PDA

View Full Version : Race muffler

Dave
04-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Someone posted in a thread here before to a link in either Summit or Jegs but I can't find it. It was a 6" long all out race muffler. Basically used only when a class states you need a muffler. Any leads?

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Its called a Dynomax Race Bullet.

Frank
04-08-2007, 05:02 PM
No, because those suck! ;)

Tony Hanna
04-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Its called a Dynomax Race Bullet.

I had a 3" side exit with a Dynomax race bullet on the Sundance for awhile. Stupid loud!

Birddog
04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
FLO-325108 case length 5.5"
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/flo-325108_m.jpg

Not even close to being fun in a street car...

Dave
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
No I meant there is something that's practically a straight pipe. I like stupid loud. ;)

Murphy
04-08-2007, 09:55 PM
then why run a muffler?

Tony Hanna
04-08-2007, 09:55 PM
No I meant there is something that's practically a straight pipe. I like stupid loud. ;)

The race bullet Simon and I were talking about is about as close as you're gonna get to straight pipe and still have a muffler. If you want your car to sound like a turbocharged Massey Ferguson farm tractor with no exhaust, this is the one for you.:thumb:

Frank
04-08-2007, 10:48 PM
The race bullet Simon and I were talking about is about as close as you're gonna get to straight pipe and still have a muffler. If you want your car to sound like a turbocharged Massey Ferguson farm tractor with no exhaust, this is the one for you.:thumb:

Well the Magnaflows are straight pipe and sound better IMHO. They too are straight threw with perforated pipe and stainless steel packing.

http://www.squirrelpf.com/frank/gallery/car_daytona/Img_2773.jpg

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2007, 10:59 PM
then why run a muffler?

Exactly. Unless you need to run one for rules, otherwise don't run anything or run a Magnaflow, Ultraflow etc.

Whorse
04-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I remember the thread from a few weeks ago. I don't think it was a dynomax, but it was pretty much not a muffler at all.

Tony Hanna
04-09-2007, 12:22 AM

Well the Magnaflows are straight pipe and sound better IMHO. They too are straight threw with perforated pipe and stainless steel packing.

I'm sure a Magnaflow does sound better than the race bullet Frank. It definitely couldn't sound any worse.:)

I was just trying to answer in the spirit of Bryan's post which sounds to me like he wants a muffler for the sake of having one, but with little or no change in sound and flow vs. straight pipe. The race bullet definitely fits the description there since it's short with a perforated core and the packing isn't very thick.

Some observations after having run a few months on the street with one:
1.Throw away your radio, you'll no longer be able to use it.

2.Keep plenty of earplugs and a big bottle of Excedrin in the vehicle at all times. You and any passengers will need it for trips over about 1/2 hour.

3.Be very aware of your surroundings and ready to lift off the gas at the slightest sign of a cop. A radar detector helps if you keep an eye on the lights. You definately won't be able to hear it beep.

4.Be prepared for questions and comments like "Muffler rust out?" and "You really need a new muffler!". Also, strange looks and people pointing and laughing. A thick skin is mandatory.

In closing, if it's not a track only vehicle, don't waste your time. Take Frank's advice and go with the Magnaflow or something similar that actually quiets the exhaust down a bit. Thinking about that constant head splitting roar driving the Sundance from Charleston to Marietta makes me want to hang myself with my shoelaces. Good thing I'm wearing boots I guess.:)
Tony

turboshadow
04-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Maybe something like this \http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24215&N=700+115&autoview=sku
Its all I run on my 2.5 side exit its loud but not unbearable

Anonymous_User
04-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Here's the link again.

I can get these locally if anyone wants. I'll have to check the price, but it's between 20 and 30 bucks each.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3568,46_Shorty-Muffler.html

edit: Locally, having any muffler is good enough regardless of the sound output.

WVRampage
04-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Summit has a cheap glass pack that comes in 3 inch as it is what I have on my 78 Ford and it sounds great and it was only some were around 35 bucks. and its not very big.

Anonymous_User
04-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Glass packs, Bullets, etc. etc.

Although they are cheap and do the trick, if you want every single last bit of backpressure reduction you can NOT find anything better than these.

