PDA

View Full Version : New design 8 valve spring compressor

looneytuner
04-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I just finished trying out a design for our 8 valve heads. The valve stays compressed with no hands required and no chance of smashed finger tips or parts flying.:nod:
The end pieces attach with bolts in the valve cover corner holes. I added a spacer nut so I could use a stock metric bolt. The end pieces and cross piece are 3/16x1' flat stock. The piece that goes over the valve washer has a 1/2 drilled hole for the threaded rod to seat in. It is 1/8x1" flat stock. The rod is ground to a point. the U shaped piece is also notched to sit on the spring washer without slipping off. The U piece is also ground on the cam side for clearance with the follower.

I just tried it out and it works great. There is a nut on the threaded rod under the cross piece. I used a vice grips to turn the rod and wrench to hold the nut stationary.. No muscle required at all. You have to pull the follower first and can then compress the spring all the way.

Yes, I use masking tape for making marks on metal. Easy to see and easy to change.

cordes
04-21-2007, 10:53 PM
That is a great design. I would rather use that than the hook and lever style one that I have while the head is off the car. Very nice work.