PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Brakes

moparman76_69
04-10-2007, 11:08 AM
On the Back of the truck on the driver's side there is some kind of cylinder that has three lines in it. Two from the front of the truck and one that looks like it runs to the rear end for the wheel cylinders. It has a lever that is attached to some springs that run to a bracket on the front shackle. I think this is some kind of Hyd. E-brake setup. Anyway the cylinder is shot and all the fittings are rusted in tighter than a nun. Anybody know if I can get a replacement for the cylinder or if it can be bypassed and how? Also found out some assclown used compression unions to section in a new piece of line instead of double-flare, so looks like I'm replacing all the hard lines in the truck.

Clay
04-10-2007, 11:52 AM
hmmmm might be some kind of load sensing system for the rear brakes. The Rampages had sometime similar from the factory. Bypass should be easy.

buy a double flared union, and run a line to a rubber line over the rear axle. Run that to a block just like the factory, and two lines from the block to each wheel cylinder.

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Its a load sensing device based on how much weight your carrying or not. I have bypassed them before, just go to the prop valve and plug one line off, then run another line to the back like a normal car.

moparman76_69
04-10-2007, 01:45 PM
just talked to my dad and he said the same thing. lol I just noticed I put this in the wrong place, meant for it to go in "I need help." He used to be a Ford tech and said some Fords had it too.

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2007, 01:46 PM
just talked to my dad and he said the same thing. lol I just noticed I put this in the wrong place, meant for it to go in "I need help." He used to be a Ford tech and said some Fords had it too.

Lots of vehicles have it, Ford trucks, old school VW's, my van.

JDAWG
04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
its a really stupid setup that senses if the truck lifts in the back it applys the rear abs, ie you slam the brakes, the nose dives and the back lifts, they only used it like 2 years. I thinks some parts are avail at the dealer, but if it was mine I would bypass it

moparman76_69
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah I'm bypassing it seems like its somewhat useless on a truck with a towing capacity of 2000 lbs.

ShelbyMotorsports
04-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Sounds like you have the first year Dakota and yes its a mechanical load sensing contraption that regulates the line pressure to the rear brakes.

its a really stupid setup that senses if the truck lifts in the back it applys the rear abs, ie you slam the brakes, the nose dives and the back lifts, they only used it like 2 years. I thinks some parts are avail at the dealer, but if it was mine I would bypass it

jdawg the 1986 1/2 -1987 Dakotas do not have ABS. Rear ABS started in 1988 along with TBI fuel injection.