PDA

View Full Version : IDing a TBI head

jeremyshelby
04-13-2007, 11:31 PM
OK i need some help with this head......I had this left over from a parts car it was left in the trunk so i grabbed it before i sent it to the crusher....it is a TBI head since it is not stamped with the T for turbo and does not have turbo valve cover. It is a roller cam and has a square tooth sprocket on the front it is a 782 head. How can I tell if this is from a 2.2 or a 2.5...how can i determine if it is a 88 or 89...where is the build date found....what other info can i find out before i dig up a dial indicator and measure the lift....I am searching for an 88 TBI cam for my turbo 2 build up. From what i hear i want the 2.2 cam..is there a difference...any one provide me some more detail.

any help is appreciated.

tryingbe
04-13-2007, 11:56 PM
2.2 uses the SAME head as 2.5

If the head was for a 89 car, it would have round tooth cam gear.

turbovanmanČ
04-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Year doesn't matter. Due to parts swapping, mechanics not knowing, rebuild shops the same, theres no guarantee any head is the right one. Cams are another PITA as there not marked so the only way to tell is to measure it.

Some turbo heads were stamped TS and were cross drilled, some had T's on the exhaust valves, some have squirters for sliders, you get the idea.

TurboJerry
04-14-2007, 03:00 AM
'89 and newer heads all used the turbo exhaust valves. That's why they don't have the "T" on them..... It's easy to make a TBI head into a turbo one though.

mo' parts
04-14-2007, 07:57 AM
on the front of the head by the head temp sensor and ac mounting boss you will see a circle, this will have the year stamped into it. as for what cam is in it, better get the dial caliper out.:)