PDA

View Full Version : OBX LSDs Now In Stock!

Chris W
03-31-2007, 11:33 PM
They arrived on Friday and will be shipped out first part of this week. We will be adding services on our website for disassembly, inspection, retapping holes, cleaning, installing new Bellville Washers and new bolts and then applying an anti-rust lubricant.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our products or services don't hesitate to contact us.

We appreciate your support!

Chris-TU
602-76-BOOST

Austrian Dodge
04-01-2007, 06:21 AM
hmmm
who wants to send me the parts i need to make the obx fit in my a568 tranny? :) :amen:

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2007, 08:54 PM
hmmm
who wants to send me the parts i need to make the obx fit in my a568 tranny? :) :amen:

What do you need? :eyebrows:

PM me.

Austrian Dodge
04-02-2007, 03:28 AM
i have no idea LOL :)

87glhs232
04-02-2007, 08:50 AM
i have no idea LOL :)

You need to swap in a 523 ring gear and intermediate shaft.

Ondonti
04-02-2007, 11:48 PM
How will we know when one is shipped out?

Chris W
04-03-2007, 01:23 AM
How will we know when one is shipped out?

The bolts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow and your package will be shipped out at that time. We will follow up with tracking numbers once they go out. Unfortunately, the OBX packaging was very poor and they did not arrive in good shape so we will be re-boxing and rebagging the LSD units prior to shipping them out. Original packaging will be shipped with the units.

Chris-TU

Turbodave
04-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately, the OBX packaging was very poor and they did not arrive in good shape so we will be re-boxing and rebagging the LSD units prior to shipping them out. Original packaging will be shipped with the units.

Chris-TU

I bought an OBX last year, and the box on mine was falling apart from day one, they certainly don't waste any money on packaging.

87glhs232
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
The bolts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow and your package will be shipped out at that time. We will follow up with tracking numbers once they go out. Unfortunately, the OBX packaging was very poor and they did not arrive in good shape so we will be re-boxing and rebagging the LSD units prior to shipping them out. Original packaging will be shipped with the units.

Chris-TU

Yeah, OBX's flimsey box and couple pieces of styrofoam don't hold those chunks of steel too well. Mine was rolling around in the box.

Dave
04-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Just bought mine yesterday. Can't wait to install it. :)

Ondonti
04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Tracking order says mine should arrive tomorrow I guess.

Hmm so where should we start a tech thread for dealing with these besides the stuff that Chris says he will post. I have not dealt with a diff in 5 years.
Just pulled my dif that has a phantom grip and dif savers from a small spline 3.50.

I would prefer to leave that diff intact and just pull a 3.77 large spline diff out of a spare trans and swap the ring gear and the bearings (i guess a shop has to do the bearings right? I dont have a press etc).

The shimming doesnt sound fun to me.

Chris W
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Tracking order says mine should arrive tomorrow I guess.

Hmm so where should we start a tech thread for dealing with these besides the stuff that Chris says he will post. I have not dealt with a diff in 5 years.
Just pulled my dif that has a phantom grip and dif savers from a small spline 3.50.

I would prefer to leave that diff intact and just pull a 3.77 large spline diff out of a spare trans and swap the ring gear and the bearings (i guess a shop has to do the bearings right? I dont have a press etc).

We have purchased a press and will soon be offering these new OBX units with new bearings already pressed in. The LSD work is being performed by a Chrysler Master Technician who specializes in Transmission Repair. I already added the Belleville Washers and Case Hardened Bolts along with the LSD Prep Service option. The total cost for parts and installation is $75. Pressing in the bearings will probably increase it another $50.

Here's a step-by-step procedure for changing the washers yourself.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6488&highlight=washers

Thanks to Rich Bryant for the pictures and instructions.:thumb:

Chris-TU

Ondonti
04-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I havent realy looked in the FSM for messing with the Diff but what is Simon's big thread about on preload. I was assuming that this was something besides the Bevelle washers.....I also get confused cause its an auto trans dominated thread.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115936&page=4

Reading over things it seems this must just be a washer preload issue dealing with the bevelle washers.

