PDA

View Full Version : Question for those using small batteries!

3Bar_Mopar
12-21-2005, 04:08 AM
More specifically, the lawn and garden or motorcycle batteries...
I need a new battery and of course I want one as small as possible and cheap as possible too.

My questions:
1. Will a small lawn and garden tractor battery work well for daily driving without being drained or putting too much strain on the alternator?

2. How do I connect a top post clamp to said battery that has those funky tabs?

I'd much rather get one of those if it will work since they're only like $14.99 compared to the cheapest "car" battery at $29.99...plus those cheap car batteries are HUGE!

Thanks!!

Aries_Turbo
12-21-2005, 04:24 AM
i have a garden tractor battery from tractor supply company. works awesome. no issues. starts in cold weather too.

for the terminals, i went over to the welding section in the same store and got some terminals. then i hacked off the original terminals off the cables and crimped and soldered (with a torch) the new terminals on. few bolts and washers later, i was in business.

Brian

guyd_15
12-21-2005, 04:39 AM
I have used them in the past with no problems. Even in 5 to 10 degree temperatures. Generally a rule of thumb is that a battery can be used that provides 1 cold cranking amp (CCA it's on the battery tag) per cubic inch. Our engines are in the 135 cubic inch range. Most decent lawn tractor batteries are now in the 300 to 350 CCA range. As far as terminal ends most battery suppliers now sell adapters that will convert the battery post for use with automotive cable ends.
Guy Douglas

Anonymous_User
12-21-2005, 05:41 AM
I too have used the lawn and garden batteries without problems.

To connect them you can cut off your ends as posted above and crimp on a regular one-hole end then bolt to the battery, or you can just pull the bolt out of your cable, open up your cable end a bit, and re-insert the bolt through your cable end with the battery tab in the middle and tighten.

For me, the L&G batteries don't last more than a year. Thats in the car or in my lawn mower. But for 20-30 bucks I can buy one each year.

3Bar_Mopar
12-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys....I'll probably go with the L&G battery after all....I might see if I can mount it up in the cowl if it's small enough!

altered7151
12-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I've ran a L&G battery as well and never had any problems, drove it back and forth to work and school everyday through the winter here in Reno, always started like a champ. I mounted it on the passenger side, and used some moroso cable ends from summit, 2 in a pack for like 6 bucks.

briceturbosports
12-21-2005, 06:30 PM
i run one i would't buy a cheep one that's the only thing

altered7151
12-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Got mine at walmart for like 17.99

Tony Hanna
12-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I used one of the $18 L&G walmart specials. It started life on the lawnmower, started the 307 v8 in an Olds 98 for an entire winter, and then ended up on the Daytona until the trans died. The only time I ever had any trouble out of it was when I'd leave accessories on without the engine running.
If you spend much time listening to your radio, etc. with the engine off, it might be worthwhile to invest in a jumper pack to carry with you.
You can set it out when racing to save weight, but you'll be glad you have it if you need it.
Tony

Una
12-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Tip: Take the jumper pack apart..It's got a gel-cell lawnmower sized battery in it.. Use that in your car. ;)

3Bar_Mopar
12-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Tip: Take the jumper pack apart..It's got a gel-cell lawnmower sized battery in it.. Use that in your car. ;)

hmmmm...idea. thanks for complicating things!:p

Tony Hanna
12-22-2005, 02:46 AM

I'd actually thought about that since I didn't have any money in mine, but I figured as soon as I did, I'd need it to start one of the other vehicles.:p
Tony

rbryant
12-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Is the jumper pack battery really supposed to be charged continuously by the alternator?

Is it supposed to be cycled as often as the car battery?

There are a lot of different battery types out there. It would also be possible to use a SLA (sealed lead acid) wheelchair battery because they are cheap but they are deep cycle batteries aren't really rated for CCA and might die prematurely because of that.

I finally broke down and paid the $125 or so for a smaller odyssey 925.

-Rich

Una
12-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Is the jumper pack battery really supposed to be charged continuously by the alternator?

Is it supposed to be cycled as often as the car battery?

There are a lot of different battery types out there. It would also be possible to use a SLA (sealed lead acid) wheelchair battery because they are cheap but they are deep cycle batteries aren't really rated for CCA and might die prematurely because of that.

I finally broke down and paid the $125 or so for a smaller odyssey 925.

