PDA

View Full Version : Looking into chemical intercooling as opposed to a FMIC(T1)

flatlander757
04-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I've been reading and this alky/water injection thing seems really flippin neato:eyebrows:

I've read a lot on here and I THINK I would like to give it a try instead of spending about the same amount of money(though probably more) aquiring a different radiator/intercooler/airbox/hoses/fittings/clamps/etc etc.

An overall goal for my car is to have a quick car in the 12-13 second 1/4mi range on DOT tires that is basically a wolf in sheep's clothing. Adding an intercooler of course makes it look much more potent in the eyes of ricers... it's fairly reasonable to think "he doesn't have an intercooler, it's got no real potential" since you can't -see- the intercooler in plain sight.

For the time being I want to run up to 14psi on my little mitsu... of course it gets crazy hot and my car is pushing 140k miles, so I don't want to do that without some form of intercooling.

In my own logic it seems that a Devilsown progressive kit would be the wisest choice since I don't have an air-to-air IC to take car of the low-mid boost levels so it would be good to have it come on gradually from like 6psi on.

I've read a few pages that explain alcohol/water injection in general, but I've got some other questions:

If you have the stock computer cal taking care of your fuel, wouldn't alcohol injection screw up the A/F ratio? Or does it take so little that it's more-or-less unaffected(unless you're purposely using it as your fuel of course)? Or would that call for straight water injection so it only cools and doesn't act as a fuel?

Would it be possible to only have a controller provide enough alky for cooling up until 14.7psi and then dump much more to take over fueling as well(after zenered MAP of course)?

Whorse
04-14-2007, 06:42 PM
For your latter question, a progressive injection kit like the Devilsown will do that. The main reason for intercooling is to prevent detonation. Alcohol is a higher octane than gasoline, which is why it works.

whistlin'
04-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Would it be possible to only have a controller provide enough alky for cooling up until 14.7psi and then dump much more to take over fueling as well(after zenered MAP of course)?

You could do that with the progressive kit, then add a pressure switch and solenoid. If for example you were running the progressive kit with a 5 gph nozzle coming on at 6 psi and maxing out at 15, your pump would be at full pressure when the second nozzle came online. I could throw nozzle sizes out there but would recommend talking with someone who has more knowledge.