PDA

View Full Version : can u pass emission with 3"

TurboII
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM
i have a 3" exhaust with a high flow cat. My question can i pass emission in ct even tho the exhaust comes out the side.

BadAssPerformance
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
To answer your subject question, yes you can pass with 3"

To answer your other question, not sufe about CT rules as far as safety, it would be ok in IL if it passed the smog... but then again '95 and older vehicles are now exepmt here! :D

mcsvt
04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I've smoged with a full 3", swingvalve, cat, glasspack and all. No issue at all. And as JT said, check with CT about side exit and location.

turbovanmanČ
04-03-2007, 10:52 PM
If the engine is running correctly, you could pass with a 4 inch system. Size doesn't matter in this case. :eyebrows:

Ondonti
04-04-2007, 04:01 AM
sniffer test, yes.

I would say as long as a healthy motor is running decent a/f at the tested rpms then your exhaust size wont really matter.

Marcus86GLHS
04-04-2007, 05:27 AM
TURBOII likes other say the quick answer is yes. There's way to many variable to discuss but if you have a good tune and are not running too rich you should squeak by. I passed by a c-hair (carbon monoxide was at 90% of max allowed, that was a close call). I have a custom TU calibration that was way rich at low speeds/part throttle and of course a 3" exhaust and Magnaflow cat. The EGR system was removed from the car but they did not notice because its a glhs and they were looking under "omni".

For those outside of CT, we have some of the toughest smog limits in the country, and all cars between 5 and 25 years old must be tested every other year. The test involves a visual inspection and a sniff test on the rollers at about 30 mph on the speedometer. OBDII cars are just plug-n-play for codes but that is not our community.

There's a provision in the law that says "collector or antique cars are exempt", but they ONLY consider a car a collector/antique car if it is 25+ years old, so this provision is sorta a stupid teaser since there's already a cutoff at 25 years for all vehicles.

dont show up for testing? the registration is revoked and the car is subject to confiscation.

TurboII
04-04-2007, 11:17 AM
well when i went to the inspection place for my windows they just told me to fix the side two lil windows (88 lebaron coupe) and come back i didnt get no papers know nothing and know 30 day notice.

Turbodave
04-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Why would the emmisions place care about your windows?

Marcus, we had pretty much the same deal here for a long time, anything over 4 years old and newer than 1968 had to be tested on the dyno except for OBDII cars which just got the plug in test. They determined that they were spending too much money on testing the older vehicles so they are phasing out testing on pre OBDII cars here in IL. Unfortunately my 90 minivan is still on their list and currently sits in the garage with suspended plates until I get it back together and test it (passed fine 2 yrs ago). Of course I can't drive it there with suspended plates so I have to apply for a goofy permit to get it to the test station, but since I've got a truck and trailer I'll just tow it there instead. The emissions testing around here has been a real pain in the rear for a car collector like myself.

TurboII
04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Why would the emmisions place care about your windows?

Marcus, we had pretty much the same deal here for a long time, anything over 4 years old and newer than 1968 had to be tested on the dyno except for OBDII cars which just got the plug in test. They determined that they were spending too much money on testing the older vehicles so they are phasing out testing on pre OBDII cars here in IL. Unfortunately my 90 minivan is still on their list and currently sits in the garage with suspended plates until I get it back together and test it (passed fine 2 yrs ago). Of course I can't drive it there with suspended plates so I have to apply for a goofy permit to get it to the test station, but since I've got a truck and trailer I'll just tow it there instead. The emissions testing around here has been a real pain in the rear for a car collector like myself.

What happen after they failed u did you get a notice or anything like that stating u have 30 days to come back or get a suspended plate.

Turbodave
04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
What happen after they failed u did you get a notice or anything like that stating u have 30 days to come back or get a suspended plate.

My van never failed the test, It hasn't been registered, insured or driven for over a year now since I've been slowly working on it. I had it apart and could not get it in to be tested when it was due in Dec. I requested an extension until April, but rather than grant that they sent me a letter noting that my plates would be susended at the end of the month. For the IL emissions Nazi's that's pretty good, because usually they try to suspend your license. I have a number of friends that have been arrested for having a vehicle (usually one they don't drive regularly) that didn't pass testing.

