PDA

View Full Version : Future SDAC goal?

supercrackerbox
04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
http://www.hemmings.com/newsletter/newsletter.html?volume=2&issue=44&id=1034&refer=news&emlid=51763#1034

Mini drivers really are a gregarious bunch, aren’t they?

Three years ago, the Vancouver, British Columbia, Mini club brought together 195 classic and new Minis to capture the Guinness World Record for the longest Mini convoy in the world. Now, proving the old adage that records are made to be broken, 269 Mini owners have gathered in Blackpool, England, to wrest the crown from their Canadian counterparts.

The event raised funds for the UK organization Comic Relief, which supports social justice causes in Britain and Africa. “We really wanted to do something for Comic Relief this year, and the ‘longest Mini convoy ever’ seemed to fit the theme of ‘The Big One,’” said James Rashid, one of the organizers. “We never imagined it would become this big! Hearty congratulations to my team for pulling it off, and thanks to all the Mini owners for making it happen!”

If the combination of the coastal resort town of Blackpool and a vehicle parade rings a bell, you may be thinking of last year’s TVR parade in London, which drew nearly 500 vehicles for a show of support for the then ailing (and now dormant) Blackpool manufacturer. Neither parade, Mini nor TVR, is the longest single-marque parade in Guinness’s book; they give credit to 249 Mazda owners who turned out in New Zealand in 2005. Though we don’t see it among Guinness’s pages, we have to think that the overall record belongs to the 1,600 Citroën DSs that swarmed in Paris last year in commemoration of the car’s 50th anniversary. Maybe they’re still working on the application.

Want to set a record for the longest parade of your favorite car? The minimum requirements call for a parade of at least two miles, with the cars no further than 10 meters apart (that’s about 33 feet). You can find out more about the whole record-setting business at www.guinnessworldrecords.com.
- By David LaChance

According to this, the largest single-marque parade in the book was 249 cars, I wonder if we could beat that some year?

sdac guy
04-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Do the cars have to run under their own power? Can they be towed or pushed?

If they gotta run that cuts our qualified field about in half (or more). :lol:

Barry

supercrackerbox
04-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Hmm, good point.

mcsvt
04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
How about the people with multiple cars and only one person to drive them? Can I tow my other car behind? May have to recruit SDAC wannabies to drive our spare cars :D

Tony Fields
04-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Do the cars have to run under their own power? Can they be towed or pushed?

If they gotta run that cuts our qualified field about in half (or more). :lol:

Barry

Thats funny......I don't care who you are!:lol:

Tony Fields
04-13-2007, 08:33 PM
I will say that I do have 4 and they all run.......but then, the day isn't over yet!

Clay
04-13-2007, 10:35 PM
the largest gathering of TDs can be found in a junk yard near you! ;)