PDA

View Full Version : Went to the track last night

GLHS592
04-21-2007, 12:37 PM
It's been a while. The last time I had my car at the track was at Edgewater for SDAC-15 in Cincinatti. My two best 1/8th mile times at Cincy were 8.12 and 8.15. That was at around 15-16 psi of boost. I also ran an 8.51 on 10 psi and an 8.31 on 13.5 psi the last time at this track. Last night, I was logging right at 19.5 psi and my best pass was 8.25 @ 88 + mph. The next 5 passes were all slower mainly out of my frustration with myself. I gained 2-3 mph, so I know that the car is making more power. It just didn't feel as strong as it has on the street. I know that my main problem was a lack of traction. So, maybe it was the track. Right? Well...

...Last night, I think my best 60' time was a 2.1. It obviously wasn't the track since a local guy with a Nissan NX was cutting 1.7-1.8 second 60' times and running low 8's. A friend of mine was cutting 2.0-2.1 on street tires with his Ford Lightning. I just think it has to do with a couple things. I don't think I was heating the slicks up good enough and the extra power was overpowering my 23" M&H slicks. As soon as I was coming out of the hole, I was seeing the shift light. I don't fully understand it since guys that usually cut 1.7-1.8 second 60' times were cutting 1.90's all day at SDAC-15 and I was right there with them. I think I may have to rig up some sort of staged boost setup. Also, what kind of slick pressures are you guys running?

The only differences in the setup last night were a crushed DSM blow off valve, fixed engine alignment issue, and no rear skinnies. I had already decided to purchase an aftermarket BOV. I think I may have been losing some power due to the BOV. The engine alignment fix should have helped and the lack of rear skinnies should be negligible.

Anyway, I'm a better driver than I showed last night. I got so frustrated with my laptop not working right and my rusty driving skills that I rolled past the beams and tried to stage with my rear tires. :lol: I've laughed at people for doing stuff that stupid. I should have just parked the car for an hour to calm down and try again.

Here's my 8.25 pass. As you can hear, I'm spinning bad in 1st and 2nd gear.

http://media.putfile.com/GLHS592

Maybe I'm just over thinking all of this and just need more seat time and practice.

BTW, here's a pic of my buddy's Lightning and my junker.
http://www.tennesspeed.net/gallery/data/500/GarageLogicGLHS592.JPG

slasky
04-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I run my slicks at 13 psi. I usually spin them out of the hole but they hook at the top of first.

Marcus86GLHS
04-21-2007, 02:04 PM
1/8th mile drag racing can be so frustrating because it provides 1/2 the distance to overcome a poor 60 foot, so 60 foot times in 1/8th mile racing are even more critical than 1/4 mile drags. but you did some good #'s considering those 60 footers.

i deliberately avoid any 1/8th mile track, because i am the worst driver from a standstill that i've ever seen.

you car looks fantastic.

85glht
04-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Maybe a little less air in the tires. I run my slicks at 9.5 lbs. They almost look flat but I can cut upper 1.7 60'.

I'm not a big fan of 1/8 mile tracks............... half the fun :D

Captain Chaos
04-21-2007, 04:46 PM
my junker.
http://www.tennesspeed.net/gallery/data/500/GarageLogicGLHS592.JPG

I can't believe you're not ashamed to be seen in that thing.lol. Seriously. I've been battling the same scenario with the SRT. Last Oct the car was cutting 1.9 60' and running 13.4's. End of March 2.0's and 13.6's. The weather was comparable. I blame mine on poor track prep not allowing me to launch as hard, and the DR's getting worn. It'll come back to ya, the worst thing you can do is get pissed and try again. Good luck.

GLHS592
04-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Can any of you guys give me some pointers on better traction in a stick shifted car? I've just about decided that I'm making too much power for 1st gear.

Clay
04-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Can any of you guys give me some pointers on better traction in a stick shifted car? I've just about decided that I'm making too much power for 1st gear.

or you can look at it another way, maybe your making to much power for those tires. maybe stepping up to bit taller tire would help. IF your overpowering the tires that is.

crazy1eye
04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Joey(gaboon '87 SC) & myself usually run around 7-8psi & have had good results with the 23" M&H's.

One thing that is important, 2nd gear burnouts. More tire speed = more heat = better hook-up.

Clay
04-22-2007, 10:16 AM
So do you start in 1st and shift to 2nd, or just start in 2nd?

and I think 8 psi sounds about right. Its to a point where they look flat.

DodgeZ
04-22-2007, 10:20 AM
You prolly just need more time behind the wheel at the track.

crazy1eye
04-22-2007, 10:40 AM
So do you start in 1st and shift to 2nd, or just start in 2nd?
Just start in 2nd, rev it up & release the clutch quickly :thumb:

and I think 8 psi sounds about right. Its to a point where they look flat.

That's it.

GLHS592
04-22-2007, 01:19 PM
I did a huge smoky John Force style 2nd gear burnout and still couldn't cut a good short time. I think I cut a 2.11 on that try. I would go with the larger (24.5") slicks, but I'm afraid they'd rub my airdam extensions.

