PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this?

t3rse
01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Is it safe to run an engine with the tranny/flywheel/clutch off? I think I have an oil leak in the crank seal and I can't really know for sure unless I fire her up, but I don't want to f-up anything.

crazy1eye
01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
No problem at all.

GLHSKEN
01-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Tough to start with no starter though...

Spray the area off with brake cleaner. start the car and use a light with the lower shield off and watch. I've found a couple leaks that way..

Clay
01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I took an old junk 525 trans and cut off the starter mounting portion.

This allows me to bolt up a starter, and still have the trans off the car. ;)

Worked well for the one time Ive used it.

clay

Turbodave
01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Like Ken said, I usually put the car up on ramps, pull the inspection cover off and clean everything really good with brake clean and then watch it with a flashlight while it's running. You can see whether it's the rear seal or the oil pan pretty easily this way.

t3rse
01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
is there any easy way without special tools to replace the seal?

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Only "special" tool you'd need is something to drive the new seal in without damaging it. Other than that it's a simple process. It's just a pita because you either have to have the engine or trans out to get at it.

t3rse
01-27-2006, 08:10 PM
in other words a mallet. Thanks for all the info fellas, I'm gonna jump on it in the morn. If all goes well tommorrow I'll be able to drive my car for the first time I have owned it with 5 functional gears (I actually have a rediculous amount of work I need to accomplish on it) on min boost for another freaking 500 miles.

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 02:56 AM
in other words a mallet.

Actually, I was speaking more toward something to go between the mallet and the seal to keep the mallet from buggering the seal. It's real easy to destroy a new seal. Even using something the right diameter to catch the outside edge, one slip out of center and your new seal is gonna leak.
Still, going slow and easy with a tool (storebought or homemade) is the best way.
Beating directly on a seal with a mallet is just asking for trouble. Hit it at the wrong angle just once and you've deformed the seal.

5sp. mini
01-29-2006, 10:39 AM
there also a seal or gaskett on the seal houseing then lube the crank lip to aid in installing the houseing back to block, also check the oil galley freeze plug on left side of the block. i tap and pluged mine. AL

GLHSKEN
01-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I turn the housing upside down and place it on a block of wood... Use another over the back side and tap it that way...

Just for safe measure, I coat the metal outside edge (where is sits in the bracket) with anaerobic sealer...

t3rse
01-29-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm about to hop on it, I was planning on using a 2x4 to use as a buffer. I had no intention of pulling the housing, as it seems to be sealed well. I'm going to pull the oil pan first, as I definetly found a leak under the crank seal; however, the crank seal is leaking as well.

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 06:44 PM
there also a seal or gaskett on the seal houseing then lube the crank lip to aid in installing the houseing back to block, also check the oil galley freeze plug on left side of the block. i tap and pluged mine. AL

Is there an actual gasket for that? I tried to get one at the dealership and they sold me a tube of sealant.:confused:

5sp. mini
01-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Yes There Was In My Felpro Rear Maim Seal Set Or Crank Seal Set There 1 In Front Too.four The 6 Or Four Bolts Thank It Off And Clean It Up. And Reseal It All. Al

t3rse
01-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I pulled the housing off and put the seal on a piece of wood and just pushed down on the housing and it popped right on, easy as cake (used sealant too).