PDA

View Full Version : Bead Blasting Pistons

Mario
04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Bead blasting pistons, good idea or bad one (provided they are thoroughly cleaned).

I tried running a search, but came up dry.

johnl
04-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Don't really know - just some thoughts - what I think I know:lol: .

Bead blasting with glass beads - probably a bad idea as it leaves grit, broken pieces of glass embedded in the surface. Also, glass beads generally tear up the surface. No matter how well you clean it - pieces of silica will come out of it when the engine runs.

Blasting with other media - walnut shells and the like - probably an OK idea for cleaning.

Remember, blasting anything tends to work harden the surface of that which is blasted.

During lean financial times (I am not lean physically:lol: ) I have "restored" the dimensions of pistons by shot peening the interiors of the skirts. Before someone goes off and does this, be aware that you are making the piston more likely to break - work hardening - bending back a skirt that has collapsed - or pushing it to where it has never been. Also, you must know what the piston's dimensions should be before you blast it. It is easy to move a skirt too much with shot. As for dimensions you must know the taper and the barrel of a new one and then, working slowly and measuring as you go, try to work the piston's shape with the shot back to what it is supposed to be. Be sure to cork the pin holes before you start. I know a clever cheap skate who uses many many taps from a light weight welding pick hammer to push out the thrust faces of pistons that have lost their taper.

GLHS0658
04-17-2007, 12:39 AM
^ Above is true
I have glass beaded pistons before. Tape off the ring lands. Turn the air compressor down to 40 psi as to not imbed the glass beads and only clean the top of the piston.

Mike

jre97
04-17-2007, 02:39 AM
^ Above is true
I have glass beaded pistons before. Tape off the ring lands. Turn the air compressor down to 40 psi as to not imbed the glass beads and only clean the top of the piston.

Mike

+1
It's great for removing carbon deposits which make hot spots and cause the dreaded detonation.

1FastCSX289
04-17-2007, 10:10 AM
I have media blasted pistons before as well prior to coating them.

Directconnection
04-17-2007, 12:24 PM
If coating them, it's ok. Never blast the ringlands though. No coating, don't hit the skirts with the media then, only the tops.

Devsdaytona
05-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Like someone said, only do the tops and nothing else, use some tape around the skirts to help keep it protected.