PDA

View Full Version : stock 420a intake on an SRT4 or Neon head?

rbryant
03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I saw some pictures of a Venom 420a intake bolted onto a Neon head a while back.

Has anyone considered using a stock 420a intake on an SRT4 or Neon head? I am looking for something that will fit into my GLHS. I saw oen of these at a junkyard over the weekend but it was closing and looked to be a real PITA to remove. I figured I would wait a couple weeks and see if that one or another ends up just sitting there beside the car so I don't have to do the work since this project is in the pipe dream stage anyway. :)

I am hoping that it will curve upward enough to miss my rad but not so much that it has issues with my hood. Having the TB on the passenger side is just a plus for me since that is how my intercooler piping is currently routed anyway.

Does anyone have one of these that can say if they fit or not?
If so How does the clearance look on it?

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
All I can help with is they will bolt up to a SRT head, you just need to redrill some holes and it works nicely. Then you need to mod the dipstick tube big time, lol!

rbryant
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
All I can help with is they will bolt up to a SRT head, you just need to redrill some holes and it works nicely. Then you need to mod the dipstick tube big time, lol!

Ok sounds like the avenger intake has exactly the same bolt pattern as the Neon intake...

Atleast the dipstick tube can be bent to my liking....

I also wonder if the water outlet will fit with it... I guess that can be made to work aswell...

If anyone has a side picture of the avenger intake on a neon/srt4 head that would make my day and save me some time in getting one. Even better yet if there is a measuring tape showing how far forward and upward it sits!

Thanks,

Rich

turbovanmanČ
03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok sounds like the avenger intake has exactly the same bolt pattern as the Neon intake...

Atleast the dipstick tube can be bent to my liking....

I also wonder if the water outlet will fit with it... I guess that can be made to work aswell...

If anyone has a side picture of the avenger intake on a neon/srt4 head that would make my day and save me some time in getting one. Even better yet if there is a measuring tape showing how far forward and upward it sits!

Thanks,

Rich

I used a stock 2.0L dohc intake on an SRT engine and the stock 2.0L water outlet worked perfectly.

rbryant
03-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I used a stock 2.0L dohc intake on an SRT engine and the stock 2.0L water outlet worked perfectly.

Except the avenger intake doesn't normally have the water outlet next to it since the water outlet is still on the front next to the exhaust manifold on a 420a...

It will probably work fine just a fleeting thought.

-Rich

Speedeuphoria
03-27-2007, 08:05 AM
yep, you can get the waterneck from that setup or a pt cruiser. Not sure if when used together they will have clearance.

mock_glh
03-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Since it would be mounted on the front and the engine is tilted back the plenum will stick up pretty high. Unless you're putting it on a Caravan it's unlikely you'll be able to shut the hood.

rbryant
07-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Yep it sticks up too high for an lbody:

Anyone want the intake? :(

-Rich

TurbododgePirate
07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Has anyone considered using a stock 420a intake on an SRT4 or Neon head?

-Rich

Rich, if you look at Ohiorob's setup, he is using a neon DOHC intake manifold in his shelby charger.

However, to add volume to the intake plenum he has added a spacer, I think it is 1/2" thick. I have one sitting here at my house, as I plan to do the same thing. If I remember correctly there is a guy named vitor on neons.org that sells them.

Here it is: http://www.neongoodies.com/Goodies/DOHC_Intake_Spacer/DOHC_Intake_Spacer.shtml

rbryant
07-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Rich, if you look at Ohiorob's setup, he is using a neon DOHC intake manifold in his shelby charger.

However, to add volume to the intake plenum he has added a spacer, I think it is 1/2" thick. I have one sitting here at my house, as I plan to do the same thing. If I remember correctly there is a guy named vitor on neons.org that sells them.

Here it is: http://www.neongoodies.com/Goodies/DOHC_Intake_Spacer/DOHC_Intake_Spacer.shtml

I want something that is going to fit with AC and a good sized radiator. Both are required here in Phoenix. I want this to be a capable daily driver.

I am not sure that my monster radiator will fit but I am going to try.

How big of a restriction is the neck in the DOHC intake? It looks pretty bad.

-Rich

TurbododgePirate
07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I want something that is going to fit with AC and a good sized radiator. Both are required here in Phoenix. I want this to be a capable daily driver.

I am not sure that my monster radiator will fit but I am going to try.

-Rich

Rich, I really don't think you need a huge radiator. Just an efficient one. Heck, you can get a aluminum one for a civic off ebay for pretty cheap and it should cool enough. Think about it. The stock shelby charger radiator is LARGER than the GLHS rad, and I am unaware of any rad issues with the GLHS.

rbryant
07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Rich, I really don't think you need a huge radiator. Just an efficient one. Heck, you can get a aluminum one for a civic off ebay for pretty cheap and it should cool enough. Think about it. The stock shelby charger radiator is LARGER than the GLHS rad, and I am unaware of any rad issues with the GLHS.

In phoenix when it is 115 and the AC is running?

I know it is overkill but it is a common problem here in the desert and I just don't want to worry about it.

-Rich

Speedeuphoria
07-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Well Rob runs 10's w/ the modded one so you'll be fine

rbryant
07-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Well Rob runs 10's w/ the modded one so you'll be fine

I am actually much more worried about space than I am performance. I am sure that with an SRT4 engine in an lbody it won't really matter what intake I use.

I just want one that has room for a decent sized radiator and AC without it being too tight so I am looking at either going straight forward or slightly upward instead of downward.

-Rich

DodgeZ
07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Yep it sticks up too high for an lbody:

Anyone want the intake? :(

-Rich

I did the same thing :lol:

TurboGLH
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I did the same thing :lol:

+1 I did the same thing, but I was prepared for it and had a a SS dart hood scoop mounted backwards on a regular omni hood. Didn't look too bad.