PDA

View Full Version : I am so stumped by my eprom burner.

Whorse
04-04-2007, 12:54 AM
I have a Standard Willem, or so my software tells me. I can't find the jumpers it has listed, it has two different listings for the chip (27SF512), and I can't figure out how to erase it. I've read the online manual at mcallum.com a couple of times, and read cordes' how to a couple of times, and I'm still stuck at trying to erase this chip. Does anyone have any further support documentation on these things I can read to know what I'm doing? There seems to be plenty of info on making cals and modifying them, and a bit on the settings for burning them, but I can't find anything on the basic how to get started part that I'm stuck at.

Murphy
04-04-2007, 01:04 AM
can you link us to which burner you got at like mcumall.com or something? if we know what model it is we should be able to tell you

cordes
04-04-2007, 01:07 AM
if you follow the erase procedure as outlined in my LM cal how to it will work. However it is not the most intuitive way for it to be done, and does not really give a good signal that the chip has been properly erased. once you adjust the settings back to normal and not on W27C, you can do a blank test and that will tell you if the erase has worked.

Once you do that, you can then write the chip by loading your bin and simply click the program button. That should do it.

Are you making sure that you have the chip oriented in the right direction when you put it in the burner?

cordes
04-04-2007, 01:08 AM
can you link us to which burner you got at like mcumall.com or something? if we know what model it is we should be able to tell you

IIRC he is using the willem enhanced model.

Whorse
04-04-2007, 01:38 AM
See that is what I don't get. W27C means nothing to me. Not sure how that compares to the 27SF512. I can't figure out which settings I am adjusting. I will look at it again tomorrow, and hopefully once I figure it out I can write something up for anyone else intersted in learning as well.

cordes
04-04-2007, 01:48 AM
See that is what I don't get. W27C means nothing to me. Not sure how that compares to the 27SF512. I can't figure out which settings I am adjusting. I will look at it again tomorrow, and hopefully once I figure it out I can write something up for anyone else intersted in learning as well.

OK, I think I know what you are doing wrong. There is a little piece that you can pull off of the board inbetween the first and second buttons above the ZIF socket. Pull it off to expose the two pins. Then press the 3rd button(I believe) to get the green LED on the right side of the board over to the W27C position which is the LED all the way to the right. Follow the procedure on my website for the erase. once you erase the chip, reinstall the jumper on the two pins between the buttons, and that should reset the setting of the LED on the right to the normal position. now that you have done that, you can blank test the chip, and then burn it as outlined in my how to.

That should be all there is to it. Don't forget to adjust the offset before you burn the chip, otherwise it won't work when you put it in the car.

Whorse
04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
See I don't think I have the enhanced. I can't see those board references you are pointing to and I only have 3 LEDs.

cordes
04-05-2007, 11:01 AM
See I don't think I have the enhanced. I can't see those board references you are pointing to and I only have 3 LEDs.

i see. If you got your burner from MCU mall or where ever, let us know which one it is, and someone might know off hand. Other than that it might come down to doing a search of the internet. That is actually how I figured out how to burn that chip on my burner. The directions on my site with bad english are actually taken right from that site.

Whorse
04-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Well it's a Willem for sure. My CD says Willem Standard as the name, and links me to the MCUMall Site.

Whorse
04-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Ok first question I couldn't find on their site:

What is the PCB3B setting, and how do I set mine up for that?

Here is a picture of my burner.

cordes
04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok first question I couldn't find on their site:

What is the PCB3B setting, and how do I set mine up for that?

Here is a picture of my burner.

In the software there is a button you can click that will say either PCB3 or willem. I was told that the willem one is for the dual power programmer and that the PCB3 is for the enhanced. This is for the 97.ja software, and perhaps other versions.

Whorse
04-06-2007, 12:48 PM
There is a little piece that you can pull off of the board inbetween the first and second buttons above the ZIF socket. Pull it off to expose the two pins. Then press the 3rd button(I believe) to get the green LED on the right side of the board over to the W27C position which is the LED all the way to the right.

I have no idea what this is on my board. I'm familiar with jumpers and having to set them, as well as making sure the dip switches are set right, but nowhere do I see any buttons or additional jumpers above the ZIF socket, and I'm not sure about these LEDs moving to the right.

cordes
04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I circled a couple of jumpers that I could see in your pic. However since you have a different burner, I really don't know what to tell you at this point.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/burner.JPG

Whorse
04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
I realized that when I checked the link on your site with the manual. I will have to read through mine further. Those jumpers are set how it shows the W27C setting should be, but still says change the jumper to erase, and something about 12.75V setting.

cordes
04-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I realized that when I checked the link on your site with the manual. I will have to read through mine further. Those jumpers are set how it shows the W27C setting should be, but still says change the jumper to erase, and something about 12.75V setting.

You are checking the chip for being blank after you try and erase it correct? I seem to remember a message which made me think that an error had occurred, but it is just how the software works I guess.

Whorse
04-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I think I just got one to work! I had my eprom in the wrong spot. Put pin 1 by pin one and forgot you need pin one facing the right way but the back of the eprom goes into the back of the ZIFS always.

I had the right setting for erasing, but I had to select Erase Eprom and it had the SST 512 chip I have. That enabled the erase option, which I couldn't find before. Blank checked after.

Then, I selected the 27512 option under Eprom --> 27Cxxx. Loaded the 89 2.5 MP cal I downloaded, and programmed and verified it. Seemed successful.

Question. I used the 8000 offset, and the 32 bit CRC. Is that correct for this chip and program?

cordes
04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
When I used my burner to burn a chip for my shadow which is also a 32K cal, I used the 16 bit add rather than the 32 and it worked fine for me. Although I was using an M87C257, so that might have made a difference. I would imagine if it is not right the car won't start. If that is the case I would try to burn it with the 16 bit setting and then give that a go. It should go pretty quickly now that you have figured it out. Nice work.