PDA

View Full Version : 2.4l lifters. Where to buy for cheap?

Darkwolf
01-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I've read through the threads on td.com so many times over the past couple months and even did somemore today and can't stand to do it anymore :). Going through the threads I found http://www.howellautomotive.com but they only sell them in a set of 16 and I'd rather not deal with resaling the extras if I don't have too. I thought autozone and advanced sold the mellings for $14ish for a pack of 4 but the dude at autozone said thats EACH and you have to order atleast 4 which doesn't sound right and I am not sure if the guys at advanced even know what a lifter is. Their websites arn't exaclty clear.

autozone's website says $14
PRICED EACH FOR VDP ORDERS MINIMUM ORDER QUANTITY IN MULTIPLES OF 4 OR STANDARD PACKS OF 4
uh what?

Advanced just says $11 and thats it.

Napa's just has a pic of 1 lifter and says $10.

JB-2240
Just sticking that in there so I don't have to hunt down the part# again.

WVRampage
01-28-2006, 01:39 AM
go to a napa if it close and ask them im sure they sell them individualy and I know advance sells them individualy since me and my dad repalced the ones in my moms 3.0 v6 mini van and if im not mistaken we did it a few times over the years and years,200k we put on it. And noticing you are from wv howell orders will get there in about 2 days if you have to order from them, I had a neon a while back that had the bottom end kit from them it in with the je pistons total seal rings and eagle rods,howell is a good place and they are very helpful if you need to talk to some one about any problems you are having with your ride.

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2006, 04:56 AM
The best place is good old Mopar. There sold in packs of 4 and are roughly $10 each if you get an honest dealer, so thats $40 a pack.

GLHNSLHT2
01-28-2006, 10:01 AM
you've got the melling #. That # is for a 4 pack. "The Pope" will sell you the lifters and spacers to use them for $70 shipped I believe. Shoot him a PM. He'll hook you up.

JuXsA
01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
whats the advantage of using the pt lifters?

GLHNSLHT2
01-28-2006, 01:09 PM
they have a bleed hole in the top, so with the oil aeration problems that 2.2/2.5's have along with neon motors this keeps the lifters from falling down cause when the air pocket in the oil hits the lifter it just bleeds right out then the spring closes the hole when oil fills it. If you have a scraper/baffled pan this may not be as much of an issue or totally eliminate it with a dry sump system. But for those of us that aren't running that then it does help in the upper rpms. Also if your stock lifters are dead then the PT lifters are cheaper than stock and they'll last a lot longer.

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2006, 05:51 PM
whats the advantage of using the pt lifters?

Wow, where have you been, lol! HOw could you miss the 10 pages on TD.com, :p

Also, you valvetrain will never be so quiet, its unreal, PT lifters with conicals is unreal. :nod:

Darkwolf
01-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Well looks like the http://www.howellautomotive.com/ 16 lifters for $99 is going to be the cheapest. I'll just have to try to find somebody that wants the extra 8. I already have enough washers for all 16 anyway.

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Well looks like the http://www.howellautomotive.com/ 16 lifters for $99 is going to be the cheapest. I'll just have to try to find somebody that wants the extra 8. I already have enough washers for all 16 anyway.

Just post them for sale on the sites, you will sell them for sure.

JuXsA
01-28-2006, 06:06 PM
can you just stick them in or do you need to jerry rig it? I saw the thread but it looked like there was allot of name calling so I just decided to not read about it. Does any one want to talk about it here in the tm.com and make a sticky?

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2006, 07:19 PM
can you just stick them in or do you need to jerry rig it? I saw the thread but it looked like there was allot of name calling so I just decided to not read about it. Does any one want to talk about it here in the tm.com and make a sticky?

I'll make something up.

Basically its this, the PT lifters are shorter than our reg lifters, so you need 2 shims or one shim of the correct thickness-.064" or .128" under the lifter. Install your regular rocker arms and thats it. The only drawback is you can't run a higher lift reground cam as you need to shim the stock lifter to make up for the reduced cam base circle. I am running the S1 cam right now and had to add one more shim and the oil feed is just under the top of the lifter bore.

The S is Silent
01-28-2006, 07:25 PM

I'd be interested in splitting that action with you. PM me with how much you want for 8. Did you get hardened steel washers for the shims?

GLHNSLHT2
01-29-2006, 02:28 AM
The Pope will sell you the correct washers for $5 shipped.

John B
01-29-2006, 04:48 AM
I am running the S1 cam right now and had to add one more shim and the oil feed is just under the top of the lifter bore.Or you can use lash caps on the valve stems or a combination of the two.

Darkwolf
01-29-2006, 07:18 AM
I'd be interested in splitting that action with you. PM me with how much you want for 8. Did you get hardened steel washers for the shims?

They are grade 8 flat steel washer so hopefully thats good enough. I want to check with somebody local first to see if he wants the extras but if not I'll probably go $55 shipped which would be exactly half what they cost me and I would throw in the washers for free.

The S is Silent
01-29-2006, 09:58 AM
If he doesn't want them, I do. I can get a MO or paypal you today with the money. Let me know.