PDA

View Full Version : oil drain back from turbo

Omnious
01-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Has anyone, reloacted thier oil drain back tube? I rember a friend of mine Todd Nelson talking about the drain back from the turbo pointing directly towards the #4 rod, I had a thought of welding a fitting into the pan so it would drain back more towards the sump. I know Tu's baffled pan has a baffe that keeps the oil off of the #4 rod. The reason why i am questioning this is because, I was thinking of using a smaller line from the turbo to the pan. anyone think this would be a good idea? tia - dave

GLHS592
01-27-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm curious. Is there a real problem with the stock drainback?

Moparbishi
01-28-2006, 05:54 AM
the drain back should be alt least 5/8ths as the dstock one is. if it cant get fuel out fast enough it build up pressure. pressure therre is bad.
forgive my typing im a lot drunks

EDIT

oil not fuel duhhh

Tony Hanna
02-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking Moparbishi is on to something. As much as is said about restrictions in the oil return causing the turbo seals to leak, I'd be a little concerned about going with any smaller size for the return line.

Aries_Turbo
02-02-2006, 02:26 PM
mine goes into the pan cause im not running a commonblock. i cut a chunk out of that stamped steel piece that goes from the lower bellhousing area of the trans to the back of the block so I could get the drainback into the top most part of the pan. only issue... its close to the cv joint so you need to measure alot to make sure its ok.

Brian

2.216VTurbo
02-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Whatever you do make sure it has plenty of slant to the drain. My turbo is relocated on the GLHS over the trans and the first drainback didn't have enough angle to get the oil back to the pan fast enough. Holy oil smoke:eek: The tubing is actually larger than the factory piece, to fix it I just rewelded the bung onto a lower spot on the pan.

Omnious
02-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Whatever you do make sure it has plenty of slant to the drain. My turbo is relocated on the GLHS over the trans and the first drainback didn't have enough angle to get the oil back to the pan fast enough. Holy oil smoke:eek: The tubing is actually larger than the factory piece, to fix it I just rewelded the bung onto a lower spot on the pan.

so did it puke oil out of the turbo seal and make it smoke?

2.216VTurbo
02-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Apparantly that was what was happening. After reconfiguring the drainback, no more oil smoke. I talked to the turbo vendor about it and asked them if I had been pushing oil past the seal because of the back up in the drain if I would have a continual problem from it even after the drainback was fixed- they were inconclusive or wouldn't say:o That turbo was a full T4 and was too poochy anyway so a couple thousand miles later I swapped it for a hybrid. Much more drivable now but I miss that explosive kick above 4800. GT 35 BB next time around:evil: