PDA

View Full Version : Help! What's wrong with my car?

nmw2006
04-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I bought a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T a few weeks ago.

I just had it in the shop to get some minor stuff done (tune up).

However, as I was driving yesterday, all of a sudden it started smoking out of the exhaust (ie mosquito fogger):(

I know it is oil because the smoke is somewhat blue and it is dumping puddles of oil on the ground (out of the exhaust pipe).

Car still runs (barely) but has no power.

Talked to the mechanic, and he said that the head could have cracked which would be letting oil out through the exhaust.

Could be the turbo? (seals maybe?)

Any help or input would be helpful.

Anyone else ever seen this?:confused:

Thanks

89turbomini
04-07-2007, 04:03 PM
sounds like a turbo seal....Try pulling the inlet pipe to the turbo and see if it spins free and if it wiggles around alot...If you can move it back and forth or side to side then the seal is toast

jre97
04-07-2007, 04:11 PM
sounds like a turbo seal....Try pulling the inlet pipe to the turbo and see if it spins free and if it wiggles around alot...If you can move it back and forth or side to side then the seal is toast

And run a compression test.

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Pull the plugs, if there dry, you have a turbo issue, if there wet, you have a cylinder issue.

nmw2006
04-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Pull the plugs, if there dry, you have a turbo issue, if there wet, you have a cylinder issue.

Okay I'll try that, thanks.:)

Blue Iroc R/T
04-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Check the PCV! They may have moved the lines and it may have came disconnected. If so, it will smoke like a steamer. I had this happen last week on a 8v turbo.

What shop did the work?

Where in Akron are you located? I'm in Barberton, if I can be of any help, PM me for my phone number.

nmw2006
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
pm sent