PDA

View Full Version : SDML archives

CSX321
01-24-2006, 11:21 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll try here...

I just discovered that the SDML is archived at http://www.mail-archive.com/shelby-dodge@imagicomm.com/ . I used to like to read it on eScribe, but I think that is no longer there. This new (to me, at least) archive looks nicer, anyway.

sdac guy
01-27-2006, 04:18 AM
For some time eScribbe would only show the subject line and not the message. The last couple weeks eScribe doesn't come up at all.

I've used the mail archive to look for individual posts for over a year now. I usually link to it from the SDML.org website.

I do have all the messages saved on my pc. I have the Message Tracker CDROM that Dennis did for the early years, and have been saving all the digests now for about 3-4 years. I wish there was a good way to get the digests I have into a database for easy searches (like message tracker does).

Barry

Dietro
01-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Perhaps TM.com can assist the SDML with the archives by providing storage space? If ALL the SDML archives can be centrally located and indexed (heck, just make sure Google finds them), then they could be readily available to the entire community via a simple (Google) search.

sdac guy
01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Wow, another great idea Todd!

Frank? Frank? Bueller? Bueller?

Barry

Dietro
01-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Barry, Google is amazing. Say you wanted to search the TD.com archives. You would type in the following search:

coil-over L-body site:turbododge.com/forums/

(Try it, or add any topic you'd like. For some reason I haven't been able to get it to search the archives here at TM.com very well yet.)

I'm FAR from an HTML expert, but if the SDML archives can be stored in HTML and assigned to a "site" with a unique domain, they can probably be searched the same way.

CSX321
01-28-2006, 01:02 AM
For some reason I haven't been able to get it to search the archives here at TM.com very well yet.)
It hasn't had time to index TM.com yet. It doesn't search the site "live," but only searches what it has indexed. Over time the older messages will be indexed by Google, but it will always be behind, probably by several weeks.

Frank
01-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Is there a copy of all the messages somewhere that can be downloaded?

sdac guy
01-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Is there a copy of all the messages somewhere that can be downloaded?Not that I am aware of. I think either Dennis or Bill may have had them before the hard drive crash that lost much of the Shelby Registry data also.

I have all the digests going back to March 2002 on my hard drive. Everything earlier than that I use the Message Tracker CD to look up. I asked Dennis if there was any way I could merge the digests I have into the Message Tracker database, and he told me no, that the database contents are protected so that there couldn't be any bootleg copies made. The Message Tracker I have goes from the SDML beginning in 1997 to Feb 2003.

Barry

Frank
02-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Here is what I suggest in terms of this server being able to archive them. Move the mailing list to your website Barry. It gives you a web interface for a searchable digest, perminantly archieved, and web interface for users and admins to manage themselves or others.

If you are interested, we could setup a practice mailing list and run thru that for you to try out.

Frank

sdac guy
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I can't move it. I don't have any control over it. Bill Yohman is the SDML admin.

The early years that I have from the Message Tracker CD Rom are in a locked database that I cannot access without the message tracker software running.

Barry