PDA

View Full Version : Who has destroyed(warped/twisted/cracked) a block from too much power?

Murphy
03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
There have been a couple thread on how much power a preCB can take, but I was looking for some hardcore evidence. I would like to know who has actually destroyed a block...cb or pre cb. I don't mean putting a rod thru the block or scaring the cylinder walls beyond usage or anything of that nature, but destruction due to an excessive amount of power such as the lower end flexing.

Please list:
Vehicle:
Type
Weight(approx)
Usage(daily driver, strip only)
Engine:
Type(2.2/2.5, precb/cb)
Status(milage, rebuilt)
Mods
Power(approx)

I think seeing when they break would help us to know what the limits are.

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
I have yet to see a block itself get cracked from power without a piston fragging, valve dropping, or a rod going thru it like this

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/carnage/06_kaboom/thru_the_back.jpg

Story here (http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/carnage/06_kaboom/06_kaboom.html)

mcsvt
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Murph contact Turbo Joe, I believe he twisted his block. Or just PM him and have him add his info. I can't remember if it was CB or not...

Frank
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Does windowing 3 seperate Briggs motors count? ;)

Turbodave
03-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Does windowing 3 seperate Briggs motors count? ;)

Nope, that's just natures way of saying you are too big for the go-kart..

86GLHS
03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Talk to Turbovanman, I bet he has more than one story

Turbodave
03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I would be suprised to see any block that just twisted and ripped itself apart.

What I would expect is something a little less dramatic like a warped deck surface causing a coolant leak, stress cracks, or maybe some unusual wear on the main bearings, or extra stress put on the crank/rods causing wierd failures.

22mopar
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I would be suprised to see any block that just twisted and ripped itself apart.

What I would expect is something a little less dramatic like a warped deck surface causing a coolant leak, stress cracks, or maybe some unusual wear on the main bearings, or extra stress put on the crank/rods causing wierd failures.

I've been in this business for many years 25+. I've yet to see a block fail. it's only been due to some other part failing before the block or main caps/bolts were to fail catastropically. I personally have put over 300+ hp into a tall block 2.5 w/o any block failures.

Murphy
03-26-2007, 04:30 PM
a tall block is strong like a CB tho isnt it? and if you've built it, im sure its built to perfection.

I would like to hear about all the stories of stress cracks and warpage and such, just to get a better idea of what the blocks are capable of. Ive read the 'how much power can a pre cb hold' thread but i dont think i have read any stories of personal experience with twisting/warping a block due to too much power yet. Everyone says it will happen around 250 300 hp but i have yet to really see it proven yet.....

cj011
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
22mopar. I am glad you are still around. What do you think of two ring pistons for a turbo application. I noticed in a magazine a builder used those to get a longer rod in his motor.

turbovanmanČ
03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I've had one crack along the back, just under the water jacket, had to get that welded, then my last failure, valves going thru the block, that was pretty, :(

2.216VTurbo
03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Diogo hit like 440 plus and he was telling me how the cast crank in a CB was OK for that level. Two pulls later he was replacing the mains which were wiped out and putting in a forged crank:o As far as he knows, the tune was right, things were just twisting sidways at that power level.

"Top Fuel" Bender
03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
ME ME ME ME ME ME
Nothing major but definte proof

Original '85 block in drag race omni glh
Bottom has been built (10+ years ago)
2 years ago I kept lifting the head
Had the deck checked, head decked, new arp studs, cometic gasket
Kept pressurizing the coolant system above 26psi of boost
25 and below was o.k.
Last year I did nothing but filled the bottom end with hard block filler
(and add an electric water pump for obivious reasons)
And now 30++ psi are no problems
Only thing we could figure was the block was flexing enough to lift the head
I'll be at SDAC and Cecil this year with the same bottom end (knock on wood)

Arp main studs, forged crank, chromoly pauter rods and wiseco pistons by the way

Mario
03-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Diogo hit like 440 plus and he was telling me how the cast crank in a CB was OK for that level. Two pulls later he was replacing the mains which were wiped out and putting in a forged crank:o As far as he knows, the tune was right, things were just twisting sidways at that power level.

That's kind of scary. Did he put stock mains back in?

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
2 years ago I kept lifting the head
Had the deck checked, head decked, new arp studs, cometic gasket
Kept pressurizing the coolant system above 26psi of boost
25 and below was o.k.

My '89 2.2L CB was doing the same thing until I put the Cometic on...

4 l-bodies
03-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Many times your first indication will be tearing up the #3 main bearing for no apparent reason. I personally have seen two different turbo early blocks crack @ #3 main webbing. Well over 300 HP level. Both were drag racing at the time. I believe Brian Slowe also had evidence of C/B block twisting. His main cap was no longer a press fit. Took the main cap nuts off studs and cap fell off in his hands. Motor still stayed together it was reported.
Todd Nelson