PDA

View Full Version : tranny troubles. HELP

Wannaberacer
01-27-2006, 05:08 PM
ok so i bought my 85 omni GLH about 3 months ago i have been under the intentions that it needed a new clutch. but lately i have been thinking it MAY be the transmission. the clutch pedal has pressure, but it will not go into gear. when the cars off it feels like it is in gear. so today i thought about starting it in gear to see if it'll move. but nope, nothing :mad:.. so i dont know. i'm lost. clutch? transmission? cv axles? i'm so lost with this.. i dont want to spend thousands of dollars on just FIXING the transmission. so any help anyone can give me would be AWESOME. if it is the transmission i'll be looking for a rebuilt street/strip tranny. so anybody know any good links. lve some please. thanks

Devin

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 05:42 PM
If it won't go into gear when running, chances are it's not a CV problem.
You're going to have to pull the trans regardless of wether it's a clutch or trans proplem and you can check the clutch while the trans is out. If the clutch is bad, then just replace it. If the clutch turns out to be ok and it is a trans problem, then you'll already be half way to having a new one in.

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Forgot, they have some pretty good deals on transmissions at www.turbosunleashed.com if that turns out to be your problem.
HTH,

Wannaberacer
01-27-2006, 08:02 PM
ok thanks man. anymore information. then let me know. i was hoping someone maybe ran into this problem once and wouild know something about it. but thanks anyways. any lil bit is enough

altered7151
01-27-2006, 08:24 PM
The 525 trannies that are stock in the l-bodies aren't exactly known for being strong. How easy it to roll the car? Will it roll when its in gear?

Wannaberacer
01-27-2006, 11:27 PM
i'm sure it would. it revs like it is in neutral. the kid said he burnt out the clutch. thast all her told me that was wrong with it when i bought it. but now.. it seems like more.. but i hope it aint. :mad:

TurboGLH
01-28-2006, 12:35 AM
It's hard to say without more info, but it sounds like it might just be a bad clutch. You have to remember, even if the disk is burned to hell and back and has no grip the Pressure plate is probably still working and thats what gives the petal it's feel. The fact that you can't get it into gear while running is another good sign. Does it not go into gear while it's not running? Can you roll it while it's not running? More info please.

Wannaberacer
01-28-2006, 12:21 PM
i haven't tried rolling it when it is off and in gear. yeah ti feels like it is in gear when i have it off. but could the shifter of come disconnected?

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 02:09 AM
It's possiable. I think those are rod shifted, and the rod ends have a habit of loosening up with age which allows them to pop off. If that's the case, you should be able to feel it in the shifter. It'll feel like it's not connected to anything either front to back or side to side depending on which rod comes unhooked.
HTH,

Wannaberacer
01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
i dont know what i'd be lookin for. i was just thinkin that that is what it woulda been. ?

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Like I said, if that's the problem, you should be able to feel it in the shifter. It won't have the "H" pattern feel like it should. Depending on which rod came off, it will feel sloppy either side to side or front to back.

Wannaberacer
01-29-2006, 11:58 PM
well i had a reply on another site and someone said that the tranny mounts if they get weak then that will effect the shifter in the tranny. but would it make the shifter feel any different shifting?

Cliff Ramsdell
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM
The right side intermediate shafts are know to fail. Check the shaft where the right axle goes into the intermediate shaft.

Have someone start the car, depress the clutch and put the car in gear, let the clutch out and see if the intermediate shaft is turning and the axle is not.

Might be as simple as that or a clutch. If the car won't move when you put it in gear and have the clutch out then chances of a transmission failure are kind of slim, got any real bad noises?

ok so i bought my 85 omni GLH about 3 months ago i have been under the intentions that it needed a new clutch. but lately i have been thinking it MAY be the transmission. the clutch pedal has pressure, but it will not go into gear. when the cars off it feels like it is in gear. so today i thought about starting it in gear to see if it'll move. but nope, nothing :mad:.. so i dont know. i'm lost. clutch? transmission? cv axles? i'm so lost with this.. i dont want to spend thousands of dollars on just FIXING the transmission. so any help anyone can give me would be AWESOME. if it is the transmission i'll be looking for a rebuilt street/strip tranny. so anybody know any good links. lve some please. thanks

Devin

Wannaberacer
01-30-2006, 01:25 PM
nope. just the alternator belt. other then that none. when it is cold it has a small tick. :D

jre97
01-30-2006, 09:00 PM
My car was really hard to change gears in when the clutch went out. I busted the whole center section out of the clutch disc. The pedal felt fine but it wouldn't move or change gears. Well it changed gears but You almost had to strong arm it to the point of almost breaking something.When I finally did get it to go in I had a loud bang and that was when the clutch disc broke completely. The car would roll whether or not it was in gear.

Tony Hanna
01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
That's why I suggested pulling it apart. If it's the clutch, you'll see it, if it's the trans, then at least you'll already have it out.

Wannaberacer
01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
:thumb: thanks everyone for your help. it means alot.all this information has been VERY useful