-Rich
It's a 12v Gel Cell, just like an Optima.. It's perfectly fine being used as the car's primary battery. SLA is generally the same thing as a Gel Cell. Mazda Miata's came from the factory is SLA batteries (Panasonic to be exact). Their primary downfall is charging them too fast or at too high a voltage, it'll cook them. Harley Davidson sells Gel Cell motorcycle batteries, that's a more expensive route...

turbovanmanČ
12-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Hmmmmm, this thread is funny, I was going to use a LM battery last year, got one from Interstate but never got around to it. I could use the room as my cold air setup sits on top of it and it would shave a few pounds. I might have to reconsider using it but then again, I do go camping and leave my radio on and use the interior lights often.

3Bar_Mopar
12-27-2005, 06:21 PM
I got a L&G battery today. It cost me $15 and so far so good....it started the car no problem after it's been sitting for a few months.
It's got 175 cranking amps and 140 CCA. Do you think I'll be OK? It's the Walmart brand.

rbryant
12-27-2005, 08:21 PM
It's a 12v Gel Cell, just like an Optima.. It's perfectly fine being used as the car's primary battery. SLA is generally the same thing as a Gel Cell. Mazda Miata's came from the factory is SLA batteries (Panasonic to be exact). Their primary downfall is charging them too fast or at too high a voltage, it'll cook them. Harley Davidson sells Gel Cell motorcycle batteries, that's a more expensive route...

Gel and SLA are slightly different technologies. SLA is just lead acid with an absorbant mat to keep them non spillable. Gel cells are actually gel. Usually Gel cells do require special chargers.

From what I have read not all SLAs are built for the same purpose. I was really considering using a wheelchair SLA that was about 26Ah and about $30 but I am not sure it would really have the cranking amps because it was designed as a deep cycle battery.

Anyway I bought the odyssey 925 so who knows if the $125 was worth it but it is a small battery designed to be used in a car and it is pretty...

pictures:

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/images/odyssey925/Odyssey925top.jpg

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/images/odyssey925/Odyssey925side.jpg

-Rich

altered7151
12-27-2005, 11:14 PM
I got a L&G battery today. It cost me $15 and so far so good....it started the car no problem after it's been sitting for a few months.
It's got 175 cranking amps and 140 CCA. Do you think I'll be OK? It's the Walmart brand.

Thats what I have, worked great. Even through our winter here last year which was our worst in about 50 years.

3Bar_Mopar
12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Thats what I have, worked great. Even through our winter here last year which was our worst in about 50 years.

You have the exact same one?
I was kinda worried it might not work well because of it's relatively low CCA and very light weight...

altered7151
12-28-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm pretty sure mine the same, I'll double check and let you know though.

3Bar_Mopar
12-28-2005, 01:55 AM
I'm pretty sure mine the same, I'll double check and let you know though.

Cool!
I can pick mine up with one hand by grabbing it from the top....it feels like it's between 6 and 10 pounds. I'm digging the light weight. :thumb:
Where is your mounted? Mine's in the stock location for now. not held down yet.....I don't know if it would fit under the cowl cover.

altered7151
12-28-2005, 02:27 AM
My bad, mine is 350CA, 275CCA. Its still pretty small, and definitally can pick up with one hand. It was like $19.95 when I bought it.

turbovanmanČ
12-29-2005, 05:08 PM

hahhaaa, worst winter, why, what did it reach, 5 deg Celcius, bwahahahaaa, :eyebrows:

Gel and SLA are slightly different technologies. SLA is just lead acid with an absorbant mat to keep them non spillable. Gel cells are actually gel. Usually Gel cells do require special chargers.

From what I have read not all SLAs are built for the same purpose. I was really considering using a wheelchair SLA that was about 26Ah and about $30 but I am not sure it would really have the cranking amps because it was designed as a deep cycle battery.

Anyway I bought the odyssey 925 so who knows if the $125 was worth it but it is a small battery designed to be used in a car and it is pretty...

-Rich

Where did you get that from? looks very cool and very small, :thumb:

GLHSKEN
12-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Desparation is the mother of invention

altered7151
12-29-2005, 07:43 PM
hahhaaa, worst winter, why, what did it reach, 5 deg Celcius, bwahahahaaa, :eyebrows:

lol, smart ---. It actually got down into the single digits here for a couple weeks. I forgot you canadians take such great pride in your miserable winters;)