I started out with about 12 psi in the slicks. I dropped it down to about 9 psi. I didn't notice any difference. As soon as I dropped the hammer, 1st gear became useless and I was spinning through most of 2nd gear.

One thing I did notice was that my slicks didn't seem to be picking up gravel in the pits. They don't seem to be getting sticky enough. They are only about 3 years old and I probably have less than 20 passes on them. Would a slick get to where it won't "stick" over time?

You prolly just need more time behind the wheel at the track.

I think you're right. That's probably the #1 problem.

85glht
04-22-2007, 02:29 PM
I started out with about 12 psi in the slicks. I dropped it down to about 9 psi. I didn't notice any difference.

Your tires may be getting tired ..... especially if they aren't picking up debris off the ground.

Did you try stiffening up the rear suspension??

GLHS592
04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
The Konis are on full firm. I have no other suspension mods.

GLHSKEN
04-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Rears should be full soft

turbovanmanČ
04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
I would say first time out, not bad at all. I know my first bike race of the year I was at the top 10, last year, placing 2nds. Just give it some time, you'll be back.

GLHS592
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
I would say first time out, not bad at all. I know my first bike race of the year I was at the top 10, last year, placing 2nds. Just give it some time, you'll be back.

I hope. With each pass, I became more and more frustrated with myself. I'm really beginning to think that I may need new slicks. They just don't seem to be getting sticky enough. In '05, I could drop the clutch at any rpm and all you'd hear was a little squeal and then the'd grab hard.

BTW, 1/8 mile is all we have around middle TN. The nearest 1/4 mile is Bowling Green, KY.

Pat
04-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Make sure you're coming well out of the water during the burnout. Lots of heat and smoke will not help if you stop spinning on wet pavement and go to the line with water still on the slicks.

My recipe with the M&H's has been to roll into the water, give a quick spin to get them wet, pull forward to the very edge of the water (basically where the pavement is just wet, no puddle) and let them get nice and smokey in 2nd gear until the car starts to pull through the ebrake, pop the ebrake and floor it until the car really starts to rocket forward. Slicks are hot, nice and dry and no water in the wheelwells. Tach her way up at the line and let it fly. I did 1.7-1.8's in my Charger doing this.

DodgeZ
04-23-2007, 01:01 PM
I hope. With each pass, I became more and more frustrated with myself. I'm really beginning to think that I may need new slicks. They just don't seem to be getting sticky enough. In '05, I could drop the clutch at any rpm and all you'd hear was a little squeal and then the'd grab hard.

BTW, 1/8 mile is all we have around middle TN. The nearest 1/4 mile is Bowling Green, KY.

My 4 year old slicks still cut 1.78's on a crappy track. It is prolly the prep at your track. I am sure SDAC 15 had better track prep then your local 1/8. I think Barry paid for the good track prep but maybe that was SRT nat's. I recall something like a 500 dollar fee for good track prep. Track prep makes a big difference. I've seen 1.7's one night at a good 1/4 track and then two nights later I can't get better then 2.0's at a crappy 1/8 track. The next season I got 1.7's at the crappy track again.

GLHS592
04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
That may be the case. Of course, the guy with the Nissan NX (fwd) was cutting low 1.8's with that one 1.77 short time. So, I'm not sure if it was the track. Maybe I just need to go back without any expectations from myself or the car. I'm going to be going to Bowling Green soon and they say that track is always prepped well.

1FastCSX289
04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Yea, second gear is key. Also, have you thought about staging the boost. Make the boost come on in second gear.

DodgeZ
04-23-2007, 02:14 PM
That may be the case. Of course, the guy with the Nissan NX (fwd) was cutting low 1.8's with that one 1.77 short time. So, I'm not sure if it was the track. Maybe I just need to go back without any expectations from myself or the car. I'm going to be going to Bowling Green soon and they say that track is always prepped well.

What does he normally cut? what where his trap speeds? There are a lot of things that come in to play. Did you/him run after a fast car with big slicks, did you follow in his tracks. Did you/him run after a muddy 4x4 with super swampers? Did you run in the same temperature air, suns out hotter track. Did you/him run after someone broke on the track? Like you said at SDAC15 everyone was doing worse then normal and you were doing good. Just somethings to think about.

GLHS592
04-23-2007, 09:38 PM
What does he normally cut? what where his trap speeds?

He normally cuts 1.8-1.9. His trap speeds were 85 or so.

Warren Stramer
04-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi Kevin, some good advice in those posts. I have had slicks "go away" just from improper winter storage, just never hook like when new.
But, before you give up on them there are a couple of things that I've had work. First, have someone watch or video your burnout. You want to see if during the burnout smoke is coming from the full circumference of the slick or from just the bottom. If from just the bottom then it probably is a tire problem.
Try running the tires on opposite sides (turning them backwards of normal rotation) Make a real good, long burnout this way, make a pass or two then switch them back to the normal rotation.
Also try cleaning them with soap and water till the tread surface is very clean and dry and apply a liquid traction compound such as VP Track Bite. I have had good results with that product. All else fails get new ones :( Warren

8valves
04-23-2007, 11:57 PM
I know of a lot of guys that let their slicks soak in some VHT for a couple oof nights before they get out on them. Just apply it to the surface of the slicks and let it absorb till they're tacky to the touch.

