PDA

View Full Version : Odd problem

JohnnyLightning86
01-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Had a problem come up on the Laser yesterday and need some opinions to track it down. The car has been running great since getting it on the road this past weekend. It still runs okay, boost gauge is reading that the turbo is working, but the car acts like it's not getting any boost and makes sort of a chugging sound from the exhaust. I have checked the timing and it appears to be fine. It's not getting any codes. Though it did act like this some when I first got it running, but then stopped and ran like it's supposed to. It also seems to be drinking fuel.

Keeping in mind that it is a stock T1 with non-intercooled log intake. So there is only one very short hose that can be blown and I don't think it is leaking any air from that. Plus if that was the problem the boost gauge would reveal that since that is coming directly off of the intake.

Could that be a fowled plug or something wrong with a fuel injector?

shadow88
01-25-2006, 02:53 PM
My guess is a plugged catalist. When it's cold, hit the catalitic convertor and listen for a rattle. It may have broken apart inside and a chunk turned sideways and blocked the flow of exhaust. If it rattles, it's broken and should be removed/replaced.

Bardo
01-25-2006, 04:51 PM
My guess is a plugged catalist. When it's cold, hit the catalitic convertor and listen for a rattle. It may have broken apart inside and a chunk turned sideways and blocked the flow of exhaust. If it rattles, it's broken and should be removed/replaced.
i was with you all the way till you said replaced :)

Lee'sdaytona
01-25-2006, 05:17 PM
i was with you all the way till you said replaced :)
I agree only if you don't need one in Texas. New Jersey inspection requires one :mad:
-Lee

Bardo
01-25-2006, 05:19 PM
wow that sucks. i changed my address to my g/f house just so i wouldnt need it:bolt:

JohnnyLightning86
01-25-2006, 06:18 PM

I will try disconnecting the cat, but I would find it hard to believe that it's the cat because it is brand new. And yes, Texas does require a cat.

Thanks,
Mike

GLHSKEN
01-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Just disconnect the downpipe... Or if the cat comes off easily fine...

Do you run a grainger?? If so clean it.. the vent hole is easily clogged

JeremyL
01-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I will try disconnecting the cat, but I would find it hard to believe that it's the cat because it is brand new. And yes, Texas does require a cat.

Thanks,
Mike

You have to have a cat to get it inspected down that way?

daytonajesse
01-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Check the plugs, it's easy and will tell you if it's fuel related.

cordes
01-26-2006, 01:20 AM
If there is a slight hole/cut in the hose you will probably not notice a drop in boost. The turbo should be able to more than make up for it by working much harder, and putting out very hot air. I would give it a good once over to make sure.

JeremyL
01-26-2006, 02:16 AM
I think if he had a hole/cut in the hoses his car would idle extremely high, he did say it was a stock log intake car, which would be a draw through setup.

JohnnyLightning86
01-29-2006, 12:42 AM
I am now certain the problem is either electrical or it's fuel injector related. It's definitely not the cat or exhaust. Wednesday evening I had a chance to work on the car a little. Pulled the spark plugs and checked the compression - 120psi in all 4 (good news there). One plug looked a little a bit black (more fuel related, not oil) so I replaced it. Started it up and it ran great. Drove it into town and it started running crappy again.

Today I pulled the fuel injecter harness off of one of my parts cars. Changed out one of the injectors for one I thought looked in better condition from the parts car. Cleaned everything up, rewrapped the wiring which was in much better shape than what was on there. Started it up, and it ran crappy again.

Pulled the wiring connector to the injectors and cleaned both sides. Started it up again and it ran a little better. Drove it into town and by the time I got on the main drag the car was running like it should be. Drove around, made a few stops and it maintained the good running condition.

I can only guess the problem is electrical or with an injector, possibly fuel related as it may have had some water condensation after sitting up for so long. When I filled up the other day, I added some treatment for water and more injector cleaner.

So I am going to drive it another week to see if some of these bugs to work themselves out.

Thanks for all the responses guys. The input is always welcome.

Mike