Skibbe
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
it would be ok in IL if it passed the smog... but then again '95 and older vehicles are now exepmt here! :D

I just love everytime I get to read that. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm going to frame my exemption letter and hang it in the garage. :thumb:

TurboII
04-04-2007, 03:24 PM
so they did send u a leter stating something cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that.

Turbodave
04-04-2007, 04:02 PM
so they did send u a leter stating something cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that.

In IL they do send out letters notifying you if your plates are suspended, but you live in CT, and the rules are different state to state. In IL they don't test windows for emmisions so I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for that (maybe there is a greenhouse glass problem in CT?:lol: ):D .

Marcus86GLHS
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
"....cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that........"

TURBOII i am at a loss to understand what the heck you are now writing about, i thought you were asking about emissions testing and 3" exhaust................windows???? anyways hope you get whatever your problem is fixed.

TurboII
04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
"....cause when i was pulled over they told me it was for my back window only and i passed with flying colors on that........"

TURBOII i am at a loss to understand what the heck you are now writing about, i thought you were asking about emissions testing and 3" exhaust................windows???? anyways hope you get whatever your problem is fixed.

When turboDave talked about suspended plates I thought about when I went to the inspection and failed for my windows and was noted on the exhaust and I asked TurboDave what happened to him and he answered my question. That's why i was talking about my windows cause it rolls into one subject inspection and emission It got a little cared away THATS ALL!!.....okay does that answer what the heck IM talking about

Back to topic

rbryant
04-05-2007, 03:40 AM
I recently passed the Arizona roller sniffer test with 3" swingvalve, downpipe, highflow cat, dynomax straight through muffler, full fuel pressure, etc

I did have the wastegate tied directly to the manifold so max boost was somewhere around 10psi.

I was about 1/3 the limit or so on a couple of catagories. I posted the results somewhere but it might have been on the other board.

-Rich

BadAssPerformance
04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
I just love everytime I get to read that. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm going to frame my exemption letter and hang it in the garage. :thumb:

LOL, I was going to do the same thing with mine! :thumb:

TurboII
04-06-2007, 12:24 AM
LOL, I was going to do the same thing with mine! :thumb:

Lamo......I wish i could hang mine :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

BadAssPerformance
04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
start a petition! :thumb:

Mario
04-06-2007, 12:46 AM
You Chicago boys think you have it made, here, as long as there's a license plate on it, and some headlights and brake lights, you're good to go.

BadAssPerformance
04-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Shiiiiit, now that the emissions law changed, we're good to go here too! :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Just took my test. Car is an 87 ShelbyZ with a 2.5 (2.2 have a stricter test??) Ported exhaust manny, S60 turbo with ported 2.5" Turbonetics SV, true 3" downpipe to a straight pipe side exit exhaust, +40 injectors and a 3 bar map running a custom cal with Dcal on a SMEC. I had the 2 step rev limiter set for 2000rpms so they wouldn't over rev it trying to get it started on the rollers. Anyway:

Cruise Limit for HC(PPM) 150, Actual 119. Idle Limit 220, Actual 92!!!!
Cruise Limit for CO(%) 1, Actual .89 Idle Limit 1.2, Acutal .3!!!!!

That's all we have to pass on I'm not sure what CO is. Is that Carbon Monoxide? We have CO+CO2 as well, what's that? and then we have O2. Isn't that just straight Oxygen?

I'm happy as a clam about it though. It passed better on this setup than it ever has on a 2 bar setup. But I've never used a cat. 1 year was just by the skin of my teeth on CO, The limit was 1.2 and I passed at 1.2 :)

Not sure what max boost setting has to do with anything. They never came close to hitting the boost in my car. Although the dumb --- tech was resting his foot on the clutch in 3rd gear. Funny as ---- to see the look on his face when the 2 step engaged :) I just told him "GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH!!!" A$$ wipes.

