PDA

View Full Version : race gas and emissions?

jonnyb
04-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Will having 104 unleaded race gas in my car cause any problems passing emissions?

I received a notice in the mail yesterday saying my license will be suspended if I don't bring my glht through emissions by April 21 (tomorrow). I just took the car to the track last weekend and put almost a half a tank of 104 octane unleaded race fuel in it. At $7.75 a gallon, I don't want to pour it out, nor do I want to just run the car around to try and use it all up (want to save it for next race event).

So I would just like to zip over to the emissions testing station this afternoon after I get out of work and bring the car through - anyone know if the race gas will cause me to fail emissions?

Thanks,

Jon

BadAssPerformance
04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Only problem it will cause you is higher unburnt hydrocarbons if they test at idle or decel.

If the car is setup for 104 (cal, mods, etc) then it might do ok, but possibly not.

Sounds like you need a gas can to siphon it into or go racing and use it up :thumb:

Do they give you time to fix it if it fails? If so, you can just take it and see if it will pass, if not, then fix it.

btw, are you running a cat with 104? if so, it's not gonna last too long, they tend to melt when running higher octane

jonnyb
04-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Actually, after reading your post - you have a good point - I don't know if it will pass with my cal in it anyway. Maybe I'll just take it there and see what happens.

I'll call motor vehicle dept today to see if the car needs to pass, or if I just have to take it through in order for my license to not get suspended. If it fails, I have 30 days to try again, but I was going to start ripping the car apart for paint this weekend so I'd really like to just get this taken care of today.

As far as the 104 killing the cat, it's unleaded 104 - why would that kill the cat? I thought I just had to stay away from the leaded stuff with the cat.

2.216VTurbo
04-20-2007, 11:57 AM
What state does this 'license in jepardy' for emissions???:confused: I live in California and we have the two year mandatory dyno emissions testing :blah: and all that but I've not heard of them suspending a license for emissions failures. Is there another piece to this story I missed?

BadAssPerformance
04-20-2007, 12:31 PM
In IL if you fail to comply to the request (complying includes saying the car cannot be tested) you can lose you liscense.

jonnyb
04-20-2007, 01:59 PM
It's the great state of Connecticut :evil:

Well, the verdict is in - race gas is OK. I didn't change a thing and the car passed - barely!

+20's, 22 psi boost - 14 degress of timing and 104 unleaded race gas. I guess the cal I made for it must be doing OK during part throttle runs :D

mcsvt
04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Gotta love that :thumb:

shmedley
04-21-2007, 01:12 AM
In IL if you fail to comply to the request (complying includes saying the car cannot be tested) you can lose you license.

I can speak from experience on that. I think I might still have the letter from the state saying that my license if the car does not get tested and pass by a certain date. The car was wrecked and I kept telling them that it is not drivable because of a car wreck but they are more then welcome to come and test it at my house. I kepy telling them that it was the municipalities fault that I could not fix the car in time because he did not want to ruin the young drivers record (this was on my old red SC that I only got to drive for a day before a 16 year old girl ran a red light and t-boned it)that ran the red light and that I could not afford to fix it. I even had witnesses that I ended up hitting that said that their light was green before I hit them (I was turning left) They were not happy with that and finally got the point that I was not kidding and the day of the suspension I got a letter from the state stating that it would not be suspended after all.

Marcus86GLHS
04-21-2007, 05:04 AM
nice work w/ emissions there Jonny, gotta be that owner-written cal you have.

what cat do you have on the glht? must be a decent one cause your running 12's and passing CT emissions all w/ same setup.

i got a "winter storage" extension for my next test, i have until 6-30-07.....for those not in CT we've had smog testing for years but in the past it was all cars tested every year, the testing was done at state-owned facilities, tons of people were lax in getting the tests and fines were sorta small. no big deal.

not anymore. now they are dead serious about these tests, now testing is done every other year at state-approved private garages and yes your liscence is yanked if you fail to show up for testing.

but once the car is 25 years old, the car is exempt. i'm looking forward to that day.

Marcus86GLHS
04-21-2007, 05:07 AM
.....and if you want to check out Jonny's car going 12's last weekend here's a link to some videos:

http://www.putfile.com/marcus86glhs

boost geek
04-21-2007, 11:50 AM
If your worried about the gas, just pull the fuel return line off, put on a longer line to a jerry can, and run your engine. The jerry can will fill as the car is idling. For emissions I always run a 1/4 tank, then add a litre off 99* rubbing alcohol, passes flying colours every time, without a cat. That's with +40s and a stage 2 cal.

85glht
04-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I thought that they (the state) would just suspend your registration, not your license??

Anywho, congrats on your 12 sec run and passing emissions :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
04-21-2007, 05:51 PM
IL suspends the vehicle registration if you fail to pass by the required date or refuse to test that vehicle... your drivers liscense if you fail to comply to the test notice.

BLUEBALL
04-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Eww they keep up with expired inspctions! Thats alot of tax dollars at work lookin up who's overdue. Big brother,please dont come down here and do that. Good to know it still passed w/race gas

Stratman
05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
With my experience tuning for street and race I've noticed the main ingredients being a good catalytic converter and the O2 is working good there should be no problems. If the O2 is not part of the loop anymore and A/F has been very well tuned to Stoich for idle and cruise it should be OK. I think once a big cam with a good amount of overlap is introduced it is destined to fail. The inspection people were wondering how the hell my CSX passes with all tests resulting in almost nothing.

mock_glh
05-17-2007, 03:30 PM
With my experience tuning for street and race I've noticed the main ingredients being a good catalytic converter and the O2 is working good there should be no problems. If the O2 is not part of the loop anymore and A/F has been very well tuned to Stoich for idle and cruise it should be OK. I think once a big cam with a good amount of overlap is introduced it is destined to fail. The inspection people were wondering how the hell my CSX passes with all tests resulting in almost nothing.

You might be surprised about the cam and other stuff. My Omni has a 270 degree x .530 lift cam, ported head and 52# injectors and has been testing cleaner than most of the stock stuff I've tested. I even use leaded fuel when I go to the track and it hasn't hurt me at the smog station.:)

Stratman
05-17-2007, 04:06 PM
I think the biggest factor would be a cam with alot of overlap being an issue.