres the thread:
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f42/125777-there-8-takers-89-csx-ground.html

moparfwdsleeper
04-25-2007, 08:30 PM
a 89 CSX for 1500 hmm lets think about this you names to flaws, but really thing else is there? runs drives, etc? ---- it for 1500 bucks id buy it even if the thing needed a complete rebuild on the engine and tranny. paint was screwed up come on bro its an 89 CSX VNT, why havnt you bought it already... lol let me know the number and owners name i want it no need to think about it!

PS wasnt trying to be a smartass just trying to make sense out of this.

rare_ram
04-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Looks like the hood is wrong too.

ShelbyMotorsports
04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Billy

Your first post said that it was missing the ground effects "all the way around" but those pics show just the front & rear airdams missing so the question is does the car still have the rocker & door grd efx?

Was expecting it to be more beat up but the pics look ok for the mileage EXCEPT for the tow hitch. Scary thought that it was used to tow anything but thats just my opinion.

Whats it like underneath? Have you checked the floor pans & rails for rot? What about the spare tire wheel area? P bodies are known for leaking water into that area and rusting out.

So if its only missing the airdams & fiberides and there is no major rust $1500 is now in the ballpark.

Time for you to crawl underneath that bad boy and see how it looks.

Steve

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Do it! Do it!

mcsvt
04-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Steve has great advise there. If it passes the rust test at this point then go for it.

Directconnection
04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Looks like the hood is wrong too.

'89 csx vnt cars did not come with the bulge hood like other turbo shadows.

Directconnection
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd go for it easily.

You buy it for me? I'll trade ya something for it?

DC Turismo
04-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah sorry, I couldn't remember if all the GFX or just the front and rear were missing. I realized my mistake after I posted the pics. Good catch!

The hood is correct though.

I have yet to check this car out in person but do plan to do so at the beginning of June. I did not like the idea of the tralier hitch either. That can hopefully be used as a bargaining tool though! :D :D

The interior looks very nice compared to what I remembered. It is sooooo tempting! As I am thinking, I'd love to get it and find all necessary things to make it back to original, but as long as I would have the front and rear gfx I'd be happy!

Thanks so far guys!

CoolV300C
04-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Good advice here already. You need to get it.

The side fx are the hard things to come by. I looked for like a year before just coming into some a few weeks ago. The last set of Fiberrides went for $250 each on E-Bay, the front airdam can be on your doorstep in 10 days brand new, and the rear in a few weeks if you look under the vendor section on TD.com. Everything currently missing can be had pretty quickly. During a recent search for the wheels, I got a couple leads off this site in the parts wanted section of people with the fibers they wanted to unload.

$1,500 is a good price for a beater car, let alone an '89 CSX.

Buy it, and I'll keep it in my garage for you!!!

rare_ram
04-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Sorry, I thought all Turbo Shadows had the bulge hood.

Anonymous_User
04-26-2007, 01:52 AM
I would pick that up in a heart beat for 1500.

raccoon
04-26-2007, 02:34 AM
1500 is well worth it. buy it.

Subliminal
04-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I still say it depends how it drives. Quite honestly, it's not the nicest looking shadow I've ever seen, and without the whole csx package, it just kind of looks like a beater, IMO.

But, if the drivetrain is good with no rust, it's worth $1500 just to sport you around.

You also have to figure you already have 2 td's (by your sig) and a third car is just more fixing to do.

I have 4 cars, and I've always got at least 2 or 3 issues to work out on them. But, I guess I wouldn't trade any of them right now, either, soooo...

