PDA

View Full Version : check out this IC Good?

JuXsA
01-27-2006, 12:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO-INTERCOOLER-18x6x3-5-Mustang-Supra-Bar-and-Plate_W0QQitemZ8033281862QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

What do you think of this IC? I am wanting to get one that has the inlets on the same side. I am going to be buying one within the next few weeks. Or if I can get a good deal I will buy one now, unless of course I go with my Watercooled IC design.

Thanks

JuXsA
01-27-2006, 12:33 PM
That one would cost atleast $240 shipped.
I could get this IC core:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8033120960&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
For $190 shipped and get the same style endtanks made. Does any one know roughly what that would cost? I know it varies from welder to welder and area to area.

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 02:52 PM
It all depends on who you get to do it. If you have a buddy with a TIG outfit that will work for beer and pizza, go with the core and have the tanks made.
If you have to get the tanks made professionally, keep looking, or buy the top one.
My .02

WVRampage
01-28-2006, 01:48 AM
It all depends on who you get to do it. If you have a buddy with a TIG outfit that will work for beer and pizza, go with the core and have the tanks made.
If you have to get the tanks made professionally, keep looking, or buy the top one.
My .02

I definantly agree with him the one at the top looks good to me.

stampederunner
01-28-2006, 02:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8033500655 Check this one out, it will probably sell fairly cheap. Even if it does go higher than 200 its a quality intercooler from a well known manufacturer. It is also from a board member.

R/T
01-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I just got this one;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-MOUNT-XX-LARGE-INTERCOOLER-ECLIPSE-CRX-ACCORD-WRX_W0QQitemZ8031847520QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Over *twice* the size of a T II IC -

24" x 12" x 3" , 1050cfm for $98.99!!! :thumb:

Wife says it's too pretty to put in a car - serious buffed alloy.

Me likes!! :)

TurboMinivan
01-31-2006, 01:46 AM
1050cfm for $98.99!!!

Yes, but at what pressure drop? Like most eBay intercooler ads, this one conveniently leaves out that critical piece of information.

Any chance you can flow test this before installing it, Tracy? I'd love to know what those Mishimoto 'coolers flow at the industry standard 1.5 psi pressure drop.

-Dempsey

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Yes, but at what pressure drop? Like most eBay intercooler ads, this one conveniently leaves out that critical piece of information.
-Dempsey

I've wondered about something similar myself. As I recall, alot of the Ebay auctions claim a certain pressure drop at a certain psi without listing the CFM. For example 1.5 psi drop at 15 psi.
I'm a little bit confused about that. It seems to me that without knowing both the pressure drop and volume of air it takes to cause that drop, it's all worthless information. It doesn't seem like the boost pressure would even be relevent. Am I missing something?
If this is the case, then I wonder why the people selling these intercoolers aren't giving all the information? I know I for one would be alot more likely to buy an intercooler that is advertised properly with all the necessary information rather than take the "well, it's big so it should flow good" approach.
Any thoughts?

R/T
02-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Can't think of a way to test it; BUT:

This is ths same unit that Matt Wright put in his SC - it had a T2 IC and was running consistant 13.00/13.10 @ 103mph.

Add the Mshimoto, *no other changes* - and went 12.50 @ 107mph.... :thumb:

Enough flow for me!!! :cool:

TurboMinivan
02-01-2006, 02:26 AM
I've wondered about something similar myself. As I recall, alot of the Ebay auctions claim a certain pressure drop at a certain psi without listing the CFM. For example 1.5 psi drop at 15 psi.
I'm a little bit confused about that. It seems to me that without knowing both the pressure drop and volume of air it takes to cause that drop, it's all worthless information. It doesn't seem like the boost pressure would even be relevent. Am I missing something?

You aren't missing anything; the sellers are. You are exactly correct: claiming a particular pressure drop at a given intake pressure without specifying the cfm is completely meaningless.

Silly example: our stock TurboII ICs have about 2psi pressure drop at 14-15 pounds of boost on a TurboII engine. Take that intercooler off our car and install it on an '87 Chevy Sprint turbo. When the Sprint is running 14-15 psi of boost (assuming the 1.0L engine can handle it), there will certainly be much less pressure drop due to that engine's much smaller amount of airflow (cfm). But, undoubtedly, some dolt would put our IC on eBay and yell out ".5 pressure drop at 15 psi" based on what happens with the Sprint. His claim would be technically correct given that exact engine, but it's rather misleading doncha think?

Other side of the coin: let's say you have a 2001 Camaro with an LS1 V8. You've built a turbo system and have it dialed in to 14-15 psi. You buy a TurboII IC from this hypothetical seller due to his pressure drop claim and install it in your car. Later you take some measurements and find out there is much more than 2 psi pressure drop. Now what do you do? Go after the guy for false advertising? It's foolish for a seller to claim a spec unless they can provide all the info to explain/reference it.

