PDA

View Full Version : 5 Speed Shifter Frozen

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey guys,

Another event in the continuing saga of 'will my 86 GTS get me to work today?'...

My shifter has been freezing up on cold days. Usually, if it happens, I just move it side to side for about 3 minutes while the car is warming up, and I'm set.

However, this morning, it was about 20 degrees out, and it happened again. I tried the old side to side thing, and it did eventually loosen up. However, when I push the ring up and pull it over into reverse, it goes into 1st. And when i don't push the ring up to go over to 1st, I think it's going into 3rd.

Also, while I'm talking about shifting problems, sometimes it's a little tough to get into 1st and it grinds 3rd on the downshift, unless I shift from 4th, pull it over towards 2nd and then put it into 3rd. That way it works fine.

Now, my guess would be shifter cables. That sound about right?

I believe the car has an 88 525 or 520. Not sure which one.

Where is a good place to get a set of cables? Do you guys think it's the cables? Are the cables the same as 523 cables?

Thanks. Inquiring minds want to know. I drove the 13 MPG truck to work today. Which was nice, mind you, but expensive!

GLHSKEN
01-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Should have a 520 tranny. Sounds like the cables are shot... Have you hit them with any kind of lube??

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 09:44 AM
No, not yet. I've been too busy replacing 50% of the car...grin

I'll tell ya. If it isn't one thing...it's another.

inmyshadow
01-27-2006, 10:57 AM
523 cables are the same as 520.

I'd try shooting some wd40 into the cables. If that doesn't help, the cable could be binding inside the cover.

I had a cable snap because the cover melted to the cable inside. One day the cable snapped at the shifter. Pulled the cable and it wouldn't move.

Luckily cables only take about 30mins to replace. On a shadow and ways.

5sp. mini
01-27-2006, 11:07 AM
someone said to take the cable out and put a zip lock baggey full of oil and hang up side down and let oil drain throw the cable . worked good for me . you will find a bad houseing or ripped rubber boot. AL

TopDollar69
01-27-2006, 11:30 AM
An 86 Lancer should have a A525. The A520 wasnt availlible till mid year 87. The cables for the 525 are unique to 525 cars with cable shifters. Daytona 84-86, Laser 84-86, Lancer 85-early 87, and GTS 85-early 87. Im sure the boots are old and hard on the end of your cables, allowing water to seep in.

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 11:33 AM
An 86 Lancer should have a A525. The A520 wasnt availlible till mid year 87. The cables for the 525 are unique to 525 cars with cable shifters. Daytona 84-86, Laser 84-86, Lancer 85-early 87, and GTS 85-early 87. Im sure the boots are old and hard on the end of your cables, allowing water to seep in.

Thanks, guys, I'll see what I can do.

GLHSKEN
01-27-2006, 11:57 AM

Woops... thanks for the correction, I was thinking 88 for some reason

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Woops... thanks for the correction, I was thinking 88 for some reason

:nod:

sergio
01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
it's pretty easy to check which trans you have. The 525s have a tag on the bottom listing everything; the 520's is on the top.

85shelbycharger
01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
it's pretty easy to check which trans you have. The 525s have a tag on the bottom listing everything; the 520's is on the top.

Yep, thats the easiest way to tell. 520's have a round tag compared to the 525's square/rectangular tag.

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I'm all over that when I get home. I tried it again when i stopped home for lunch. Shifter will move now, but pulling it into reverse just sticks it into 1st.

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Sounds like while you were moving it against the frozen cable you might have pulled it out of adjustment a little inside the console. I bet if you readjust it, reverse will be fine. As for the freezing up, you need to run something through the cables to displace any water that's in there. The oil in a baggie zip tied around the cable trick works great, but I'd start off with something light first to try to push the water out.
HTH,

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
If the cables are the same as 523 cables, i have a nice set of those, equipped with new booger bushings.

If not, well...then i guess i have some work to do. ;)

PS - You can readjust the shifter? That i've never done.

WLKivett
01-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I had the same situation happen a few years ago. Turned out the previous owner had put the wrong trans fluid in. The fluid would thinken when cold.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
I just replaced the fluid with motor oil not too long ago. So in that respect it should be kosher. I'm really thinking it's the cables. Oh well, i should be able to find out tomorrow. It's supposed to be nice out.

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 03:57 PM
If the cables are the same as 523 cables, i have a nice set of those, equipped with new booger bushings.

If not, well...then i guess i have some work to do. ;)

PS - You can readjust the shifter? That i've never done.

Yeah, granted all my experience comes from Daytonas but there should be a removable piece of fiberboard backed carpeting on either side of the console. If you take those out, I'm pretty sure you can get at the adjustments without pulling the whole console. It's just a matter of loosening the bolt, moving the shifter a bit and tightening the bolt back up. There's a seperate adjustment for each cable and they both work basically the same way.
If you're getting 1st when the shifter is in reverse, you need to loosen the side-to-side adjustment, move the shifter a little to the pass. side, and tighten the adjustment back up. That should get reverse back. You'll probably have to play with it some to get it to feel exactly right.
I'd say what has happened is that the adjustment moved when you were fighting the shifter against the frozen cable.
HTH,

Subliminal
01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Tony!

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Tony!

Quite welcome.:thumb:
I'd definately still look into running some lube through those cables though. You need to do something to displace the water or it's going to keep freezing on you. Either that or replace 'em if the other ones you have will fit, but keep the old ones as spares. Chances are, you get the water out they'll be fine.

ssheen
01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Anyone ever find new bellows for the end of the cables? Mine are shot, and when it gets cold does the same thing.

5sp. mini
01-28-2006, 08:44 AM
mine have been the pass side cable. and all of my boots are bad just have not seen any boot that will fit. AL

bfarroo
01-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Also I've noticed on 3 different daytonas that the cable rubs on a bolt that goes through the fire wall that holds the plastic cover/boot for the stearing column. Eventually it rubs through and water gets into the cable at that spot. Could be another thing to check before trying to lube the cables. I remove this bolt from my daytonas now before it damages the cable.

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 01:57 AM
I've always had pretty good luck with sliding a piece of hose over a worn spot in the cable insulation and clamping it at both ends. Haven't ever tried it on a shifter cable, but it has worked well for keeping the moisture out on other cables and should work for that.
HTH,