PDA

View Full Version : TU Brand-X Billett H-Beam Rods = K1, a Carrillo company

Chris W
04-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Among other things, we were waiting on the purchase of K1 Technologies by Carrillo to be completed before we made this announcement.

Read more here: http://www.allbusiness.com/arts-entertainment-recreation/4018926-1.html

We hope this removes ALL doubt that anyone may have had about the quality of the rods we offer under the TU name. We do NOT sell low quality No-Name products at TU. We hope that by TU releasing our manufacturer's name it will re-instill confidence in our customer's future purchases.

We appreciate those of you who stood up for TU's products in the rod bashing threads,

Chris Wright
Turbos Unleashed, Inc.
602-762-6678

Austrian Dodge
04-04-2007, 06:43 PM
:amen: :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-04-2007, 07:01 PM
HA, I knew it was Carrillo, :thumb:

They make sweet rods. Oh well, my next engine I can use those, :eyebrows:

looneytuner
04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
HA, I knew it was Carrillo, :thumb:

They make sweet rods. Oh well, my next engine I can use those, :eyebrows:

OR this one after you break the .......insert your choice....... If the block is still good.:p

turbovanmanČ
04-04-2007, 07:59 PM
OR this one after you break the .......insert your choice....... If the block is still good.:p

:mecry:

Ondonti
04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
They better be.
I dont think there is any other brand out there that you could actually brag about.

2.216VTurbo
04-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I'll be letting you guys know if they can handle 8200 RPMS :eyebrows:

Yes my head will move good air at that speed, please don't start with the 'what's the point' theories:p My horsepower goals are about 100 higher than when I built the motor three years ago, gotta keep up these days:)

Mario
04-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I want to return them now, and a refund. This is horseshit.

:lol:

8valves
04-05-2007, 12:07 AM
This re-instills my previous statements of "When Chris told me who made them I immediately sent the money."

87glhs232
04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Wow, that's a big name to drop! Kudo's Chris! :thumb:

GLHSKEN
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
This needs some clarification. The rods are K-1 technologies. K1 is Owned by Carrillo.

I've copied the press release below

Connecting rod supplier Carrillo Industries Inc. has purchased the assets of KI Technologies, a supplier of connecting rods and crankshafts.

Carrillo, San Clemente, Calif., has been building rods for more than 43 years. It is now a unit of Performance Motorsports, Inc., a group of seven independently managed businesses that are all owned by Dover Corporation. PMI group businesses include Wiseco, JE Pistons, Vertex, ProX and Chambon SA.

KI Technologies President Tom Molnar said Carillo offers K1 a wealth of experience and technical know-how, as well as financial support, direction and synergy.

"It's a unique partnership," Molnar said. "Both companies strive to provide the best internal engine components to the customer and having the support of Carrillo is a tremendous added value for our customers."

"Carrillo has made efforts to offer a rod for every type of application. Folding K1 into the Carrillo family, customers now have choice of a quality rod for every budget," said Jack Sparks, vice president of Carrillo Industries, Inc.

turboking
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
The million dollar question were are these rods made USA or China

tryingbe
04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Why would that matter? 60% of the stuff sold in US is made in China. Everybody wants to buy cheap things and company wants the most profit they can get their hands on. Outsourcing is the only way.

It's the qality control that matters the most now-a-days, not where the product is made.

Directconnection
04-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Mercedes and Ferrari don't contract Hyndai for some of their parts, so I wouldn't expect anything less from Carrillo.

contraption22
04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Mercedes and Ferrari don't contract Hyndai for some of their parts.

Yeah but Chrysler does! lol

turboking
04-05-2007, 08:18 PM
It's the qality control that matters the most now-a-days, not where the product is made.

Youre wrong , China products are made from inferior ingrediants

Clay
04-05-2007, 08:23 PM

If you really want to get into this, we need to start a new thread..... BUT Ill start off here by saying your completely wrong in that statement.

China is pretty much the sole reason steel prices are so high right now (well, they were super high). They are buying all of OUR scrap steel, ie good quality stuff. They are building BRAND NEW steel plants and mills, using top of the line technology that rivals what we have here in the US. Deny it all you want, but just because its made in china, doesnt make it crap, anymore.

