PDA

View Full Version : So I found a rotting daytona...

ShadowFromHell
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I was out following some house for sale signs today and stumbled upon a blue 2gn tona, that had the cooling slits in the nose. It had a hood bump, and appeared to have body colored GFX. to the best of my knowledge, this makes its a 90+ car. My question for you guys is what engine options it could have, and what it would be more likely to have. I am going to try and talk to the owners of the property later this week.

thanks

sexygomer
04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
actually,f it had the bulge hood, you'd be looking at a 2.2 t2+5 speed (shelby) 2.5 t1+auto (shelby or ES) or 2.5 t1+5 speed (ES) good luck

DC Turismo
04-13-2007, 08:27 AM
If it is a '90+, then its either a 2.5 T1 (can be 5 speed or auto) OR a VNT T4. I am a bit unsure as to whether or not ES's were produced with the hood bulge/turbo package?

Definitely go talk to them though. It'll be worth your while to in any case!

Orangetona
04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
ES turbo daytonas have the buldge hood and the non turbo ones didnt.

Tony Hanna
04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
If it's 90+ it could be a v6 car. It's my understanding that some of the v6 cars got a bulge hood as well. I could be wrong though.

Orangetona
04-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Ive never heard that, anything is possible I guess.

TurboRon25
04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I've seen a couple like that. One was a "special edition". It looked like a white VNT (white pumpers) with V6 badges.

Ron

Tony Hanna
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I've noticed it more on Shadows than anything else, but was pretty sure it applied to Daytonas as well.

sexygomer
04-19-2007, 09:27 PM
If it is a '90+, then its either a 2.5 T1 (can be 5 speed or auto) OR a VNT T4. I am a bit unsure as to whether or not ES's were produced with the hood bulge/turbo package?

Definitely go talk to them though. It'll be worth your while to in any case!

damn forgot about the VNT

bfarroo
04-19-2007, 09:35 PM
All ES models had the bulge hood reguardless of motor option. I've seen them from the 2.5 NA to the 3.0 v6. I've even seen an ES T-top car with a 2.5 NA motor although it was a 89. Either way I'd check it out. Could be something simple wrong with it like a broken timing belt or bad HEP or a valve off.

ShadowFromHell
04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Sorry I havent got out to look at it guys, my GF hurt her back and has been out of work for a week so money is a little tighter then ushaul. Ill hopfully get out there at the end of the month and check it out. I REALLY dont need another car but I guess this could replace my 86 Ny. lol.

Orangetona
04-20-2007, 06:43 PM
All ES models had the bulge hood reguardless of motor option. I've seen them from the 2.5 NA to the 3.0 v6. I've even seen an ES T-top car with a 2.5 NA motor although it was a 89. Either way I'd check it out. Could be something simple wrong with it like a broken timing belt or bad HEP or a valve off.

Im sorry to disagree but thats completely false. Not all ES models came with the bulge hood. The ES t-top car isnt very rare, I almost bought one actually haha. More than likely, if its not a turbo engine its a V6.

WickedShelby88
04-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I found an 89 t-top in a junkyard the other day. Was a complete strip down model with only an auto and power windows and mirrors. Was just a TBI car at that. The weirdest thing was no airbag.

contraption22
04-22-2007, 09:28 AM
When it comes to hoods on late-model chryslers, there are no rules. There are SOHC neons with DOHC hoods, just because supposedly they were in short supply of flat hoods.

ShadowFromHell
04-22-2007, 03:04 PM
I had a sohc neon witha bump hood. It was a r-dot and not the facotry hood so who knows.

I went back out and looked at the car and now it looks like there is no bump :( I went to go to the owners door and he had a big dog laying on the porch so i didnt go knock. I was also driving my stock quite NY so they didnt hear the car either. Maybe Ill stop by today in my muffler less neon and see if they will come out side.

Turbodave
04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
I've had a couple of 89 ES daytonas with flat hoods, both of them were 2.5 TBI cars.

My 93 Shadow ES included the bulge hood as part of the ES option package however, even though it came with a 2.5 TBI

My 95 Neon Sport Coupe also came stock with a bulge hood, even though it's a SOHC. The hood was part of the sport coupe package, which also included the DOHC engine, but many cars like mine were sold with a SOHC engine and a credit applied to the price.

So basically Chrysler is all over the place on what gets a bulge hood or not. The best bet when trying to identify what engine the car has is to either look under the hood, or read the VIN tag on the dash. The 8th digit tells you what engine is in there. The list of what the codes mean is in our knowledge center.