All this is is a piece of 3" pipe welded inside a larger pipe. The inner pipe has ONE perforation in it. The absolue minimum definition of muffler.

Many authorities and class rules will require a muffler. This will suffice.

***Personally I run the Bullet muffler. I have run these on my V8 car right on the headers. It gets you into a 'street' class, but it is just as loud as open headers***

BIGBRUDDA
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Good lookin "wire job", Frank !!:lol:

Dave
04-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Here's the link again.

I can get these locally if anyone wants. I'll have to check the price, but it's between 20 and 30 bucks each.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3568,46_Shorty-Muffler.html

edit: Locally, having any muffler is good enough regardless of the sound output.

Thank you that's one! Thanks. Just placed my order... Simon, yes I need one for my local street class yet a loud exhaust doesn't bother me the least bit. I ran my Spirit around town all the time with an open cutout.

You guys and your precious hearing. :) BTW I'm using a full 3" exhaust with a Dynomax and it's too quiet for me.

slasky
04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Good lookin "wire job", Frank !!:lol:

It is not wire. I am sure it is a high tech government exhaust hanger made by Lockheed Martin.

just8av8
04-09-2007, 11:56 AM
i run a borla xr-1...sounds good and is straight through

Anonymous_User
04-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I thought that was to be the power wire for his LED illuminated 5" exhaust tip!

turbovanmanČ
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Thank you that's one! Thanks. Just placed my order... Simon, yes I need one for my local street class yet a loud exhaust doesn't bother me the least bit. I ran my Spirit around town all the time with an open cutout.

You guys and your precious hearing. :) BTW I'm using a full 3" exhaust with a Dynomax and it's too quiet for me.

Ahhhhhhh, to be young and have good hearing, :lol:

Tony Hanna
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Tell me about it! I wish I'd taken better care of mine in the past. Too many noisy power houses and chemical plants without earplugs, loud cars, and loud music. All that is starting to catch up to me.:o

Birddog
04-09-2007, 06:14 PM

After 5 years of open header big blocks there ain't much precious hearing left..:D

turbovanmanČ
04-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Tell me about it! I wish I'd taken better care of mine in the past. Too many noisy power houses and chemical plants without earplugs, loud cars, and loud music. All that is starting to catch up to me.:o

WHAT? ;)

slasky
04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
WHAT? ;)

HE SAID:
TELL ME ABOUT IT! i WISH I'D TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MINE IN THE PAST.

WVRampage
04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
The 3 inch on the rampage with a Glasspack where the cat was and a warlock muffler with the cut out is ok for hiway driving but a bit loud and then theres the Ford with the 3 inch pipe and glass pack that dumps under the bed right behind the passenger door its a bit to loud at times.Although both sound good when reved up and under load,like the ford in 3rd gear low range pulling a 2000 lb log in deep mud.

Tony Hanna
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
WHAT? ;)

HE SAID:

:lol: Sad but true.

contraption22
04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
It is not wire. I am sure it is a high tech government exhaust hanger made by Lockheed Martin.

Hahaha thats great!

turbovanmanČ
04-09-2007, 11:56 PM
HE SAID:

Hahahha, :lol:

Dave
04-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow those guys are fast. My muffler came in today. I wish my camera had batteries that worked so I could take a pic. There's literally nothing inside of it. The only thing on the inside channeling are several land mine looking +'s welded to the wall.

I don't think I've heard of anyone using one of these. I'll be throwing it on tomorrow, I'll post a sound clip of it.

Which reminds me now, does anyone need a 3" Dynomax Ultraflow? ;)

Birddog
04-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Dosen't the mini RoadRunner have a Flowmaster?? Swap the DynoMax for that and sell the FlowMaster!:eyebrows:

johnl
04-12-2007, 01:30 AM

Sheesh, you ain't old.

When they tried to tell you about ear plugs - it was too late - you didn't hear what they were talking about :lol:

How much time you got on loud bikes?:)

Anonymous_User
04-12-2007, 03:22 AM
I don't think I've heard of anyone using one of these. I'll be throwing it on tomorrow, I'll post a sound clip of it.

Please do. I haven't seen one on a TD. Lots of dirt oval racers around here so they are common stuff, but not on the street. I had them on my V8, as mentioned, and they are no different than open headers.