PDA

View Full Version : 88 shelby z vs 06 cobalt ss

4cfed
04-03-2007, 02:05 AM
My buddy got rid of his cobalt today so we finally did arace..

his car .. stock ss
mine g vavle @13 psi and 2.5 exhaust

we line out at aspot i have been racing at for years with a marked off 1/4 mile

we launch side by side and i spun bad only launched at 2500-3k and still just melted the new front tires ..featherd out of it afew times and still couldnt hook... hit second spun a lil featherd and grabbed!!!

I look in my side mirror and i see the cobalt behind me ( god i love it wehn i look in the side mirror and i can see the hole front of there car hehehe)

i grab 3rd and he is still behind me wooohoooo!!!!!

im competely freakin out thinkin he is just gonna scream past me now.... i hit 4th and he is stil behind me!!! we let off at the marked spot and i had 2-3 cars on him....

he was cool about it though cuz he loved turbo dodges to (he had aclean clean clean 87? lebaron k car sittin on eibocks pumpers a413 with a rmvb ,blow threw but anyways....

so he wants to do a roll so i figure ok fine.. i figued he would womp me on a roll... We start on 3 beeps on a 20- mph roll... he beeps and were off... i snap a lead on him right off the bat!! he was prob about 3 feet behind me and he stayed there untell 85-90 mph and he slowly slowly slowly creept past me..

all in all iwas very happy with how mycar did... i just wish i could get acorrect answer to what they run stock.. herd and seen everything from 14.4 -15.2

Mario
04-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Nice, work on that launch for a car with more guts that lines up next to you. Last night for my Shelby last year on Woodward, right when I'm about to head home I see a couple guys in a Cobalt SS eyeing my car...being a bit ----y. We go from a roll once, twice, and he had enough after that. Next light we hit he gave me a thumbs up and a "that's bad ---."

4cfed
04-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah .. this is the only td i have ever had aproblem launching.. im gonna be making adual stage and try to get it ialed so ican still launch it hard but hook

boosted
04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I work at a GM dealer in Canada and have seen many a Cobalt SS. They do come in 2 versions here..one supercharged and the other with a higher output N/A motor. I've had the privaledge(not) to roadtest a few and in all I'm not impressed.They claimed 14.2@104 area in magazines but the best I saw at the track was 15.1@90something. One customer had us install a stage 2 kit? underdrive pulley, injectors and cal. Apparently it was decent but I'm sure my Omni GLHT II would still kill it..They do have a slight advantage...LSD..which I don't have.

Chris

1qk4dr
04-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I work at a GM dealer in Canada and have seen many a Cobalt SS. They do come in 2 versions here..one supercharged and the other with a higher output N/A motor. I've had the privaledge(not) to roadtest a few and in all I'm not impressed.They claimed 14.2@104 area in magazines but the best I saw at the track was 15.1@90something. One customer had us install a stage 2 kit? underdrive pulley, injectors and cal. Apparently it was decent but I'm sure my Omni GLHT II would still kill it..They do have a slight advantage...LSD..which I don't have.

Chris

Which magazine quoted 104mph traps:confused: ????

ShelbyZD
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
The one that had a car that was slightly tweaked with race fuel and slicks. ;)

Mario
04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
The 06' C & D tested went 14.4 @ 100 while their 07' tested 14.6 @ 99

1qk4dr
04-03-2007, 09:43 PM

That's what I typically have seen in the magazines. I drove one and I thought it was a nice Daily Driver.

4cfed
04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
like i said iv herd mixed numbers.... ether way i beat one so im happy lol

Ondonti
04-04-2007, 03:52 AM
I really doubt all these numbers...and there is NO way that car could to 104mph traps stock.

With how much GM seemed to have bribed the car magazines with their ss vs SRT-4 comparisons..........I dont know why anyone cars about the magazine numbers for the cobalt ss.

Tony Hanna
04-04-2007, 05:20 AM
I test drove an SS/SC awhile back, and was less than impressed with the power. It didn't feel like it pulled much if any harder than the Sundance non intercooled @ 12 psi. Aside from that, I really liked the car and will probably pick one up used for a driver when they're old enough for the prices to be reasonable.

boosted
04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I think it may have been C&D, but I could be wrong..It kinda caught me off guard when I saw the #'s between the CobaltSS and the SRT4. I thought it would compare to the Omni but when I test drove it..it didn't sem to pull near as hard...I do run 18 psi at times so maybe its better than I,m not giving it credit for. The CobaltSS is ok in many ways, but to put it up against a TD..well...I think I'm bias..TD's rock..Old tech against new tech is always
nice to see..especially when the old tech runs faster.

Chris

shelby zed
04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
i cant wait to have a go with my buddies, he thinks its the fastest car ever because he beat a sunfire with it....

boosted
04-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Which magazine quoted 104mph traps:confused: ????

I was thinking 100 when I wrote 104. I was running the 14.2 at 104. I can't but think B.S. sometimes when reading 1/4 mile and mph in mags.:o

Chris

check this link http://vtd.caranddriver.com/cobalt/chevrolet-cobalt/

Vigo
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
nice kill. i havent ridden in or driven an ss, but theres no argument that they've got nothing on a good old srt-4 in a straight line. too bad, i always look forward to drag-out kicking, screaming, bloody showdowns when i get my new-car mags. when the ss came out the hoopla only lasted until the first run in with a stock srt-4, what a letdown.

but still a good kill for a 2 decade old 8-valver hehehe. :)

4cfed
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
THANKS!!.... i love this car even thought she pisses me off sometimes but its ok

TurboII
04-06-2007, 12:48 AM
THANKS!!.... i love this car even thought she pisses me off sometimes but its ok

:lol: that is so true my car piss's me off all the time but once she is running and i get on that throttle boy i forget easy.

4cfed
04-06-2007, 12:50 AM
yup.... i changed my exhaust today.. well ditched the rear section and ran it out the side.. aparently the car liked that cuz now it just spins threw first.. take off normal and mass it and buh bye tires!!

Ondonti
04-07-2007, 01:32 AM
nice kill. i havent ridden in or driven an ss, but theres no argument that they've got nothing on a good old srt-4 in a straight line. too bad, i always look forward to drag-out kicking, screaming, bloody showdowns when i get my new-car mags. when the ss came out the hoopla only lasted until the first run in with a stock srt-4, what a letdown.

but still a good kill for a 2 decade old 8-valver hehehe. :) Hey, a little GM bribe sure made the magazine race almost seem close. Too bad in real life they are almost a second apart, not .2 sec