PDA

View Full Version : '97 Grand Cherokee

Turbo_Canuck
03-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm looking at buying one of these. Any experience would be welcome.

Limited, 5.2L.

Info says it has the tow package, but no hitch. It does have the tranny cooler. Should there have been factory installed hitch? Or am I lucky enough to have found a tow package unit that has perhaps never towed anything?

Alloys have some clear coat peel. Is this relatively easy to fix?

What about the Quadra track. Is it reliable, or a service nightmare?

Anything special I should be giving the hairy eyeball before I take this further?

TIA.

DeckSetter
03-30-2007, 08:47 PM
I hope you don't drive much, a 5.2 with full time 4x4 (quadratrac) will be HORRIBLE on gas. It helps a lot in the rain and snow though. I don't know much about the reliability of the t-case, but maybe not hearing of any problems is a good thing? I don't know.

I work with a guy that has a '97 Grand with a 4.0L and he LOVES it. The 5.2 would be nice for extra power, I test drove one a couple years back and it was sweet.

That's odd about the lack of hitch. Maybe they took it off? Maybe it's been rear ended? See what you can find out.

Birddog
03-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Definately look at the rear frame for evidence of a hitch!
(A buddy is a mechanic at a local dealer, first thing they yank on clean trades is the hitch. I have one for sale too oddly..)

The biggest drawback to Quadra Trac and 5.2 is miserable milage, otherwise a fairly stout setup. (Biased view though as I like my JeePs to have AMC engines)

Clear on the rims isn't an easy fix, it's just like TD wheels and needs to be stripped and polished or re-cleared.

Turbo_Canuck
03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks. Actually, from what I can tell it never had a hitch installed. When I took a closer look, I found a a plate bolted to the drivers side. Turns out it's a piece put on at the factory for shipping. If it's never been off, it's unlikely anyone had a hitch on it.

Moot point for me, I found nice Y2K WJ with the Quadra Drive. It's now at the top of my short list. :thumb:

Gas mileage? Lol. It's only slightly more aerodyamic than my mini. Besides, no one buys a JGC for the fuel economy... :D

Vigo
04-01-2007, 02:06 AM
transfer cases are very reliable.. the only one i can think of offhand that will blow up in normal use with normal fluid in it is 97-up ford f-150 transfer case, internal parts wear a hole in the case on those.
otherwise, keep clean fluid in them and dont abuse the shifter and tranfer cases will last forever. the 518 in front of it, on the other hand...maybe not.

they're good trucks, no big trouble spots that i know of.

DeckSetter
04-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Moot point for me, I found nice Y2K WJ with the Quadra Drive. It's now at the top of my short list. :thumb:

Good Call! I sure hope it's got a 4.7l, I just averaged 17-18mpg on a trip in my 4.7 Dakota with full time 4x4 and 32's. Try that with a 318!

JDAWG
04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
sucky gas mileage, and the towing prep package doesnt mean it came factory with a hitch, just a tranny cooler, other than that no a bad jeep

Turbo_Canuck
04-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Good Call! I sure hope it's got a 4.7l,Yep. I drove several 5.2's but then I jumped in a WJ with the 4.7. It was like crack... I was hooked. I just put down a deposit on the double ought WJ with a 4.7. Limited. Tow package, 1 owner who only put a bike rack on the back. 80k miles. regularly maintained with full records (it's originally from Seattle so it's go no rust...) Winter tires even! This is me: :D :partywoot: :D

Vigo
04-01-2007, 09:12 PM
4.7s are great, but neglected ever since the hemi came out, but now dodge finally gave them their due, and uprated them to 290hp with many changes. should be better than ever. but please please please take the 3.7 out back and shoot it already.

Turbo_Canuck
04-01-2007, 09:48 PM
The HO's call for premium gas though...

My cousin is a mechanic who also drives long term testers for a television show, he thought the standard version was more than sufficient, and the HO really wasn't worth the extra cost.

He was really impressed with the dakota quad with the 4.7 he turned in a while ago. Said it was one of the nicest vehicles he's ever driven...

banger68
04-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I have a 96 Limited and I love it. Mine has the 5.2 and I average 18 mpg, which I don't think is too bad for what it is. I can get over 20 mpg on the hwy if I take it easy. This thing does NOT get stuck. I pulled a car out of the mud beside the house and all 4 of it's tires were locked on the car and a brick under the front tire that I missed. It walked out with it. The one problem I've had is U-haul won't let me use a car trailer with it because the Jeep is too light!

briceturbosports
04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
we have a 96 with a 5.2 around town it gets 15 mpg runs great and i did tow the car trailer with it and it did great . know a few people with 4.0 and they get like 12 to 13 mpg i say go for it :thumb:

JDAWG
04-03-2007, 01:06 PM
The HO 4.7's werent that much of an improvement over the regualar 4.7. I think the heads were milled fo higher compression, had different cams too. More of a marketing thing. I seen a vid of one of the full time 4wd ones with a supercharger moving pretty fast down the track. Also the 4.7 HO had platinum plugs, so pricier tune ups, but dont have to do them as often.

Turbo_Canuck
04-03-2007, 05:05 PM
That was my cousin's opinion as well, the bang per buck just wasn't there with the HO's.

He's going over the '00 Limited with the Quadra-Drive right now. Should be certified by tomorrow, and I should have it by Thursdsay. :D