I'm not sure how long it lasts though...

Ondonti
04-24-2007, 03:55 AM
I dont think comparing to the nx is a great idea. He probably has a powerband much higher in the RPMS then you and has a whole different driving experience. Maybe he has better suspension setup etc. Im sure if you both have somewhat similar power outputs, he makes MUCH less torque then you.
My buddies NX seems to hook up pretty good on street tires with the same 1/8th mile traps as your friends....and ask corby or dempsey. We have crappy track prep.

GLHS592
04-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am listening and considering everything. BTW, Warren, what is the best method of slick storage?

Warren Stramer
04-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am listening and considering everything. BTW, Warren, what is the best method of slick storage? Clean tire with soap and water, completly dry, deflate and put in platsic trash bags, store on sides (not stacked up) in bedroom closet;) , or anywhere between 40-90 degrees, keep away from ozone generating appliances such as welders, electric motors (like air compressors)etc. and keep off concrete floors. Also, I wouldnt "soak" the tires in any liquid tire treatment, rather I've coated them as per instructions as a last resort. Be aware that ALL slick manufacturers recomend against ANY liquid tire treatments. But what red blooded American ever followed instructions:evil:

slasky
04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I had my slicks dismounted and stored in the shed on top of the lawnmower over the winter. I hope they will be OK.

Clay
04-24-2007, 11:04 AM
So do they need to come off the wheel? I know it says deflate, so Im assuming you leave them mounted.

Warren Stramer
04-24-2007, 11:31 AM
So do they need to come off the wheel? I know it says deflate, so Im assuming you leave them mounted.
Leave em on the wheel.

contraption22
04-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Just for the hell of it, try not doing a burnout. It may not work for everybody, but it works for me.

Aries_Turbo
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
spray cheap --- belt dressing on them lol.

no idea if it will work but it sure makes belts sticky.

Brian

glhs875
04-25-2007, 07:34 AM
It really doesn't take alot of HP to cut a decent 60'. With the race weight estimated @ 2500lbs on my Charger, and according to the calculator from Wallace Racing, only 146WHP is needed to cut the high 1.9 to low 2.0 60's that I consistantly get on my cheap street radials. I can believe that, as I just lean against the converter to around 3200rpm, let off the brake, keeping the same throttle pressure (about 1/4 throttle) until I feel the tires hook then go WOT. And my boost is also staged which helps big time! According to the calculator only 260WHP is needed to cut 1.6's in a 2500lb car. I would look into a staged boost setup of some sort.

1FastCSX289
04-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I had my slicks dismounted and stored in the shed on top of the lawnmower over the winter. I hope they will be OK.

At least you didnt leave them on your car sitting in a concrete floored garage all winter like me! HA!

They'll be fine.

Vigo
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
260WHP

if you make 260whp at 3200 rpm... youd probly make 700whp at 7000. maybe easier said then done to make that amount of power at the rpm you launch at.

if they mean average power delivered over the whole 60'... that would make more sense. ive never seen the calculations you're talking about.

glhs875
04-26-2007, 07:37 AM
if you make 260whp at 3200 rpm... youd probly make 700whp at 7000. maybe easier said then done to make that amount of power at the rpm you launch at.

if they mean average power delivered over the whole 60'... that would make more sense. ive never seen the calculations you're talking about.

Look on www.wallaceracing.com What I'm getting at is, if I can cut 1.9's on 300 treadwear radials launching at part throttle with maybe 2psi of boost built up at the initial launch then stay at part throttle for at least half of the 60' before going WOT, then it doesn't take a ton of power in a 2500lb car to cut decent 60's. But that is about all these tires can pull. If I try and get any more agressive with the launch, my 60's go down due to too much wheel spin. There's a happy medium with whatever tire your using. You only need how ever much HP the tires/chasssis can handle. Anymore than that is wasted! That's the way I look at it anyway.

DodgeZ
04-26-2007, 01:14 PM
He normally cuts 1.8-1.9. His trap speeds were 85 or so.

Don't know what to say then... You are hosed tommy.

Garret
05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I'd say you are making enough power you can launch in 2nd gear, give that a shot it'll only make you faster due to one less shift as well. I used to do it all the time in my street radial'd Daytona while racing on the street, never tracked the car so I couldn't tell you what it'll do there. However on the street it gave me much more traction due to better feedback and feeling on the traction threshold

GLHS592
05-24-2007, 08:33 PM
VP Track Bite.

Where can I purchase this product?

csxtra
05-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Where can I purchase this product?

JEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGSSS!!!!!!!

Seriously:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_51620_-1

GLHS592
05-24-2007, 10:57 PM
I didn't think about Jegs. I looked in my Summit catalog and didn't see it.