PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my A/F gauge?

Pandemoniac
03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
This is starting to piss me off. A while back i installed a Faze brand A/F meter I bought at autozone. I hooked it up how I was supposed to, with the sensor wire hooked to the 02 sensor wire on the wiring harness, the other wire to 12v switched and the other to a strong ground.
It only reads out in the extremely lean area of the gauge. under WOT it barely moves up towards stociometric at all, it just stays at the bottom of the scale. I have an AFPR, and i know I'm running a little rich at idle at least. Turning up the fuel pressure even to the point of smoking pig rich did nothing to the gauge, still reads at super-lean.
So, I figured my sensor was bad. I bought the bosch factory replacement 4-wire sensor and stuck it in. Same result. Absolutely nothing changed. I double-checked the continuity and connection of the lead wires, all was good.
At this time I figured the gauge itself was bad. I had lost the reciept and couldn't return or even exchange it. I went back to autozone and dropped $60 more down and got the auto meter model. I looked it over carefully, wired it up... Same result. It reads super-lean and doesn't respond even when I crank the fuel pressure up.
I am running 450cc DSM injectors, a +40 3-bar cal and the stock fuel pump. I plan to get a bigger one soon, but I run constantly at 15 lbs and have spiked at 18 and have never found detonation or any obvious lean-out. My car actually behaves like it's running a tad rich.

What the hell is the problem? If anyone else here has an auto-meter or similar gauge, tall me how yours is set-up, and explain it slowly to me like I'm an idiot. This is really irritating me.

Turbodave
03-28-2007, 03:46 PM
The A/F guages are really picky about the ground, I always run a wire from mine right back to ground terminal on the battery.

If that doesn't do it I would connect a voltmeter to the signal wire coming from the 02 sensor, you should able to see it reading a voltage that varies between 0-1v.

Is it possible you have the signal wire connected to the wrong wire off the sensor?