Now, back on topic.

GLHSKEN
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
If you really want to get into this, we need to start a new thread..... BUT Ill start off here by saying your completely wrong in that statement.

China is pretty much the sole reason steel prices are so high right now (well, they were super high). They are buying all of OUR scrap steel, ie good quality stuff. They are building BRAND NEW steel plants and mills, using top of the line technology that rivals what we have here in the US. Deny it all you want, but just because its made in china, doesnt make it crap, anymore.

Now, back on topic.

Exactly, They are beating us at our own game. Hence why so much of my 401k in is "overseas" funds. What is really important is the quality controll. Just like in the US it varies. Carrillos' rep is at stake with this. K1 might be a subsiudiary of Carillo, but it is Carrillo's reputation on the line. Let's not put US snobbery into play.

Tryingbe and Clay have it right

Mario
04-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Aren't they made in Michigan? Or is that just where the company is based out of?

Directconnection
04-05-2007, 08:52 PM

That's what I hear. My friend's salvage yard sells the cars like hotcakes now...all going to china. American steel...made from pure ingots...I hope:eyebrows:

Directconnection
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM

Now, back on topic.

I don't want to crap on a specific china made product, but I will say it's the actual quality of machining that is poor. You can have state of the art CNC equipment, but the setup and programming and maintence just as critical. I get chnia import manchinist tools to save the shop some $, but the endmills are crap and the carbides are inferior. I am seeing that 1st hand.

...now, back to quality made rods at hand.

turboking
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Hold on buddy Fuc*ers!!!!!!!!!Get youre heads out of the sand .

We have the perfect product comparison.

Would u want an obx diff or a quiffe diff

cordes
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Hold on buddy Fuc*ers!!!!!!!!!Get youre heads out of the sand .

We have the perfect product comparison.

Would u want an obx diff or a quiffe diff

I really hate the direction that some people are trying to steer this thread in.

This comparison that you have put forth fails to be supported by any logic. Please go away.

turboking
04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
It is what it is. I aint going away , i luv my td to much!!!!!

Frank
04-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Guys, knock it off. Don't speculate and most importantly, be respectful to each other and the vendors. If you have questions, ASK Chris.

Chris W
04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
K1 Technologies President Tom Molnar contacted me this morning in regards to the misinformation that is being posted on both message boards by other vendors. If you would like the "straight" scoop on the acquisition of K1 Technologies by Carrillo or information on the quality of the rods that he makes for us you can reach him at 616-583-9700 or sales@k1technologies.com. He looks forward to clearing up all the false statements that are being made.

Thanks again for everyone's support! :thumb:

Chris-TU

Clay
04-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Chris,

To make this as easy as possible, would it be an option to have Mr. Molnar send you an email or some document with the right information??

That would probalby save him some headache as well! ;)

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
I just called him and we had a nice chat, Tom does all the designing for K1 rods and he designed all the Oliver rods up until 2 years ago when he and a friend started K1, basically the day he started K1, Carrillo has been after him and his company and it took 2 years to work out the details. I think Tom said he even designed rods for Carrillo.
These rods are made offshore but to K1 specs, he said I wish I could see them side by side with Eagle, it would make Eagle rods like like a kid in Kindergarten made them. He and his company will stand by EVERY rod made that Chris sells.

87glhs232
04-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I held them in my hands last night....and oh man, I can tell you the machining and peening is top notch. I'm sure the metallurgical content is controlled to Mr. Molnar's spec's.
Anyhow, I would not hesitate to beat the heck out of them!

Nice product Chris!

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I honestly wish I could afford them, next time, :thumb:

2.216VTurbo
04-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I held them in my hands last night....and oh man, I can tell you the machining and peening is top notch. I'm sure the metallurgical content is controlled to Mr. Molnar's spec's.
Anyhow, I would not hesitate to beat the heck out of them!

Nice product Chris!

