PDA

View Full Version : A/C help on 1999 dodge stratus

RattFink
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey guys, I know it's not a turbo dodge, but it's still a dodge none the less. I have a 1999 dodge stratus with the 2.4 liter engine. The pulley bearing and clutch went bad on the A/C compressor and with the weather getting warm, I live in Georgia, I decided it it was time to fix it. I went to Napa today and got myself a new compressor to put on. I emptied the system, put oil in the new compressor, and bolted everything back up. I figured before I re-filled the system with refrigerant I would test to see if the clutch was kicking in, but it wasn't. Now, I know some systems have a low pressure switch and the clutch will now kick in if there's no refridgerant, but im not sure if this is what is going on. If anyone has a wiring diagram or could offer some helpful advice that would be really cool.

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
You have to pull a vacuum in the system, filling it with freon won't work. Best best is just to take it to a shop and have them pull it down and fill it back up. Your looking around $200 inc freon and oil.

RattFink
03-25-2007, 09:50 PM
yeah, i know, i can use the equipment at work to pull a vacuum, i just want to make sure that the new clutch works before i fill it up and everything, i dont want to have to empty the refridgerant again if i have to take back a defective compressor

shadow88
03-25-2007, 10:05 PM
You could breifly run it on nitrogen and the oil in your compressor to test the compressor. Just not too long.

Vigo
03-26-2007, 01:30 AM
honestly, i would jump the clutch relay for a second, should be good enough.

now, everything is cheaper in south texas, but shops here generally charge 50-75$ u.s. to fill an empty system, probly including vacuum (but ask and make sure they do it!).

now if a nice a/c machine just fell into my lap some time here, i could rake in so much money doing a/c... its BIG money in texas summer :)

RattFink
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
yeah, i jumped the clutch relay and it kicked in. now it's just a matter of going somewhere to get it filled. i'm sure there would be a lot of money to be made down here in Atlanta too as far a A/C work.