DC Turismo
04-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks again for the responses guys. The 89 CSX was the first car to get me into this hobby though and I will have one done up nicely at some point, some day. I've requested additional pictures of the car, and here is what I was told this morning (they did not respond about rust). I also asked about mileage, towing, and why it has not been run since two years ago:

"When we first got married that was our primary vehicle. We lived in Colorado, my husband got shipped to Germany so we had to get some stuff back to the East coast so we rented one of those small u-haul things. That's the only time we ever pulled anything with it. It actually went to Germany with us. But since we've moved back in 2000, it has been a third car. It needs work. It doesn't start right now, I haven't tried to jump it or anything recently. I'll probably give it a try before you come but it definitely hasn't been run regularly for 6 or 7 years. As far as the mileage I'll need to go out and look again."

ShadowFromHell
04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Buy it... you wont regret it. I picked my wrecked 89 up for $700, with no bumpers and tore up side skirts and LOVE that car. Who cares what it looks like, get some decent tires and go throw it thru some twistys. You will be sold :)

DC Turismo
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Well Pat and I have talked and we are hoping that the owners can get the car running so we can just drive it home if all pans out in our favor, rather than driving the truck up with the trailer (in the case we wouldn't get it, we'd have wasted a lot mroe gas).

Updates to come soon I hope!

Aries_Turbo
05-12-2007, 10:50 AM
have either you or heath talked to they fiberglass/carbonfiber guy that is making the shelby charger fender extensions about making some repro 89 CSX stuff? if you coulld get someone to loan you the gfx from a car im sure you could get entire kits made including the front grille.

Brian

85shelbycharger
05-18-2007, 10:46 PM
have either you or heath talked to they fiberglass/carbonfiber guy that is making the shelby charger fender extensions about making some repro 89 CSX stuff? if you coulld get someone to loan you the gfx from a car im sure you could get entire kits made including the front grille.

Brian

That's not a bad idea Brian. I'll run it by Jason next time I see him. I think the hardest part would be to have someone lend us their parts :o

Aries_Turbo
05-19-2007, 07:30 AM
well you already have the side skirts and the grille and the wing. all you need is the front and rear bumper. :) if youre quick and someone is willing, there is bound to be some at sdac :)

BadAssPerformance
05-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Front bumper cover? Kaminari? .... Rear bumper cover? Johnny?

Aries_Turbo
05-20-2007, 12:09 AM
right i know that they offer them, but the steel cities guys are buddies with a fiberglass guy who could make them some replacements for cheap. plus then they could have the side skirts and the door panels made and the grille and then we could all make csx clones that really look like the genuine article. :)

plus I wouldnt mind seeing what the front bumper looks like on a k car lol ;)

Brian

BadAssPerformance
05-20-2007, 12:48 AM
plus I wouldnt mind seeing what the front bumper looks like on a k car lol ;)

Brian

OK, you're not quite right in the head with that one :D

Aries_Turbo
05-20-2007, 12:39 PM
hey ive slid the 88 shadow bumper cover on a k car before and it looks pretty decent lol. its more an aerodynamic thing though. the car is quite floaty at speed and i wouldnt mind adding some "factory look" functional enhancements to help with that. though i wouldnt mind seeing the 89 CSX bumper on one, I think the regular shadow bumper would look more stock. I want something that extends down but at first glance, looks like its supposed to be there.

Brian

DC Turismo
05-23-2007, 01:54 PM
The owner finally responded to my ongoing emails and here are the 'updated' details she informed me about:

Let me be very clear about this car. It has not been inspected for over 3 years. We have not used it. It needs a new windshield, paint job, some wiring work, radio, and the drivers side door will need to be adjusted. We have not done anything besides some spark plugs or something. The interior is all original and looks very good.

I did not know it would need a new windshield, which bites, but oh well. But do you think the info she just provided me with will give me more room to test her with in terms of the price?

Here are some pics. of the car that she took this weekend:
SORRY FOR THE SIZE!!!!!!!!

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csxfrontnew.jpg

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csxinteriornew.jpg

http://www.swpa-sdac.com/csxsidenew.jpg

DC Turismo
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Well just to update everyone, Pat and I made the trip on Saturday to check out the CSX and we put a down payment on it! We're heading out east on Thursday to tow it back to its new home!!!

