PDA

View Full Version : Will the TIII 'run' without the crank sensor?

2.216VTurbo
03-31-2007, 01:12 AM
OK, so I know they wont start without the crank sensor, but if you were to bump start a TIII without the sensor, would it run??

Reason I ask is that I've had my TIII converted Rampage RT for years, in that time (due to other projects and whatnot) I've not put much effort into the powertrain, now I am putting on a Cometic HG and adjustable cam gears etc and when I stripped off the TB and associated intake pipes, there is a little empty hole where the crank sensor is supposed to live:confused: The Rampage has never started with the key in all the years I've owned it, but I live on a hill and I've put probably 5K miles or so on it by rolling down the street and bump starting it. It starts every time that way. So now I wonder if the lack of the crank sensor (in the stock location, I don't know for a fact that it's not in some other oddball place) will prevent the keystart but allow the pushstart??? Experiences/ideas?

TurboRon25
03-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Isn't the crank(shaft) sensor how the computer knows that the engine is turning (and where it is in it's rotation). With no distributor that sensor is needed to know when to send spark. I would say no sensor=no spark. and maybe no injector firing either.
I've never had the privilege of owning a TIII car, but that is what a crank(shaft) sensor does.

Ron

86Shelby
03-31-2007, 01:54 AM
That makes sense. Many DIS systems will operate like that. You can lose the crank signal after it's running and it will keep on running since it has the cam timing signal. It's just that the ECU needs to see both signals to properly determine crank and cam position for starting.

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2007, 02:17 AM
I agree, I have never witnessed it but I know some GM's need the cam sensor for syncing but if you lose it whiles its running, it stays running.

iTurbo
03-31-2007, 02:44 AM
I seriously doubt it will run at all. It would be like expecting a Turbo II car to run with a TBI distributor.

2.216VTurbo
03-31-2007, 08:47 AM
I seriously doubt it will run at all. It would be like expecting a Turbo II car to run with a TBI distributor.

Well Jeremy I have driven my Rampage many, many times so I assure you it does run:p Or are you saying that the sensor has been relocated to some other location? Ive never pulled the trans or engine out but I have had all the accesory pulleys off so there is no aftermarket magnetic pickup located over there. There were many funky and just plain hacked up syetems on the 'Page when I got it. That's why I've been rebuilding it one area at a time.

Here are a couple shots of the quality of work done to the truck before I owned it:(

Slow process but it will reflect the quality of work I do when it's done:amen:

Turbo3Iroc
03-31-2007, 11:15 AM
That's odd Alan. I never would have thought one of these cars would run with out both sensors installed. Obviously you have proved that wrong but you have never had to drive it anywhere where you would have to key it to start?

Kelly
Bristol, CT
92 Daytona IROC R/T
91 Spirit R/T
04 Ram Hemi

2.216VTurbo
03-31-2007, 11:41 AM
That's odd Alan. I never would have thought one of these cars would run with out both sensors installed. Obviously you have proved that wrong but you have never had to drive it anywhere where you would have to key it to start?

Kelly
Bristol, CT
92 Daytona IROC R/T
91 Spirit R/T
04 Ram Hemi

Well, as you may be able to tell, I've never used it for my DD or anything. Once, I let it idle for over an hour at Home Depot when I picked up a full pallet of Pergo flooring for the house. When the forklift set the palet in the back, the front wheels came up:eek: I had the lift guy scoot the pallet forward against the cab, then drove it 4 miles home that way:evil:

It's an L body so push starting is easily accomplished, just bring a friend for good measure.:thumb: Most of my home improvement materials come from Lowe's because they have a hill in the parking lot. Park nose down at the top of it, get my stuff, bump start to home. Only one time in all the years did I stall it in traffic:o Nice young police man gave me a push with his nerf bars on the patrol car and all was good again;) Don't get me wrong, I'd *love* to be able to key start it and every TD guy at the SoCal meetings has poked around underhood to figure out the problem, but until now, it's been a mystery:confused:

Turbo3Iroc
03-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Gotcha.

I can see why it wasnt spotted because it's well hidden under the TB but no one looked for or saw the open connector that should have went to the sensor?

2.216VTurbo
03-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Hind sight is 20/20 right Kelly? Where were you over the years when I posted my 'TIII no start with key' threads on TD and various forums:p :peace:

Turbo3Iroc
03-31-2007, 12:02 PM
I usually keep an eye on T3 sections but I never saw the threads you made on it.

Time to get a crank sensor now lol.

Still going with the Masi in it now?

iTurbo
03-31-2007, 12:18 PM
I just tried to run my Spirit R/T without the crank sensor. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a good enough 'test', but I started the car up and then unplugged the crank sensor with it running and it immediately died. Same with the cam sensor.:confused:

2.216VTurbo
03-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I just tried to run my Spirit R/T without the crank sensor. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a good enough 'test', but I started the car up and then unplugged the crank sensor with it running and it immediately died. Same with the cam sensor.:confused:

Great info, thanks for doing that for the team Jeremy, is there a team Spirit award here (yeah I said Spirit with a cap;) ) When I get back home I'll check the sensor leads to figure out if something has been bypassed or?:confused:

2.216VTurbo
03-31-2007, 12:39 PM
I usually keep an eye on T3 sections but I never saw the threads you made on it.

Time to get a crank sensor now lol.

Still going with the Masi in it now?

I am still building that Masi Motor, where it ends up, we'll have to see:eyebrows:

With the ADJ cam gears and the Cometic in the Rampage and If it does start conventionally at some point it may get more than 5K miles in 8+ years:o

iTurbo
03-31-2007, 12:42 PM
No problem Alan, I'm interested to see what you find as well. Not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but this really has me confused!

Can't wait to see that Rampage underhood after you have things your way!