Oh yeah, sweet where'd you get a set of those:lol:

Nice to have the some of the San Diego crew out to our humble little TD meeting last night. You get the long distance award for April but the NorCal guys drive down sometimes so they will trump you there:D

Sorry the Masi S car was a bit late, nothing like replacing a cam belt roadside:o Kinda killed the joyride seesion that usually ensues. Hit me up next time for sure...:eyebrows:

Chris W
04-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Nice to have the some of the San Diego crew out to our humble little TD meeting last night. You get the long distance award for April but the NorCal guys drive down sometimes so they will trump you there:D

We just made it back from the CA SDAC meeting a few minutes ago. Hmmm, I thought I usually get the Long Distance award:mecry: :(

In any case, Johnny from PolyBushings.com was nice enough to make it down from his new crib in Coos Bay, Oregon so I think he should get the LD award this month. :p

Nice chatting with you Johnny and Happy Birthday AGAIN :nod:

Chris-TU

bradp
04-07-2007, 10:26 AM
We just made it back from the CA SDAC meeting a few minutes ago. Hmmm, I thought I usually get the Long Distance award:mecry: :(

In any case, Johnny from PolyBushings.com was nice enough to make it down from his new crib in Coos Bay, Oregon so I think he should get the LD award this month. :p

Chris-TU

I hope I get the long distance award when I come out to the meeting the first week of June:D

2.216VTurbo
04-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Chris-TU

I happen to know that you were in town on business, checking with suppliers the USPS, etc:p Johnny was in town to visit his Bro that lives TWO BLOCKS from Applebees so he is out of the running too. Josh and BoostinBuggy came JUST for the meeting:amen:

Although I have to admit it Chris, it is nice to have you out (when you bring parts):lol:

butchsuppe
04-07-2007, 12:54 PM
It,s nice to have Chris regardless why he,s there.

87glhs232
04-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Andy (austriandodge) gets the all time award for that one! It was good seeing everyone again. I was shocked to see Johnny! We'll be up more often.

Butch- I'm putting that radiator bracket on TODAY. I PROMISE! I knew you would give me crap over that! Oh....and the apostrophe key is next to the enter button....quit using the comma!

butchsuppe
04-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey whoever said I was literate Josh.:D

Chris W
04-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I happen to know that you were in town on business, checking with suppliers the USPS, etc:p Johnny was in town to visit his Bro that lives TWO BLOCKS from Applebees so he is out of the running too. Josh and BoostinBuggy came JUST for the meeting:amen:

Although I have to admit it Chris, it is nice to have you out (when you bring parts):lol:

Alan,

Lately, the primary reason why I come out is for the meetings. When necessary I do hit some of our LA vendors while I'm out there. This trip was strictly for the meeting though.:thumb:

Chris-TU

Austrian Dodge
04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I might compete for the long distance award in september :D

GLHNSLHT2
04-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Who's got the LD award for driving their TD to a meeting? And with the least # of tools?? hehe

Chris W
04-08-2007, 01:41 PM
After what happened on Thursday maybe we should have a "Dedicated Enthusiast" award for making it to the meeting even after breaking down.

Kudos to Alan for still making it to the meeting. :thumb:

Chris-TU

2.216VTurbo
04-08-2007, 05:40 PM
After what happened on Thursday maybe we should have a "Dedicated Enthusiast" award for making it to the meeting even after breaking down.

Kudos to Alan for still making it to the meeting. :thumb:

Chris-TU

Gee Chris, thanks loads, now everyone knows that I neglected to fully tighten the cam sproket bolts when I built the GLHS motor and they have been progressively loosening up over the 3K or so miles since it's been running. Thursday night the intake cam bolt walked out far enough for the belt to get thrown off:( Fortunately I was able to coast to the freeway offramp to in front of a GM dealership with plenty of lights. It's nice to have a valve cover that comes off in just two minutes to realign the cams then requires no sealant :thumb: After that, retiming a motor is usually no big deal but with the Masi's intake manifold distributor access is a bust:( so a bit of guesswork was involved as to lining up the intermeadiate shaft. The nice salesmen at GM were good enough to offer me a 'killer deal' on one of their three remaining '06 GTO's seeing as how I 'needed a new car' as they put it:rolleyes: I have a history of undertightening critical fasteners:o Score one for non-interference motors:eyebrows:

8valves
04-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Gee Chris, thanks loads, now everyone knows that I neglected to fully tighten the cam sproket bolts when I built the GLHS motor and they have been progressively loosening up over the 3K or so miles since it's been running. Thursday night the intake cam bolt walked out far enough for the belt to get thrown off:( Fortunately I was able to coast to the freeway offramp to in front of a GM dealership with plenty of lights. It's nice to have a valve cover that comes off in just two minutes to realign the cams then requires no sealant :thumb: After that, retiming a motor is usually no big deal but with the Masi's intake manifold distributor access is a bust:( so a bit of guesswork was involved as to lining up the intermeadiate shaft. The nice salesmen at GM were good enough to offer me a 'killer deal' on one of their three remaining '06 GTO's seeing as how I 'needed a new car' as they put it:rolleyes: I have a history of undertightening critical fasteners:o Score one for non-interference motors:eyebrows:

I didn't know Masi motors were non-interference... very cool!

You should've replied to the salesman with a "the day I find a GTO to walk on this car I'll buy one!"

GLHNSLHT2
04-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Aaron, in your sig, didn't know that FWD cars had drivelines :)

Frank
04-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Further discussion about rods is general... aka not specific to this Vendor's offerings, should be posted here. I have moved some posts there already.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13500

87glhs232
04-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Who's got the LD award for driving their TD to a meeting? And with the least # of tools?? hehe

Drove my 'S from San Diego without so much as a screwdriver. :thumb:

TurboJerry
04-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I drive to and from San Diego once a month with no tools in the R/T. People say I'm crazy, but I like to think that the cars are actually reliable. I torque the cam sprocket bolts to 65 ftlbs. That way I know I did it because of bringing out the torque wrench every time. Kinda like main, rod, and head bolts. Very few rods are made in the US any more. I can only think of Manley, Oliver, and Crower. (besides Carrillo)

GLHNSLHT2
04-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Pretty good, might have ya beat though. Drove from Spokane Wa 1300+ miles with no tools other than my swiss army knife :) I did have family matters to attend down there but I kinda scheduled them so I could make the meeting as it was definately a top priority in the trip :) I did bring a spare tire of course but around town it's never in.

2.216VTurbo
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Pretty good, might have ya beat though. Drove from Spokane Wa 1300+ miles with no tools other than my swiss army knife :) I did have family matters to attend down there but I kinda scheduled them so I could make the meeting as it was definately a top priority in the trip :) I did bring a spare tire of course but around town it's never in.

Call me a pessimist/realist then, I drag around the full boneyard bag EVERY time I'm driving one of the cars. Actually, it lives in the DD too, never know when my schedule takes me right past a boneyard:eyebrows: That numbered Shelby/16V Lotus car/16V TC is not going to just wait for me to go home and get tools... Missed a two piece manifold once by less than ten minutes cause I 'had to run home' for tools.

People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. :amen:

87glhs232
04-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Pessimist

I also drive it to Phoenix and Tucson from San Diego with no tools. Maybe I'm a better mechanic? My cam sprocket bolt doesn't back out! :evil: :p J/K

GLHNSLHT2
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Hahahahhahaha :lol: +1, we're just better Mechanics than you Alan :)

2.216VTurbo
04-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Hahahahhahaha :lol: +1, we're just better Mechanics than you Alan :)

No debate from me, one time, I carefully assembled the head on my Shelby Lancer, everything so clean/degreased/painted the kind of job that makes you feel good about it. For the last hour or so, neighbor was over and we tipped a couple back. It started first try and I gently drove it around the block. By the time I got home, steam was puking everywhere.:( I did everything just right, except I forgot to torque the head down.:o

johnl
04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
That's OK Alan, we all done that.

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2007, 10:52 PM
That's OK Alan, we all done that.

Not me, :lol:

tryingbe
04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Not me either. But I forgot to put the ball joint bolt in once... It lasted to the first stop sign before the ball joint and knuckle came apart. :*(