We'll post additional pics and info once its in our driveway! :thumb: :thumb:

ShelbyMotorsports
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
A down payment??? How much are you paying for it that it needs a down payment?

mo' parts
06-04-2007, 05:49 PM
nice! just make sure the log doesnt come out from behind the rear tires, looks like a long way down. LOL

the down payment was more than likely a "hold on to it till we come get it" kind of deal.

85shelbycharger
06-05-2007, 01:18 AM
It was more of a "hold this for me until I can get it deal". With gas prices, we didn't want to take our truck with our trailer if the car turned out to be too rusted or anything like that. So, Thursday she'll be coming home!

Steve, you have a PM btw!

Turbodave
06-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Looks Nice, lots of potential. Better hope that log holds it from rolling off the cliff for a few more days...

DC Turismo
06-05-2007, 08:56 AM
HAHA! The log. We mentioned to them that its fate was looking dismal to say the least by the pics they sent us and I told them we were hoping a big rain didn't hit, causing a landslide and what not.

Now we were just going to use our tow dolley to bring the CSX home with, but my dad doesn't trust a tow dolley making that long of a trip, especially since this will be the first time I'm driving the truck back home with a car on the dolley. So I was looking into U-Haul to rent an actual car trailer to load this thing onto so all four wheels are off the ground. For only $50 I don't think I can go wrong there, but what do you guys consider would be the best and safest option?

1FastCSX289
06-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Im towing my CSX with a tow dolly 5 hours to SDAC 17. I dont know why it would be a problem. The tow dolly is lighter too......for a little better fuel mileage. As long as youre talking about an actual dolly, where the front wheels are off the ground (not a tow bar), I would say just use the dolly.

mcsvt
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Since it doesn't have the GFX to mess up while on the dolly, I would just use that. I prefer trailers, but if you have a dolly I see no reason not to use it.

Aries_Turbo
06-05-2007, 05:07 PM
use the tow dolley. I towed a GLH from irwin pa to warsaw ny no issues.

Brian

Turbodave
06-05-2007, 05:21 PM
As long as the dolly is in a good state of repair with decent tires, bearing's etc. it should be fine for the trip.

If your dolly is like my neighbor's pos with no fenders, mismatched tires, one working light etc. Then I would rent a trailer...

85shelbycharger
06-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Our dolly is all good. We ended up deciding that we are going to use it anyways rather than rent a trailer. Everything is all hooked up and ready and we'll be leaving here at 5:30 am :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
06-07-2007, 10:01 AM
sweet dude! :)

Brian

Turbodave
06-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Safe travels to you, get some pics!

DC Turismo
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Well guys, brought it home! Everything was smooth sailing the whole way! Pics. will be up tonight. I'm going to get the titled transferred tomorrow and hoping to get it titled as a Shelby.

Now some info - We brought it home and changed the hall effect but the car still wouldn't kick on after turning over. So Pat got his fuel pressure gauge and it seems that there is no fuel reaching the motor ---- leading us to believe that it is a simple fuel pump change and this thing will be running! hahaha

The car came with all four ORIGINAL Shelby floor mats even though they will need restitched. The interior is near immaculate, except for a small crack in the center console that I will replace with one from a JY!

Pics. coming tonight stay tuned!!!

Aries_Turbo
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
check for voltage at coil when cranking?

good score!

85shelbycharger
06-07-2007, 10:02 PM
check for voltage at coil when cranking?

good score!

Yeah I just got in from putzing with it. Checked for spark at the coil and that was a negative :yuck: So I'm thinking computer?

1FastCSX289
06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah I just got in from putzing with it. Checked for spark at the coil and that was a negative :yuck: So I'm thinking computer?

Check the ASD relay. See if youre getting power to it from the SMEC. Should be pin 3 from the 14 pin connector. Should be a dark blue wire with white tracer. Also check the main power and ground to the relay.

