PDA

View Full Version : Some 87 GLHS Speedometers DID Come with 135 Overlay!

DC Turismo
04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Saw it with my own eyes finally. A buddy of mine is currently scrapping one and has had it for quite some time, yet never noticed that the gauge cluster was the yellow 135 MPH overlay all of this time! :lol: The car was #7xx but just wanted to share that with everyone. I always thought it was myth, but the car had been wrecked in 89 and had sat since. It's definitely legit!

I would like to know how many exactly came with those speedos though!

Mario
04-02-2007, 11:15 PM
The overlays weren't available 89' and earlier?

Clay
04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Kinda like the first few 87 GLHS came with the 86 GLHS windshield decal. Left over parts from the Omnis used on the chargers.

My first charger GLHS had the omni windshield decal....... my second charger GLHS had the longer decal.

DC Turismo
04-03-2007, 12:13 AM
The yellow (135 mph overlays) came factory in the 86 GLHS.

The white (125 mph overlays) came factory in the 87 GLHS.

Some 87 GLHS's, however, were equipped with leftover yellow 135 mph overlays from the previous year. This had been rumored for some time, which I never thought held any truth. But I definitely saw this 87 GLHS came equipped and remained stock with this 135 mph overlay during its entire life, it was never swapped in.

I didn't know the windshield decals differed Clay?

Marcus86GLHS
04-03-2007, 05:16 AM
a few leftover '86 speedo overlays on the '87's i have heard/seen of before, but hadnt heard of the windshield decals from 86 making it onto the 87's.

question for the experts: did any of the 87 GLHS cars get Centurion I's from Whittier?

moparman76_69
04-03-2007, 07:44 AM
The car he scrapping have good rear quarters on it?

Clay
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I didn't know the windshield decals differed Clay?

I didnt either until mopar nats a couple of years back. Tim Pettijohn was at the SDAC booth and had some of the NOS windshield decals with him. So I told him I want one, and he asked which one I had........ so there insued the discussion. ;) I swore I had "a", when in fact I had "b". Thats how I learned my other 87 GLHS (208) had the 86 GLHS style decal, because it was a LOT shorter (they cut the CS logos off) than what was on my current GLHS.

This only happened (as Im sure is the case for these speedo overlays) for very early production cars.

GLHS592
04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Mine has a white 135 overlay decal.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/GLHSGUAGES.jpg

supercrackerbox
04-03-2007, 01:48 PM
I seem to remember the overlay on my GLHS being a yellow 135, but I don't remember for sure. I'll have to take a look at that next time I'm out there.

DC Turismo
04-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Kevin, I have that overlay as well. I like it a lot and will maybe put it on a cluster someday down the road. That was an optional part that you could buy outright from Mopar back in the day.

The quarters on this car are MINT (the lips need tapped with a body hammer on the inside of the lip around the weld seem, but are magnifico overall!!!!!!!!!)

ShelbyMotorsports
04-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Saw it with my own eyes finally. A buddy of mine is currently scrapping one and has had it for quite some time, yet never noticed that the gauge cluster was the yellow 135 MPH overlay all of this time! :lol: The car was #7xx but just wanted to share that with everyone. I always thought it was myth, but the car had been wrecked in 89 and had sat since. It's definitely legit!

I would like to know how many exactly came with those speedos though!

Not saying its impossible but I still call it a myth.

I just checked the production lists and Shelby Automobiles modified around 535 cars before cars #700 to #799 were modified.

So using the theory that Shelby Automobiles used up the 86 decals first would mean there are 535 '87 GLHS's out there with the yellow decal. Sorry but I have seen enough '87 GLHS's in my day to know that there is no way that over 50% of them came with the wrong decal.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that dealers & repair shops made more mistakes than Shelby Automobiles could ever make when they replaced Shelby items for warranty or service work. And when you consider that all these parts were available to anyone over the counter it is not that hard to understand that owners could and did modify their own cars.

Case in point. In 1986 I purchased a brand new Buick Grand National with the some what rare digital dash option that included a digital speedometer because of the Jimmy Carter mandated 85 mph analog dash looked so awful in the fastest american production car for 1986.

Although this digital dash looked tons better than the analog dash it also was subject to the Jimmy Carter law and once you reached 85mph it would start flashing and not go any higher. Within the first year I had this dash modified with a computer chip from the Corvette so the dash would now read in triple digits.

So quite possibly there is someone right now on the GN boards swearing up & down that his GN dash goes into triple digits up until the fuel cut-off because he bought his car from the orignal owner with 8,000 miles on it so he "knows" it was built that way.

Again not saying 100% impossible but since we know Shelby had the white decals right there it makes no sense to use up any yellow decals first. And just for fun lets say that I'm wrong and Shelby used up the leftover yellow stickers on the '87 cars before starting with the new white stickers then how in the world did Chrysler get yellow stickers from Shelby when Shelby shut down in the early 90's?

DC Turismo
04-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info Steve!

Here is a pic. of the speedo in this car though. Pretty weird nonetheless. Again, this car was totalled out in 1989 after a front end collision at 13,000 miles and sat ever since. It was just recently discovered by one of our club members, and from what I can see, this car had never been touched prior to the accident other than the centurions (were traded for eggshells! :( )

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/683/medium/DSC01431.JPG

supercrackerbox
04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Double checked my GLHS the other day, and no, it had the white 125mph overlay. I must have been thinking of the one in my GLH, which was obviously an add on.