PDA

View Full Version : Piston/Rod question?

gvare001
04-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Is it ok to use a full floating piston on a press fit rod?

turbovanmanČ
04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
The consensus is 50/50, some say yes, some say no.

gvare001
04-23-2007, 01:54 PM
The pins are the same size, right?

turbovanmanČ
04-23-2007, 02:23 PM
The pins are the same size, right?

Yes. I forgot to add, if it was me, I wouldn't do it, thats my personal opinion.

overlordsshadow
04-23-2007, 04:25 PM
For the cost of finding the floating pin rods I'd just get the floating pin rods.

Directconnection
04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
It will work, and work ok. It's the way it used to be done way back. The bronze bushing are much better as they don't gall up as steel on steel like that without actual oil pressure may not be sufficient if there's alot of heat made (and on a turbo motor, chances are greater) and the bronze acts as a buffer... it absorbs shock better like the way a rod and main bearing is designed to.

GLHS0658
04-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Are you using it as pressed or floating?
If floating then ^ above is true.
If pressed pin then OK. You are just not using the clips to hold the pin in because the rod is holding the pin.
Is/was that the question?

Mike

gvare001
04-24-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm using it pressed.Not using the clips.

22mopar
04-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm using it pressed.Not using the clips.

OK, here's what you can do. you can use full floating pins/pistons as a press type. meaning you can install these items into an interference rod (pressed). actually you NEVER press them in, you heat the rod then slide the pin into place. never use retaining clips on the pin bore when using a pressed pin... very bad idea and will cause piston/rod failue. if you are removing pressed pins, I strongly suggest you do not attempt this if you plan on reusing... spend a couple bucks to have someone with knowledge, tools and experience do so. same with installing. I've done 1000's of pressed pins... and even with my experience, every now and then I get one wrong... so then I have to wait until everything cools, then press the pin... sometimes I even have to start over... stuff happens even to the best of us.

Directconnection
04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Yup, we do that here every now and then (using floating style piston w/out locks w/pressed pin onto rod)

Mike, you are much better off pressing off the piston if installed incorrectly while it's still warm from the hotbox. I accidently had a SBC piston on the opposite direction. Comes out alot easier when still hot.:)

GLHS0658
04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Mike, you are much better off pressing off the piston if installed incorrectly while it's still warm from the hotbox. I accidently had a SBC piston on the opposite direction. Comes out alot easier when still hot.:)

I know :thumb:

Mike

Directconnection
04-24-2007, 12:31 PM
other mike... allmotor/22mopar mike.;)

gvare001
04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
you heat the rod then slide the pin into place

That's exactly what the machine shop did. Also is it OK for the rods to have some discoloration on the ends after the heating process?

turbovanmanČ
04-24-2007, 04:28 PM
That's exactly what the machine shop did. Also is it OK for the rods to have some discoloration on the ends after the heating process?

Yes......

22mopar
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Yup, we do that here every now and then (using floating style piston w/out locks w/pressed pin onto rod)

NEVER press while still warm. you will Gaul the bores and mess up the piston and rod. fully allow the assembly to coo before attempting to press the pin

Directconnection
04-25-2007, 10:11 AM
pressing them out cold usually galls them from what I see. One thing we do differently which may be the reason it didn't gall on me when pressing off hot is that we lube the pins and piston bores prior to hotboxing them on. So, there is allready lube in their.

22mopar
04-25-2007, 11:06 AM
pressing them out cold usually galls them from what I see. One thing we do differently which may be the reason it didn't gall on me when pressing off hot is that we lube the pins and piston bores prior to hotboxing them on. So, there is allready lube in their.

I have always found just the opposite. better to press cold

Gaboon
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
It's fine.

The pin is the same size, it will just press in.

If buying an expensive set of pistons I would find some floating rods.