PDA

View Full Version : Hit a roadblock, need help with chem/dcal/flash!

altered7151
04-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Okay so today was the big day, got my smec flash setup from jason all installed and now i'm ready to flash some calibrations I made and start some tuning. So I had my cal in chem2, clicked write to create a binary file, couldn't find any option for flash on chem, so assumed I had to use d-cal to actually flash the .bin file. So open up d-cal, open the bin file, hit flash, verified the setup and the right com port, hit okay and then flipped the switch to provide 12v to pin 11, then the key to on, and then hit okay on the d-cal prompt. The d-cal window then says bootloading to ecu, but then it says something along the lines of " timed out waiting for ack", then the next window says "cant connect with ecu". I verified that I'm getting 12v to pin 11, went back and double checked all my soldering, but i'm at a loss on why it wont work. I'm super excited to start tuning this car and actually enjoy it instead of seeing it sit in the garage, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

GLHNSLHT2
04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I'd contact jason.

whywoody
04-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I have the same module kit as your self,and having the same prompts come up on the dcal screen,however I was advised by fellow TD'er to check using the 'hyperterminal' program to test if 1) the serial cable is working,2) that the interface I built is working....and using this test showed me that my interface isn't working for some reason.
I believe my module from Jason and my own instal of it are working because when I turn the ignition key to the run position BEFORE switching power to pin 11,I here the fuel pump cycle,but if I switch power to pin 11 THEN turn the key to run the pump dosen't cycle,leading me to believe the smec is in the 'flash' mode..??
I have been over all my instructions and solder for my interface,but it won't play....I believe it is a Chad Clendening kit,but not positive as I bought it some time ago from a member here in un-built kit form.

Have you tested your cable and interface?
I am going to start a thread on diagnosing faults with this stuff....I know bugger-all about these things,but am hoping some others can forward advice to people like myself.

GLHNSLHT2
04-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I'd check the interface as well. My flash chip setup has been working great for a couple years now. I accidently got the setup wet on the old one and it wouldn't flash. Reading the code from the chip Jason was amazed the car even ran but it got me to SoCal and back without issues :) He made me up a new setup a couple months ago with his new design and I haven't had any problems with it.

altered7151
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
I got an email back from Jason as well and he also suggested testing it with hyperterminal, I'm not 100% on how to do that but I'm going to give it a shot this evening and see if it work. Whywoody, I'm glad you mentioned that about the fuel pump not kicking on when you send power to pin 11 first, I noticed that myself yesterday, so hopefully thats a pretty good indicator that the flash module and my installation are working. I thought possibly the cable I had might be bad, so I plugged the serial interface module directly into the back of the laptop and had the same issue. So I'll test the serial module today and see what happens.

turboaddict
04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
well at least the jet ski runs!!! if you get it figured out this week maybe we can tune next week, or do you have a race?

whywoody
05-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Did you have any luck testing with Hyperterminal? I haven't had any time to look further into my faulty interface..too many projects at one time.

altered7151
05-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I sent it off to Jason to check everything out, he said everything checked out perfect. That was both the serial module and the flash module I soldered into the smec board. So I'm not really sure whats up. I need to pull the car back into the garage tomorrow and make sure all the wires on my diagnostic connector are ok. I'm not really sure what else it would be if both the serial module and the flash module check out alright.

TurboBuggy
05-06-2007, 12:23 AM
you might have to flip the Rx and Tx wires. The serial module Rx goes to the SMEC Tx and vice versa

whywoody
05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
I have been testing mine using a 12v motorcle battery for power supply to the interface,and using the hyperterminal program with the Tx and Rx that would normaly plug into the diagnostic port,looped to each other.I cant get a response back to the laptop.
Should I be able to check signals on the TX and Rx with a meter? I haven't tried that yet.
Test your serial cable,as using hyperterminal showed me that the serial cable I was using was faulty.I have a different cable now,but still no interface action....

ShelGame
05-06-2007, 09:53 PM
If you connect the Rx and Tx lines at the ECU side and you don't get an echo in Hyperterm, then first try swapping the Tx and Rx lines on the PC side, or get a null modem.