PDA

View Full Version : Did something contraversary at work 2nite

Juggy
04-21-2007, 07:57 AM
well I was bored while the machines were roughing out some tools, so I had some spare time to mess around

since my lower part of the 2 piece is at the shop with the head (hes suppose to match the intake to the head ports) I decided to work on the top piece :nod:

I machined out the TB for 52mm last nite, so I ran the flapper wheel to clean it up a little more for a really nice blend!

so I was looking at the runners and I know most people say do not touch them on the plenum side!! well I did :evil:

I ran the flapper wheel into the plenum side until all the runners were nice and clean, I was using a 120 grit wheel so it wasnt really hoggin it out too much, so I basically just smoothed it all out taking out the casting lines and stuff....I have a 6" long straight shank die grinder so I was able to manuever it all the way down to the start of the runners in the plenum. I did not gasket match it!! but now everything is nice and round and smooooth!

looking at it now as compared to what it looked like b4?? id say this thing is going to flow alot better once I get the lower runners done!

Ill try to get some pics, but alls i have is the celly to use which isnt as good.....so any comments??

GLHSKEN
04-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Ah... that's not contraversial... you should clean it up... Now my 2 piece is contraversial!!! ;)

Juggy
04-21-2007, 08:41 AM
I heard you werent suppose to touch the upper plenum because it will hurt performance, unless that statement is referring to the fact that gasket matching upper part, at the 2 piece gasket is bad??

something about creating an "air bubble" in the intake???

I figured what the hell, if i did something wrong no biggy, I only have 4, 2 piece intakes lol

GLHSKEN
04-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Yep. gasket matching... Ummm how mine is

Juggy
04-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Yep. gasket matching... Ummm how mine is

lol ok, and you like uuhhh???

I guess 2 many people are scuuuuurd to port the upper plenum!!!!

after that quote, you make me want to continue and go all the way and try to gasket match!

mpgmike
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Take a piece of shoe box cardboard and make a "gasket" from your existing upper and lower ports. Place the cardboard over one of them, then take a small ball peen hammer and make marks where the openings are. Cut it out to that size. Next place the same cardboard over the other piece and repeat, marking any of your "gasket" that hangs out over the edge. Cut the little bit that's been marked. Next, place your "gasket" over the upper and lower, marking just like you would with a gasket. Blend the openings to that new size.

Make the holes in the lower just a tad bigger than the holes in the upper. Furthermore, if you look, you'll see that the port in the upper actually curves into the lower around the outside radius. Keep that contour or you'll create a nasty turbulence pocket at that junction.

Opening the ports out to a regular gasket will totally kill the flow and velocity around that elbow.

Mike

tps25pentium
04-28-2007, 04:29 PM
contraversary eh? i hope the strategery worked!

anyhow, aren't the intake runners supposed to be rough to atomize the air/fuel mixture?

1FastCSX289
04-28-2007, 04:41 PM
contraversary eh? i hope the strategery worked!

anyhow, aren't the intake runners supposed to be ROUGH to atomize the air/fuel mixture?

Fuel doesnt enter until the end of the intake runner right before the head.

tps25pentium
04-28-2007, 04:48 PM
hmmm... so smoothing it has benefits then I suppose.. hmmmm...