I just really want to know if I can use a 3.50 dif in a 3.77 trans so that way i dont have to pull apart my semi built diff and can pull apart a spare dif.
One person said I would have to change the ring gear and carrier...in that case I will just have to tear apart two diffs ;(

My posts can be deleted later if they are clogging this thread up. I dont care.

Ondonti
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM
i opened up my obx today. Only ONE bolt was not so happy (took pic but hard to see). The others seem to thread in perfectly.

Also, the bevelle washers seem to be already "upgraded" to the darker black ones that TU sends with the kit.

Im gonna see if I can chase that one bad thread and then put it back together with the washers and bolts chris sent (well I bought them so Im gonna use them).

Ill post some pictures when I have time.

Ahhh, playing around with those little helical gears is fun.

Edit: the thread didnt even need to be chased. I just took another good bolt and torqued it down, and now the threads are fine.

Chris W
04-06-2007, 06:40 PM
i opened up my obx today. Only ONE bolt was not so happy (took pic but hard to see). The others seem to thread in perfectly.

Also, the bevelle washers seem to be already "upgraded" to the darker black ones that TU sends with the kit.

Im gonna see if I can chase that one bad thread and then put it back together with the washers and bolts chris sent (well I bought them so Im gonna use them).

Ill post some pictures when I have time.

Ahhh, playing around with those little helical gears is fun.

Edit: the thread didnt even need to be chased. I just took another good bolt and torqued it down, and now the threads are fine.

Glad to hear the unit arrived safely. As far as the quality of the bolts is concerned, I guess it all depends on which assembler is doing the tightening. We have seen both overtorqued and correctly torqued units come through. Per OBX, the belleville washers are the same ones that were offered from the beggining.

Hope that helps!

Chris-TU

TurboGLH
04-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I havent realy looked in the FSM for messing with the Diff but what is Simon's big thread about on preload. I was assuming that this was something besides the Bevelle washers.....I also get confused cause its an auto trans dominated thread.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115936&page=4

Reading over things it seems this must just be a washer preload issue dealing with the bevelle washers.

I just really want to know if I can use a 3.50 dif in a 3.77 trans so that way i dont have to pull apart my semi built diff and can pull apart a spare dif.
One person said I would have to change the ring gear and carrier...in that case I will just have to tear apart two diffs ;(

My posts can be deleted later if they are clogging this thread up. I dont care.

The preload Simon is discussing has nothing to do with the belleville springs. There is a sized shim placed in the steel bearing retainer under the race. Since it's impractical to have machining tolerances accurate to the .0001 the shim serves to take up any slack from the machining tolerances of the case and diff and add a bit of preload (.008) to allow for bearing wear.

The FSM covers the procedure for checking the size shim needed to preload the diff properly. The shim that is currently used in your transmission will not be enough, expect to add about .050 on top of the current shim. If your having the diff installed at a trans shop it would be best to let them do it, you'll need to install and pull the race a couple of times before it's all ready to be bolted together and without the proper puller it can be a pita.

Also, you can not mix ring gears. The 3.50 gear is matched to the 3.50 mainshaft and the same for the 3.77. If your looking to change f/d, you'll need to pull the gearset and swap the gears onto the shaft matching the F/D ring gear you wish to use.

Ondonti
04-07-2007, 05:55 PM
:P I figured this stuff out after a few hours of banging my head on the keyboard.
Smart people should post earlier ;)

TurboGLH
04-08-2007, 10:13 AM
:P I figured this stuff out after a few hours of banging my head on the keyboard.
Smart people should post earlier ;)

If I'd seen it earlier, I'd have posted. When threads take a side trip from the OT it's sometimes hard to notice peoples questions. I guess this info should probably be added to the OBX faq.

Vigo
04-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Smart people should post earlier

If I'd seen it earlier, I'd have posted.

im not contesting the implication at all.. it just made me laugh :)