If this is the case, then I wonder why the people selling these intercoolers aren't giving all the information?

At best, they are simply too ignorant to know how crucial the missing information is. But what if they really do know and just aren't telling, assuming (most often correctly) that anyone who falls for an internet cheapie special probably won't know any better, either?

I know I for one would be alot more likely to buy an intercooler that is advertised properly with all the necessary information rather than take the "well, it's big so it should flow good" approach.

I could not agree more. If my budget won't let me purchase a quality, reputable IC (read: Spearco) then I'm going to construct my own such that it is a known performer. This is why, for example, I'm building a triple Dodge core IC for my Caravan rather than simply shopping for the lowest price I can find online. Far too often in life, buying it cheap means buying it twice.

-Dempsey

TurboMinivan
02-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Can't think of a way to test it

Two words: flow bench. ;)

This is ths same unit that Matt Wright put in his SC - it had a T2 IC and was running consistant 13.00/13.10 @ 103mph.

Add the Mshimoto, *no other changes* - and went 12.50 @ 107mph.

I know the Mishimoto outflows the stock Dodge IC. Many intercoolers do. I'd just like to know exactly how much it outflows a stocker.

-Dempsey

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 02:53 AM
At best, they are simply too ignorant to know how crucial the missing information is. But what if they really do know and just aren't telling, assuming (most often correctly) that anyone who falls for an internet cheapie special probably won't know any better, either?

I'd like to try to believe the best about people until proven otherwise.
Still, it's hard not to take into account greed and that the seller may be motivated to leave out information that may make their product look less favorable. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to ask them.
I'd bet you could tell alot about the seller from their response.

I could not agree more. If my budget won't let me purchase a quality, reputable IC (read: Spearco) then I'm going to construct my own such that it is a known performer. This is why, for example, I'm building a triple Dodge core IC for my Caravan rather than simply shopping for the lowest price I can find online. Far too often in life, buying it cheap means buying it twice.

-Dempsey
Completely agreed. Personally, I'd like to see all the facts on some of these Ebay coolers and if they are made available will consider running one. Until then, plans are for a 2 or 3 core unit using Talon cores. From Gus' flow test, what you've said about them, and my own past experience, I have high hopes.

TurboMinivan
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I'd like to try to believe the best about people until proven otherwise.

Of course. These people are simply selling a product. I'd wager they simply report whatever facts/figures are handed to them.

plans are for a 2 or 3 core unit using Talon cores. From Gus' flow test, what you've said about them, and my own past experience, I have high hopes.

I expect great things from your experiment. Please let me know what you find! (I'm using three Dodge cores because, well, they're just sitting around my garage.)

-Dempsey

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I expect great things from your experiment. Please let me know what you find! (I'm using three Dodge cores because, well, they're just sitting around my garage.)
-Dempsey

Glad to hear it. Makes me feel like the effort won't be wasted. When I get it done, I plan to connect a boost gauge at both the throttlebody and the compressor outlet and compare. I don't have access to a flowbench, but hopefully somebody can figure a fairly accurate estimate of airflow based on my setup so that the pressure drop will have some meaning.
It'll be awhile before it's done, but I'll send you a PM with the results.

JuXsA
02-02-2006, 12:05 PM
The Mishimoto intercooler is constructed of high quality 6061 aluminum. The Mishimoto intercooler inlets are 3" in diameter. The intercooler will flow at 1250 CFM. The end tanks are hand welded for a perfect fit. The Mishimoto intercooler will work as an upgraded front mount intercooler and will fit almost all applications with correct piping.Tube & Fin or Bar & Plate? We have received many emails regarding Tube & Fin and Bar & Plate cores and which one is the best. Each have their strengths and weaknesses and you will probably receive a different answer from each person you ask. Tube & Fin cores tend to flow ambient air better than Bar & Plate cores because the rounded leading edge of the tube causes less disruption to air passing to your radiator. However, Bar & Plate cores tend to flow charge air better because of limitations in the Tube & Fin design. Tubes must extend beyond the header plate and into the end take to be welded. This not only requires air to take a more indirect route into the tube, but also means that the tubes diameter cannot extend to the full depth of the core.

This is not meant as a formula for picking the best intercooler, but mainly as a guide to sorting through the facts. Some of the most important considerations when choosing an intercooler are matching a proper core size to your application and choosing a brand that carries a warranty. A good manufacturer will always offer a warranty.

* 27.7WC is equivilent to 1PSI PSI = Pounds per Square Inch WC = Inches Water (Usually read with a device called a manometer)
Mishimoto Intercooler Quick Facts:

Size:

Core - 17.5 x 12 x 3
Full Size - 24.5 x 12 x 3

http://www.beyond-bedding.com/miin.html