PDA

View Full Version : LSD - Quaife / OBX / etc strength survey

BadAssPerformance
01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm in need of an LSD and just curious what what everyone is using for an LSD and how much power and abuse it has lived up to.

Please list what LSD (Quaif, OBX, Phantom Grip, etc) plus vehicle HP from dyno or ET@mph and race weight...

...how many miles you've put on it, and/or problems you've had with it would be good too.

Thanks!

The S is Silent
01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
JT, from what I have read on neons.org, the OBX has been holding up really well...the problem the honda peeps were having with their axles getting caught was evidently changed in the next design.

I don't have anything really constructive to add, I'm just interested in what other people have to say, because I need one too.

2.216VTurbo
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
The Quaife I have is on it's second car with me. It was originally in my Shelby Lancer that made 325ftlbs and it never gave me a bit of trouble. It's in my GLHS now and that car makes over 400 (when I am not burning thru cal's :o ) no trouble in that car either. I think there is no question about the durability of the Quaife's.

The OBX I have is just this week going into my TC Masi wich should test the durability of it pretty quickly. It's a 3000lb car that makes over 300 HP so it is hard a trans/driveline pieces. My plan to have the OBX cryo'd before install fell thru because of timing and the cost of cryo in California. I have read post about cryo places back east for as little as $6. per pound of product treated. Best I could find in the SoCal area is $10. a pund with some places twice that:eek:

MockGLH has hundreds of passes (mostly 1/8th mile but he has a solid 11 second car) on his OBX and no issues with it.

moparbob
01-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Who sells the obx? Need one for my 92 iroc R/t. Thanks.

Murphy
01-26-2006, 05:42 PM
find them on ebay... there like $400-425 i think NIB

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I have a AB unit in my trans, with the shaved side gears and green springs, brand new. Unfortunatley, the trans let go right after but for the 2 weeks I used it, it was awesome. I will add more when I get that trans put back in.

87csx2.4
01-26-2006, 07:02 PM
I just bought an obx Im going to have it cryo treated and install in the automatic in the daytona.I also put a 904 300m input shaft in the trans I have a guy that works in our powertrain dept. here with a lot of experience with helical gears im going to have him check the obx out and see what he thinks.Some people say that the clearances on the obx are to much,I talked to the man that makes the peliquin lsd for the vw guys he said that is a good thing for drag racers.He told me he has to loosen the clearances up on high horsepower applications because he has seen a couple of times were if the gears are set to tight they weld themselves together in the burnout box.Last year I ran the t-trac with the one clutch it has performed flawlessly,but I only went to the track once with the slicks.I have done several burnouts though and had no problems but im thinking its just a matter of time.

Pat
01-26-2006, 09:50 PM
The quaife in my car has been flawless in both the RT and the Shadow. Been in the 370-380 whp range and I've run it hard in both cars.

MOPAR2YA
01-27-2006, 12:52 AM
I also have a Quaife and flat love it. Its been flawless and you dont even know its in there other than excellent traction.

I am also getting a OBX to try and will also cryo mine as well. If you want yours done I can get it for 3.25-3.50 per pound. I have 5 sets of cams going in, so let me know if I can help you out.

87csx2.4
01-27-2006, 02:57 AM
I also have a Quaife and flat love it. Its been flawless and you dont even know its in there other than excellent traction.

I am also getting a OBX to try and will also cryo mine as well. If you want yours done I can get it for 3.25-3.50 per pound. I have 5 sets of cams going in, so let me know if I can help you out.will do wallace got some other things I need done too.

boost geek
01-29-2006, 04:11 PM
My OBX lsd works awesome! My daily driver shelby charger is finally on the road, with 2 adults and 3 kids in the car, this thing will not spin tires on a tight wet corner. So far I am VERY impressed by it! :thumb:

inmyshadow
01-29-2006, 04:56 PM
I've been running a quaife eqiuped 568 since summer 01. Never had a problem with it.

Cliff Ramsdell
01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I had a Quaife in both transmissions I ran in my wagon. The first was a stock R/T 568 with a 555/568 Quaife and the second was a T350 Neon Quaife with the hybrid 523/568 transmission.

372HP and 417 ft lbs of torque and not a single problem.

I'm in need of an LSD and just curious what what everyone is using for an LSD and how much power and abuse it has lived up to.

Please list what LSD (Quaif, OBX, Phantom Grip, etc) plus vehicle HP from dyno or ET@mph and race weight...

...how many miles you've put on it, and/or problems you've had with it would be good too.

Thanks!

GLHS377
02-07-2006, 02:27 PM
a quaife is ridiculously strong. hence the lfietime warranty. the OBX is probabaly more than strong enough for an 8v, even if it's only half as "strong", which would be hard to pull of(being that much weaker with similar dimmensioning an design). the phantom grips types are also nearly inestructable themselves. the weak point there is the stock pinion shaft and gears. which, if the LSD is doing it's job, shouldn't be an issue.

what you should make your decision is how much you can drop on an diff. i think the quaife is worth it, enought to put my money where my mouth is and have on in my 568. which makes the obx an absolute bargain. much better than the PG type, even when you factor in that you need to set up your clearances all over on a new diff. unles you're just drag racing on a shoestring budget, i wouldn't even consider the PG type. especially for a road car. the torsen is the only choice for FWD if you want to turn AND accelerate. a clutch type LSD needs a high bias to actually provide any limit to slip, which means poorer turn in and cornering limits. on a street/strip only car, this can be a fine compromise. modern performance tires give very high limits, and taking some of that away isn't a real issue, even modern all seasons are grippy.
for an indepth analysis of how a torsen diff can improve turning and accelerating:

http://www.wincom.net/trog/tech_quaife.html

though there shouldn't be an issue with differential strength as long as you are using any type of slip limiting device. keep in mind that a torsen is even stronger than a spool, because the spool can see some incredible stresses just turning in the pits.
good luck!
-jason

t3rse
02-07-2006, 08:24 PM
i have an obx in my omni, it's only seen 20psi so far but i've been very happy. it was a little tight getting the passenger side shaft in, but i just took up the slack in the springs and rammed it in and it was all gravy. The car corners 100% better, and as for handling, it is the best improvement that my car has seen. I can actually go WOT and keep it straight with 1 finger now, with no power steering, it used to take two hands to keep it in a constant zig-zag.

as for durability, i have no clue...

BadAssPerformance
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
So Quaife or OBX... which neon trans' diff matches up with the A520?

Anyone got Quaife and/or OBX part numbers for us?

The S is Silent
02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
NV350 is the trans that was on the 420a. If you search on e-bay for "obx neon" and scroll down, the OBX diff is there. That's the cheapest new. Phantom HP (one of the neon vendors) sells one, but it's over $650, and you can get the same one on ebay for $450. Same exact thing...just not lining somebody's pocket on the way to your car.

I'm ordering one that way.

10G OMNI
02-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Honda guys that run the OBX put down 500-700hp and they hold up fine,OBX offers a lifetime warranty also.

OBX on e-bay $400

Quaife $1150

The choice is simple

boost geek
02-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Mitsubishi Eclipse 94-99 non turbo is also the same diff, total bolt in for a 520. I bought one, I love it!!!

Mario
02-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Mitsubishi Eclipse 94-99 non turbo is also the same diff, total bolt in for a 520. I bought one, I love it!!!

Yeah, and for a $100 more than those POS diff inserts, it's a no brainer.