DC Turismo
06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Here is the link for the pictures I had time to snap today. More to come tomorrow!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=699

Thanks for the suggestions as well guys! We'll test those out tomorrow to see if they are perhaps the problem :)

What about the computer? Are these underhood computers interchangeable with other cars or are they unique to themselves a.k.a. expensive and rare as h@ll?

Can anyone provide me with some background info on #414? Where was it sent to, etc?

CSX321
06-07-2007, 11:46 PM
I didn't see anybody mention yet to check the fuses.

Turbodave
06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Billy, I would start by checking the mechanical parts first, pull the dist cap and make sure that the rotor is spinning when you crank the engine. If that's happening then you can head down the wiring route. If the computer doesn't see rotation of the engine it will kill the ASD relay right away.

As far as computers go, 89 CSX and 90 VNT should be interchangeable, the 89 CSX was the only 89 car to get a SBEC. They are difficult to come by. If your just trying to troubleshoot however, a 90/91 TI computer should run it, however it may throw some wierd codes due to the different boost control setup.

I've got a copy of Steve's VIN list for all the shelby cars. If you haven't got an answer on the cars history by this evening I'll look it up for you.

DC Turismo
06-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info Dave. Pat and I will look into the ASD relay like you, the other Dave, and 289 mentioned (what is your name btw?! I keep forgetting it and can't look it up in your sig. haha)

We're pretty sure that it is the computer though, and that sucks they are hard to come by. I actually just made a post over in the help section not knowing you had replied here today as to what other computers may run this. I will most likely just buy a stage 2 one from Cindy if we can for sure point out that this is the problem.

I didn't hear anything from Steve, nor have I for some time, is he frequenting hte boards as much as he used to? So if you have that info that'd be great!

ShelbyMotorsports
06-09-2007, 04:08 PM
I didn't hear anything from Steve, nor have I for some time, is he frequenting hte boards as much as he used to? So if you have that info that'd be great!

Sent you a PM on June 5th. I'll see if there is a way to forward a copy of it right now.

ShelbyMotorsports
06-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Sent you a PM on June 5th. I'll see if there is a way to forward a copy of it right now.

The PM was sent to the user id of 85shelbycharger.

DC Turismo
06-09-2007, 05:46 PM
OK that's my brother's. I'll check it out. Thanks Steve!

Also guys, would a chewed into fusible link wire from a mouse also cause the current problem with the car not starting? Pat noticed this today and I'm going down to check it out now.

1FastCSX289
06-09-2007, 06:47 PM
OK that's my brother's. I'll check it out. Thanks Steve!

Also guys, would a chewed into fusible link wire from a mouse also cause the current problem with the car not starting? Pat noticed this today and I'm going down to check it out now.

Uhhh....yea. Fix it up!!!

DC Turismo
06-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, bridged the two wires (22 GA and 20 GA) with 18 GA because that's all the auto store had and said it would be fine to just test with, and tried starting it but it won't start. Ugh, thought I had it solved! lol...

Check into it more tomorrow I suppose. Im going to swap the ASD relay and hopefully that will do the trick. Wish me luck!

DC Turismo
06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
It was running tonight!

My buddy Tim came up this evening to check out the CSX and we looked around in the engine bay for some time before we noticed two additional wires that were chewed into by a squirrel, chipmunk, or some other P.O.S. animal! ARGH! Anyways, we bridged those two wires as well, and tested for spark. Badabing! :D After that, we poured some gasoline into a squirt bottle and sprayed it into the TB while I turned the key. BOOM! It was running while the spraying continued and purred like a kitten :D :D That leads us to believe it's either the fuel pump itself, power is cut off to the fuel pump, or both? At least we're another step closer!

WickedShelby88
06-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Darn animals. At least it wasn't the SBEC. Its easier to fix a couple wires then track one of those.

BARRON
06-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Just looking over your pics man. Nice find. The interior is beautiful! Fix er up and it should make a great cruiser!