PDA

View Full Version : intake progress pics

Directconnection
03-31-2007, 05:37 PM
I know...it looks like a pic of a carved pumpkin, but this is the best pic I got.

I took several pics and for some reason, the camera adjusts to the light before I snap a pic. The whiteness turns into orange instead and comes out blurry when close. This is as good as I can do with what I got. Maybe daylight pics would be best instead of the dark room, lighted runner trick.:confused:

Top is stock, bottom is not. Bottom actually looks smaller, but isn't. Roof raised .030 to .040 along with both sides. Top stock intake is closer so it looks larger. Not sure why i bothered posting now:D

Mario
03-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Where's the mouth? ;)

Directconnection
03-31-2007, 06:10 PM
I tried about 10 different lighting techniques and about 30 exposures... nothing is working. Either the lighting won't work, or the camera won't focus down the hole.

What are you guys doing for portwork pics?

Here's the best blurr pic I could get.

I SWEAR it's not as lumpy as the crappy pic looks.

Mario
03-31-2007, 06:16 PM
I think most everyone knows you do quality work Steve. The first pic you can really tell the amount of time you put into making it smooth and symetrical. I recommend better all around lighting or messing with your camera settings.

Directconnection
03-31-2007, 06:53 PM
My parents were semi professional photographers at one point... I am not.

I'll have to read my camera's booklet I guess, or take an average daylight photo from afar...but that isn't too revealing.

show-off
03-31-2007, 11:12 PM
This looks like my 1 piece intake porting

Whorse
04-01-2007, 12:27 AM
I use the macro setting on my camera. I specifically chose it for the quality of the macros.

Here are a couple of photos on the super macro setting.

86Shelby
04-01-2007, 12:52 AM
I use the macro setting on my camera. I specifically chose it for the quality of the macros.

^^^^ Yup, that's the way to go. Play around with the macro(close-up) settings if your camera has them. I've been able to get the printed I.D. letters on a halogen bulb to come out nice and clear....when the bulb was lit. More even lighting, or less contrast will help out as well.

The pics still show that a lot of time was spent making everything nice and smooth. Looks like some good work.

Here's a couple of porting work pics that was done with macro.

Directconnection
04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
macro helped... but still looks like arse. I ran enough batteries through this thing. I get close enough for the detail, and the opening of the port gets wicked bell mouthed looking and the ID looks like it shrinks rapidly to smaller than stock. Also, when lit from the end, and darker outside, the white light comes out as orange in the exposure and looks bad. I use the flash, then I get a completely white port instead. I guess I need a better camera or photgraphic skillz(probably the latter):o

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Looks very scary, muhahhahhaha!

Honestly though, looks really good. :thumb:

shadow88
04-01-2007, 09:15 PM
It looks like the bottom half of a 2 piece with the bolt humps removed. Very nice! Did you break through and re weld it? I bet you're very close to it. Any concerns of yours regarding that area's durability at high boost?

The strange round white circle picture looks like a well blended lower half view from the plenum side. You do good work.:thumb:

Directconnection
04-02-2007, 12:21 PM
I had the bolt areas welded prior to porting, and have it machined on the back to accept socket head cap screws instead of hex head bolts to gain some clearance.

Yeah...that hole is the area leading into the plenum. Should have made a competition on "guess this part" with the poor images. I did manage to get some better ones, but the sand roll marks came out looking like heavy tool chatter in the pics so I said to heck with it. Just take my word...they are pretty smooth and consistant (and flows 5,000,000 more cfm now..well.. ok... I'm exaggerating now):eyebrows:

johnl
04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
As for Halloween, those bolt bumps up top are much scarier than those smooth runners below.

shadow88
04-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I would have known what I was looking at right off the go. I've been playing around with intake manifolds for over a month. After mine was done, I knew I could make a better intake.
I'd really like to see a picture from the firewall side of things. Very nice work again.