PDA

View Full Version : No bulkhead connector????

The S is Silent
01-24-2006, 11:24 PM
What is going on here? I just got my 88 CSX-T wiring harness in the mail today. The thing looks awesome...except for one thing - no bulkhead connector!! WTF? There is just a large gromet that goes through the firewall and then a lot of smaller plugs.

I thought all cars had firewall connectors!!!

minigts
01-24-2006, 11:27 PM
LOL I got the same thing. I thought that too, but apparently, no. I'm sure it's like the other harnesses as far as pin outs, but I'm interested in finding out how that all works out myself.

I'm still trying to find the darn pinout diagrams that tells me which wire goes where! No one seems to have it or willing to post it.

The S is Silent
01-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Looks like we're in the same book. I'll share anything I find with you. I think the only other thing we can do if we can't find any pinouts to the smaller harnesses is cut the wires and try them out one at a time with a multimeter.

minigts
01-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Well I have ended up working with a Daytona harness, so this may not prove to be as useful as what you need with the CSX. The CSX harness seemed too complicated because there really wasn't a reference for me to use, like a manual.

But, this is what I came up with.

http://www.interactivetrainers.com/pics/charger/electrical/wiring.html

The yellows are accounted for, the blues are not applicable to my car and the greens I cannot figure out which place to put them.

This is for a T1 1985 Charger (possibly other years) to a 1987-1989 Daytona conversion. I still need help with the ones in green, so if anyone has info on those, I and Matt I'm sure would appreciate it.

The S is Silent
01-25-2006, 03:46 PM
I believe all the wires on the CSX-t harness are identical to the ones on the daytona harness...only they don't connect to a bulkhead connector. Supercrackerbox is looking at 88 FSM's for me to see if he can find the pinouts for all those smaller connectors. When I get them from him, I'll post them up.

For the pins that you can't figure out, I'll go through trial and error with a multimeter to figure them out.

I have a relatively un-molested 86 SC harness and an 'intact' 50 way bulkhead TII harness that I can trial and error against (the TII harness has been un-wrapped, so it's a mess of wires). Your list will at least give me a place to start.

Tonight I'm going to clean the harness tonight with some engine cleaner foam...and then get started on all of it.

JDAWG
01-25-2006, 06:30 PM
hmm kinda weird I have a harness and computer out of a 90-91 Pbody t1 and there is just a big rubber grommet on it too. I thought they all had bulkhead connectors

The S is Silent
01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Nope. We all thought wrong. Somebody pointed out in a parallel thread to this one that the p-bodies didn't get a bulkhead connector. Its ok though...I'm still going to use it, and it'll turn out fine. I imagine it has all the same wires, and they all go to the same place...just with a different connector.

The S is Silent
01-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Do you know if the bulkhead connector is the same for 85 and 86?? The 40 pin that was posted by Subliminal doesn't match the bulkhead connector I pulled out of my parts car (85 horizon), but the list you put up seems to match it pretty well.

Also, just by looking at your list, it looks like slot 10 on the 40 is the same as 38 on the 50. The check engine light is the same thing is the power loss light.

And I'd be willing to bet that 40 on the 40 goes to 1 on the 50. Same color, same size wire.

Turbodave
01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Most of the SBEC and SMEC cars don't have a bulkhead connector anymore, just the rubber grommet like you described and a few smaller connectors that plug in under the dash. I think the Vans and L-bodies are the only exceptions.

The S is Silent
01-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks Dave.

Do you have the 88 FSM for the non-bulkhead car that you can pull the diagram out of and e-mail it to me? What about the 86 40 way?

minigts
01-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Do you know if the bulkhead connector is the same for 85 and 86?? The 40 pin that was posted by Subliminal doesn't match the bulkhead connector I pulled out of my parts car (85 horizon), but the list you put up seems to match it pretty well.

Also, just by looking at your list, it looks like slot 10 on the 40 is the same as 38 on the 50. The check engine light is the same thing is the power loss light.

And I'd be willing to bet that 40 on the 40 goes to 1 on the 50. Same color, same size wire.

So where would the Splice Charging Circuit go? I think that is 1 on the 50 pin connector, but I can't guarantee it.

And I think the 10 = 38, but I wasn't sure because the 40 pin connector calls it a ground and it's not on the diagram for the 50 pin connector.

Hopefully you're gaining ground on it, because I'm at a brick wall. I am really just needing to figure out the Ignition Switch stuff.

Thanks for the info Matt.

The S is Silent
01-26-2006, 12:05 AM
I looked at it a little bit today. I looked at it long enough to figure out that the 40 pin connector that was posted isn't for an L-body, so isn't worth beans to us, and the 50 pin diagram is REALLY hard to use when you don't have a 50 pin connector on the harness.

Other than that...it's going ok. I'm going to call and get blade connectors for 16-14 gauge wire if I can. You have the part #'s listed for 20-18 gauge...I think I'll go the bigger size to make crimping easier. How long did it take for you to get yours? I'll let you know as I get further.

inmyshadow
01-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Every shadow I've pulled a harness on or worked under the dash, didn't have a buldhead connector. Its a pain in the butt to disconnect the three main connectors from under the dash.

Now daytonas/lebarons still do. I pulled one earlier this month from a 91 Lebaron.

Most of the SBEC and SMEC cars don't have a bulkhead connector anymore, just the rubber grommet like you described and a few smaller connectors that plug in under the dash. I think the Vans and L-bodies are the only exceptions.

GLHNSLHT2
01-28-2006, 10:39 AM
The only cars not to get a bulkhead connector were the Pbodies for some reason. All the other cars have the bulkhead connector but in 88 they moved it up under the dash instead of at the firewall. In Daytona's they reversed the sexes of the plugs in 88 as well. Not sure about the other bulkheaded cars.

The S is Silent
01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Just for reference...

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/P-Body%20Wiring%20Diagrams/

If somebody could put those in the gallery, that would be awesome. I tried and failed.

Mini, could you post up the L-body 40 pin that you typed up? I tried to follow the link that you posted, but it's not working for some reason.