PDA

View Full Version : Problem swapping exhaust

Turbo3Iroc
04-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of swapping a complete 3" exhaust into my current Spirit R/T from a wrecked R/T. I'm not really doing this as an upgrade, though it is but my current exhaust on the car doesn't have a cat and I need to get the car across emissions. It nearly passed with no cat and ~25K on a stock rebuild!

I dropped the rear axle, track bar and the diagonal brace to slide the complete exhaust out and in. The 3" was much more difficult to get lined up but I got everything bolted up except the rear hangar which I have to remove the factory style one for what is already on the 3", no big deal. My problem is, in this state the track bar and the diagonal brace aren't close to lining up. Also the exhaust would be sitting right on the diagonal brace if I was to get it bolted up and it would be pretty rigid at that. It's also right on the gas tank heat shield and the spring. Now this exhaust came from a Spirit and it's going back in a Spirit, the only difference being that the one I am driving now has Eibach drop springs. Anyone ran into this before or have any ideas I could try? This car is my daily driver right now, the truck has been parked as much as possible so I was hoping to get it all done today.

Kelly
Bristol, CT
92 Daytona IROC R/T
91 Spirit R/T
04 Ram Hemi

Turbo3Iroc
04-08-2007, 02:27 AM
So does anyone have atleast a 3" cat back on a Spirit with Eibachs?

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2007, 11:33 PM
It could be that due to be lowered, the axle is moved over with the adjustable bar and thats why its now hitting. What about moving the gas tank over?

Turbo3Iroc
04-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I noticed the track bar was bent already. I tried swapping in a straight one and it was farther out than the bent one. I ended up beating the pipe flat where it was sitting on the diagonal bar and put my jack under the muffler, raising it up to the last hole that would go in on the hangar. I took it around the block and hit a few bumps on purpose and it didn't seem to rattle at all. It now sits right between the spring and the part of the tank that's bent down, I think I referred to it as a heat shield in my first post. So, yeah I'm pretty sure my issues were because it's lowered.

Didn't someone make adjustable track bars or something for our cars? Maybe I'll just cut my non bent one and have it welded back up a bit shorter.

turbovanmanČ
04-09-2007, 02:22 AM
I believe Cindy or Chris sells them. CSRacer used to make them.