PDA

View Full Version : 5 bolt sprocket

raccoon
04-25-2007, 03:29 AM
for the life of me I cant remove my crank sprocket. :(

any tips? Ive been trying to use a steering wheel puller with a cut off stud to press on.

turbovanmanČ
04-25-2007, 03:32 AM
You need the special puller or make one out of a chunk of steel. Remember NOT to have the puller seated on the center section as it won't budge. You must bottom it out at the bottom of the crank.

Turbodave
04-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I use a puller I bought from OTC, but others have had good luck with some homebuilt pullers and even using a spare crank pulley and a 3 jaw puller.

There is some good info in this thread:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491&highlight=crank+sprocket+puller

22mopar
04-25-2007, 04:29 PM
for the life of me I cant remove my crank sprocket. :(

any tips? Ive been trying to use a steering wheel puller with a cut off stud to press on.

OK here's a STUPID question, did you take out the middle bolt? I actually watched an ace mechanic to this. he was pulling until the bolts snapped. pretty funny to watch. I stopped him before he fired up the torch. :wow1:

shelby zed
04-26-2007, 02:20 AM
good luck... mine wouldnt come off.. now i need one

raccoon
04-26-2007, 02:24 AM
well it beat me. and yea i did have the center bolt out.

I dropped it off at my mechanics place, after watching him fight with it for 10 mins, he said he would make a tool for it and to come back tomorrow. :)

tryingbe
04-26-2007, 09:20 AM
If I make a tool set to remove sprocket, do you think I get people to pay $35 for it?

overlordsshadow
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Its not a bad idea as I have never been able to get mine out. Kind of steep price for me after shipping though. Next time I have to remove it I am making a puller myself or trying the steering wheel puller again. For those of us who are not fabricators, your tool would be a good idea.

Turbodave
04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
The OTC tool was about $60 when I bought it a few years ago. It is drilled for both the 4 bolt and 5 bolt sprockets and comes with the hardware. I would have to say it's paid for itself already in the time it saved me.

raccoon
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
If I make a tool set to remove sprocket, do you think I get people to pay $35 for it?

I would of paid 50 yesterday when i was hurting myself fighting with the steering wheel puller.

most people wont want one until they need it. and then they;ll want it right away.

22mopar
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
I would of paid 50 yesterday when i was hurting myself fighting with the steering wheel puller.

most people wont want one until they need it. and then they;ll want it right away.

20+ years ago, I ran into this exact same problem. maybe someone should make a sticky on all the mopar boards about how to remove the crank sprocket. ain't like the first time it's come up.

What I did waaaayyyy back then was to take a peice of steel, weld a nut on it and drill some holes. ended up looking just like a snowmobile flywheel puller when I was done. total cost for me ZERO dollars 20min fabrication. this is kinda what it looked like when I was done.

http://www.hiperf.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehiperf%2eco m%2facatalog%2f&WD=flywheel%20puller&SHOP=%20&PN=Online_Catalog_Shop_Tools_45%2ehtml%23a725_2d02 9#a725_2d029

iTurbo
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM
I just ordered one from etoolcart.com yesterday. Part # SP92100 manufactured by Schley. $63.

tryingbe
04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Its not a bad idea as I have never been able to get mine out. Kind of steep price for me after shipping though. Next time I have to remove it I am making a puller myself or trying the steering wheel puller again. For those of us who are not fabricators, your tool would be a good idea.

Price is right.

I'll have to buy the core stock pulley, include all the bolts and nut, stud, box, instruction and make a decent enough profit to cover my time and gas. If there isn't an worth while profit, it isn't worth doing. A trip to junkyard to get cores alone will cost me about $6 in gas! If I have a press drill and tool that can cut thick metal, my price would go down because I don't have to buy the core pulley, but I don't have either.

My tool is VERY easy to use. You take out the center bolt, thread on the stud I supply, put on my puller and turn the center bolt on the puller until the sprocket come out. From the time you take out the center bolt 'til the time you have the sprocket out, it takes about about 3 minutes, MAX.

But like raccoon said, the biggest problem is people won't think they'll need the puller and when they do want the puller, they'll want it right away and can't wait for the 3-7 days shipping.

Turbodave
04-26-2007, 02:07 PM
20+ years ago, I ran into this exact same problem. maybe someone should make a sticky on all the mopar boards about how to remove the crank sprocket. ain't like the first time it's come up.

I was thinking that same thing Mike, and what I'll do is put together an article for the knowedge center here with just that.

turbovanmanČ
04-30-2007, 03:29 AM
$35 isn't bad at all. If I was a back yarder, I'd pay that in a heart beat.

tryingbe
05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Found a picture of my puller.
http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/forsale/crank1.jpg

boost geek
05-10-2007, 12:01 AM
I had to make a tool also, these things are on tight!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_1149.jpg