PDA

View Full Version : odd boost problem

mark
04-09-2007, 10:50 AM
well.. I am definitely a failure to follow the "change one things at a time" procedure.

I redid my charge pipes ( i had shitloads of pinholes in them) and removed the e-bay RFL and went with a dsm gen-1 bov with the boost ref port blocked from boost and vented to atmosphere... I also changed from a wg can bleed back to computer control. Once my trimcal comes in I do not want to use a bleed. All vacume lines have been replaced with new.

the problem is the car pulls fine up to 18/19 psi but on the xway that will drop back to 10 psi after a 3 sec wot run...

troubleshooting done: I tried different size restrictors for the wg can (red/yellow/white, smallest to largest) and the same thing for all of them. I tried adding preload tension to the wg can, and using a spring as well. same thing. I removed the vac line from the wg can completely and it went right up and I was able to use my foot and feather it to hold around 20.

I'm wondering if my wg can solenoid may be faulty? ideas?

Also, question on the DSM bov. I installed it... its working, but when im on the xway and feather the gas and its around 20in vac there is a whistle sound. It almost sounds like a beeping. I thought it was my radio at first. is this typical of the dsm 1g bovs making this sound with the boost ref port mod? It is uncrushed.

this isnt my daily driver, but any assistance would be awsome.
Tonight I'm going to go back to the MBC and try that.

I have not checked for any codes yet.

shelby zed
04-09-2007, 01:08 PM
well since boost cutout is 14.7 without a map bleed it will overboost, causing the engine to cut fuel.. this could be what your talking about?
it also sounds like your wastegate vaccum line is off

mark
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
wastegate vacum line is on. if it was off the car would overboost. the car is not over boosting. its boosting to where it should be 18/19 and dropping back to 10psi. I have a 3 bar map and a 3 bar cal.

I'm suspecting the wg can solenoid.

GiliboY
04-19-2007, 10:10 AM
wastegate vacum line is on. if it was off the car would overboost. the car is not over boosting. its boosting to where it should be 18/19 and dropping back to 10psi. I have a 3 bar map and a 3 bar cal.

I'm suspecting the wg can solenoid.

I think your problem it's in your bov, try another , i had the same problem but with 17psi and a T2 bov, it dropped pressure very fast to 10psi..

Orangetona
05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Mark, did you fix this problem? I know this is an old thread but im thinking that since your car is hooked to the WG solenoid this is your problem.

mark
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
im working on it, im going back and forth between bovs, and since i just redid the wastegate assembly and a new bracket, its doing the same thing with a turboXS bleed i have, so its not the solenoid, but solenoid control is my ultimate goal... i'm pooped, i have had my car for just about a year, and tonight i just got the heater/ac fan to work! not that the car has a/c anymore, but running the heater to help it cool down sure makes a huge difference, plus i can drive it in colder weather :) *NOT SNOW!*. got the rad fan thing fixed, and the cold idle problem too (new ais, 9 bucks shipped NIB ebay :) ). then i found out i has a engine light on, and the car bucking, and running like crap... then i realized i must have forgot to plug the TP sensor in.. yep, that was it!

i'm finally getting this car close to where i'd like it, few minor cosmetic things, few little more power adders.. then the r/t can go awol from the garage and it's the chargers turn! yeee hawww :)

ps: i am psyched for next dodge meet. we should meet bi weekly :)

Orangetona
05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Bi weekly eh? Thats a lot of gas for me! :D

Glad the car seems to be coming along. I look forward to the next meeting also. :)

Dr.Evil
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
My R/T is doing the same exact thing. It spikes to where it should be 18-20, and then just drops off to 10-14. I've tried different boost controllers, the factory boost control set-up, different BOV's, no BOV and it still does it. I'm pretty sure its a problem with the wastgate housing. I'm betting there is a small crack in it not allowing it to hold the boost. I am hoping a hybrid will take car of the problem and I can really start to enjoy the car. The way it sits now it made 237WHP/250TQ and that was with it only holding 11PSI. Let me know if you figure it out, because it really sounds like we have the same issue.

mark
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
i have a new wg can coming. it should be here tuesday, i'll update this thread when i get it on the car and stuff and let you know.

I will say this, as much as I like the loud "fake" rfl, its a piece of crap.
when you put a vac guage on it it does not hold vacum, so it leaks on the vacum side.. if thats the case, how can it accurately pull the piston open, and push against the piston while in boost, that can be considered a vac/boost leak. the only way ive had it hold vacum is putting thick grease on the screw threads on it, and coating the piston with thick grease, but it always wears away and leaks there... do REAL RFL's have a seal or somethign to prevent this?