PDA

View Full Version : Any 87 GLHS's Come with Older TC3 Front End?????

DC Turismo
04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Another weird thing about the car my buddy parted was that it had a TC3 style front end/fascia on it. The car was VERY low miles at the time it was deemed undriveable due to frame damage, but as far as we know this was the original front fascia that came on the car. Could this have slipped through the cracks and actually been produced in this fashion?? :confused: :confused:

It looks real odd seeing the GLHS decal on this style of nose, I'll say that much! HAHA

Mario
04-02-2007, 11:08 PM
No.

The lower portion of the bumper may have simply been removed or it was replaced and decals were later added.

DC Turismo
04-03-2007, 12:15 AM
The part I am inquiring about is the upper portion of the front fascia, where on the newer Shelby Chargers its sloped and flat (the Chrysler star is attached here). On this GLHS though, it had the TC3 style front fascia on it (six total oval shaped air holes to make up the 'grille'), with the lower front airdam and extensions attached. Factory GLHS decal was still intact, no signs of repainting.

Murphy
04-03-2007, 09:46 AM
are you able to get any pics of it?

rare_ram
04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Like Mario said, NO. The last of that nose cone was 83, so they could not have slipped through the cracks.

DC Turismo
04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Here we go with the pics:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01437.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01461.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01465.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01463.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01460.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01462.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01435.JPG

Look at the paint on the driver's side fender. Seeing the one layer, I feel, shows that the front of the car was never repainted. At 13,000 miles I do not feel that the car was ever wrecked previously especially since nothing else in the engine bay was modified with different parts?

Barry is to let me know what number GLHS this car was, but it's just weird for me to see the TC3 style front end, in black and with the GLHS decals on it. I do not see any evidence of the front nose being repainted (that's why I took a pic. of the rear of the front end, also note the chips in the paint on the nose do not show any other color underneath), and to my knowledge TC3's never came in black? I do feel that this may have come from the factory like this.

Regardless, at least this can generate a good discussion!
Thoughts?

sdac guy
04-08-2007, 06:59 PM
There were NOT any 87 GLHS Chargers to come with a TC3 nose cone, period. Didn't happen. Remember, the 87 GLHS started out as an all black Shelby Charger (minus decals), which were made at Belvidere assembly plant. The cars were shipped to Whittier where the Shelby decals were applied. Shelby Automobiles did not remove or replace the front nose cone as part of the process.

Barry

spoolinhard
04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
what ended up happening to the car?
-Kaleb

85shelbycharger
04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
what ended up happening to the car?
-Kaleb

As of yesterday it's still sitting on that trailer as you see it in the photos. It'll be there for a while.

DC Turismo
04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Barry just informed me that it was number 832 and was shipped to Crestwood Dodge in Garden City Michigan on 12/16/86.

ShelbyMotorsports
04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Billy

As already mentioned that front end was not in production at the time the S cars were built.

Also in one of the pictures the facia looks to have yellow paint underneath the black paint. Look at the pic showing the GLHS sticker.

Have you run a CarFax report? Not all accidents show up on a CarFax but it is a start. Also the CarFax can help determine the mileage as that car looks too beat for just 13k miles. 113k miles I could believe.

Steve

Skibbe
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Billy

Also in one of the pictures the facia looks to have yellow paint underneath the black paint. Look at the pic showing the GLHS sticker.

Steve

All fascia's are yellow underneath... that's the color of the plastic they're made of.

I do agree that no GLHS came from the factory like this. Just wanted to keep the record strait on the yellow.

BadAssPerformance
04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Ouch! Car number?

uwilluz
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Ouch! Car number?

Barry just informed me that it was number 832 and was shipped to Crestwood Dodge in Garden City Michigan on 12/16/86.

;) .....

BadAssPerformance
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Doh! I musta missed that :o

85shelbycharger
04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Have you run a CarFax report? Not all accidents show up on a CarFax but it is a start. Also the CarFax can help determine the mileage as that car looks too beat for just 13k miles. 113k miles I could believe.

Steve

Steve, the car has sat since 1989 and that's why it looks like it does. By the looks of the seats, seatbelts, and the fact that besides the wrecked front end, there is absolutely no rust anywhere (very rare for a PA car). We'll have to run the carfax to know for certain, but I do believe that there were only 13k miles on it.

ShelbyMotorsports
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
All fascia's are yellow underneath... that's the color of the plastic they're made of.

I do agree that no GLHS came from the factory like this. Just wanted to keep the record strait on the yellow.

Not the yellow/orange color I'm talking about.

Look at the pic below.

Notice the bright yellow paint were the black paint has chipped off?

DC Turismo
04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Not the yellow/orange color I'm talking about.

Look at the pic below.

Notice the bright yellow paint were the black paint has chipped off?

That's mold from the tree it was sitting under! :lol: Other than that, the nose is flat gray underneath just like the nose would've come brand new.

Tony Hanna
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
So, what are the plans for it? Hard to tell for sure from the pics, but it looks saveable.

Anonymous_User
04-09-2007, 09:24 PM
it looks like its bent up pretty good. Look at the bend in the hood. Sure it could be fixed, but you're looking at replacing everthing in front of the firewall - IF nothing behind that is bent!

Get your welder warmed up. It'd be a big job.

Tony Hanna
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
it looks like its bent up pretty good. Look at the bend in the hood. Sure it could be fixed, but you're looking at replacing everthing in front of the firewall - IF nothing behind that is bent!

Get your welder warmed up. It'd be a big job.

That's about what I was thinking. Take everything from the firewall forward off of a donor car. Sounds to me like it would make for a fun little project.:thumb:

ShelbyMotorsports
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
That's mold from the tree it was sitting under! :lol: Other than that, the nose is flat gray underneath just like the nose would've come brand new.

You pull that thing out of a swamp? ;)

Ok time to dig deeper.

Can you post a close up pic of the Momo knob. If the car has only 13k miles the Momo logo should still be nice and crisp.

Does the hood, radiator support and drivers door have the Shelby decals? You know the emission decal, the vac decal and the modified by decal.

Have you matched the engine & trans vin #'s to the cars vin #?

Lets start with these.

DC Turismo
04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
This isn't my car, it's a buddy of mine's.

All Shelby decals are present on the car, rad. support, inside doors, under hood, etc.

It didn't come out of a swamp but it was under a pine tree its whole life lol!

The radiator support is pushed back far enough that the fan for the radiator barely squeezed out (WITHOUT the tstat housing bolted onto the head even!)
Therefore, it's nearly impossible to get up in to the engine bay from underneath the car at this time. He is ultimately going to part it out but just wanted me to forward some of his questions on here for him to find out what number it was for sure.

I'll take a look at the shift knob next time I see him. It isn't crisp for it was exposed to sunlight and weather for nearly 16 years, but the seats, seatbelts, rear carpet (front carpet on driver's side had some water accumulate on it), door panels, and plastic trim are all in fantastic shape!

TurboTurismo
04-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I took my 4 headlight to 2 on the "MO" check it out.... I guess its got nothing to do with this post tho

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434

Robb

daytonajesse
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Looks like someone took the front facia off of a rampage and put it on the glhs. probably because they were fixing up a rampage and it is a common swap. (To put the glhs front end on the rampage that is)

SwiftTech
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
maybe the original owner liked the look of the TC3 front end better, and bought one new from the dealer back in the 80's, and painted it up and put the sticker on it. or they thought it might help the cooling on the car, more grill area.