PDA

View Full Version : Welding the TIII head

2.216VTurbo
04-04-2007, 02:02 AM
So I am droping the head off at the shop for a fresh valve job, seals, surface, install of the Ti retainers etc. A TIII guy in the know told me to have the little oil plug in the head welded up to keep the head gasket from getting weak in that spot, thing is, there are two of those little plugs. Which gets welded, little one, big one, both? Also, when the casting plugs are welded, are they capped with Aluminum plugs first then those are welded, or are they just filled in completely with weld?

By the way, the HG had less than 15 K on it and one of the fire rings was blown into the cylinder about a mm or so, not sure how the coolant was getting into #1 and #2 cyls, gasket looked pretty intact there:confused:

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2007, 03:00 AM
I don't have pics but one of my heads was cracked at the valve seat causing coolant to enter that way.

I guess it depends on the head or how bad it is, you shouldn't really have to weld the top plugs in but some have.

I think Cliff Ramsdells site has the pics you need regarding the oil plug to weldup or thread a plug into it.