Turbodave
04-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Just took my test. Car is an 87 ShelbyZ with a 2.5 (2.2 have a stricter test??) Ported exhaust manny, S60 turbo with ported 2.5" Turbonetics SV, true 3" downpipe to a straight pipe side exit exhaust, +40 injectors and a 3 bar map running a custom cal with Dcal on a SMEC. I had the 2 step rev limiter set for 2000rpms so they wouldn't over rev it trying to get it started on the rollers. Anyway:

Cruise Limit for HC(PPM) 150, Actual 119. Idle Limit 220, Actual 92!!!!
Cruise Limit for CO(%) 1, Actual .89 Idle Limit 1.2, Acutal .3!!!!!

That's all we have to pass on I'm not sure what CO is. Is that Carbon Monoxide? We have CO+CO2 as well, what's that? and then we have O2. Isn't that just straight Oxygen?

I'm happy as a clam about it though. It passed better on this setup than it ever has on a 2 bar setup. But I've never used a cat. 1 year was just by the skin of my teeth on CO, The limit was 1.2 and I passed at 1.2 :)

Not sure what max boost setting has to do with anything. They never came close to hitting the boost in my car. Although the dumb --- tech was resting his foot on the clutch in 3rd gear. Funny as ---- to see the look on his face when the 2 step engaged :) I just told him "GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH!!!" A$$ wipes.

The techs here are morons, I brought my GLHS in and the guy tried to start out in 3rd gear, bogged it and then floored it until the boost was cranking. It failed that test. I brought it in a week later and it passed with flying colors, the only change was putting a regular GLH shift knob on it so the idiot could figure out where 1st is.

Birddog
04-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I wish I had video of the final E-test on my Chevelle! I had to go one last time to fail before the AV plate exemption kicked in.. I got to watch a group of severely overweight, undereducated, automotive ignoramus argue over who got to climb through the maze of chrome moly steel behind that five foot long door only to drop down into a cold, hard injection molded chunk of plastic called a "racing seat"...
PRICELESS!
Funny thing was I expected these neanderthals to go through the whole test on the rollers... All they did was get up to midrange on it(35mph was around 3000rpm), shut er down and failed her...

What were we talking about again???

OH! Yeah!

Did you have a problem in CT because of loud exhaust and window tint or actual emissions overage??
Size and location of exhaust pipe is not really regulated (as others said check first!) as long as it is routed away from the passenger compartment. Noise and actual emissions output are the major factors..

WickedShelby88
04-11-2007, 10:03 AM
When I lived in Indiana they didn't have any safetly inspection or emissions testing of any kind, however if you had lights that weren't working you would get pulled over in a heartbeat so you'd better hoped you had insurance and good plates when that happens. Thats pretty harsh what you were talking about Dave. So if you don't get your vehicle tested even though it just sits in even your garage you can have your license suspended. Thats almost like communism or police state type acts. Oops did I say that. Is there any way around that if you have multiple vehicles besides doing a registration in your mothers name or something short of moving out of the area?

TurboII
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I wish I had video of the final E-test on my Chevelle! I had to go one last time to fail before the AV plate exemption kicked in.. I got to watch a group of severely overweight, undereducated, automotive ignoramus argue over who got to climb through the maze of chrome moly steel behind that five foot long door only to drop down into a cold, hard injection molded chunk of plastic called a "racing seat"...
PRICELESS!
Funny thing was I expected these neanderthals to go through the whole test on the rollers... All they did was get up to midrange on it(35mph was around 3000rpm), shut er down and failed her...

What were we talking about again???

OH! Yeah!

Did you have a problem in CT because of loud exhaust and window tint or actual emissions overage??
Size and location of exhaust pipe is not really regulated (as others said check first!) as long as it is routed away from the passenger compartment. Noise and actual emissions output are the major factors..

My story kinda rolls into one cause next year from now im going to have to go to emission And lasts year from now i got pulled over on the Pike in CT stupid cop gave me a ticket cause to dark of a back window and when i went to inpection they questioned me about my exhaust so it rolled into one.