PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Head, should I re-use it?

Turbodave
03-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Here's the story, my 90 Voyager has had a bad exhaust manifold gasket. So to get the manifolds off I figured it was easiest to just pull the head rather than try and get the rusty manifold bolts off in the car.

Now, I got it all apart this afternoon and I'm torn regarding whether or not to put the head back on or not. There is one crack from a coolant port going into one the rear headbolt holes. That bolt was a little grungy when it came out. There are the typical cracks between the valves, and some between the steam ports and coolant ports, but those don't bother me. With two broken studs in it and that crack I'm really leaning towards putting the head on the scrap pile, but I'm torn on that decision because the van was running perfect before pulling it apart except for an exhaust leak. It's gone 3 years without ever even needing the coolant topped off and runs like new.

Has anyone ever knowingly used a head with a crack from the coolant passage to head bolt hole?

Part of me says aint broke don't fix it, but another part of me says it's trouble waiting to happen.

puppet
03-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Yep ... I have. Still on the daytona boosting 20psi.
Had the head off when I warped it and blew the gasket last year. Unrelated coolant leak. Head bolt was funky and then I noticed the crack. Took it to the machinist to have it checked and then surfaced. After surfacing I noticed spot welds along every bolt/coolant passage line. It was an r/r'ed head core, so this must be pretty common.
Bottom line is that the coolant can't go anyplace. I've kept a close eye on the fluids since knowing this about the head and like you stated ... not a drop used. I say go with it.

mpgmike
03-25-2007, 12:22 AM
The head bolt toward the rear of the car at the end of cylinder #4 will have oil around it feeding the head. As long as it isn't that particular head bolt hole you might just be OK.

Mike

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Pics?

Turbodave
03-25-2007, 11:41 AM
The head bolt toward the rear of the car at the end of cylinder #4 will have oil around it feeding the head. As long as it isn't that particular head bolt hole you might just be OK.

Mike

It's the one right in the middle on the back,

ludwig340
03-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I've found this on heads pulled from cars running with no coolant/fluids-related problems and had no problem re-installing. Wouldn't say I felt the greatest about re-using them at the time, but had no ill effects.

Turbodave
03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Pics?

No luck on pics Simon, After about 10 tries I gave up, the crack is so fine that I can't get the camera to show it.

Once I get the two broken exhaust studs removed I'm going to just go ahead and re-use this head, it's flat, The van ran great with it and since this engine is only temporary in the van I don't want to sink a ton of money into it.

I've got about a dozen other heads I could pick from to replace this one with, but most of them I don't know the history of and would want to go through completely before using.

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
if it is soooo small you cant photograph it how can coolant get thru it! :thumb:

Turbodave
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
if it is soooo small you cant photograph it how can coolant get thru it! :thumb:

So if I can't see it in a picture it isn't really there, I like that idea .:D

I probably could get a picture of it if I used used some dye or something to highlight the crack, but I don't have any machinists dye around and a Sharpie didn't work. There was a little shmutz and rust on that paritcular bolt, but it unscrewed fine, so nothing major. I'll just put it back together and call it the crackhead van from here on...

MiniMopar
03-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Oil the head bolt real good so it doesn't corrode on you. I say: run it. Given the mileage on the head, there is a good chance that you won't get the cracks of death: from the steam port into the combustion chamber.

Turbodave
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, it seems like almost every crossdrilled head I come across is cracked from the steam holes to the chamber, it was when I was looking for those cracks that I found this one.

I was thinking of coating the threads of the bolt in motor oil like I always do, but coating the shaft of the bolt with some anti-seize or something to improve my chances of getting out in the future.

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Oil the head bolt real good so it doesn't corrode on you. I say: run it. Given the mileage on the head, there is a good chance that you won't get the cracks of death: from the steam port into the combustion chamber.

Yeah, Dave, good thing Russ was 'partied out' and your van only had to haul 6 people on the SDAC-15 Rally ;)

Turbodave
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Maybe it was hauling 6 people in 95deg heat over hills and around corners with a slipping clutch and still putting distance on the Stratus R/T behind us for half a day that cracked the head.

Oh well, at least we won the rally, currently that's the van's biggest achievement. Well that and the fact that I can say I made Sherri all sweaty in the back seat of my van..;)

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Ahhh yes, it was hoooooot in the back of the van that day ;)

MiniMopar
03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Hehe...well it was either that or some custom striping down the passenger side....

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2007, 09:32 PM
LOL, woulda removed the paint! :thumb:

Sherri007
03-27-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm glad Russ decided to sit that one out. :D

Turbodave
03-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Hey Sherri :D

Russ and I both learned that drinking Nitro Lemonade all night followed by a healthy Bob Evans breakfast does not make for a happy stomach.

86Shelby
03-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe it was hauling 6 people in 95deg heat over hills and around corners with a slipping clutch and still putting distance on the Stratus R/T behind us for half a day that cracked the head.

hahahahahaha OMG :lol: Sayin' something about the driver of the Stratus?.:lol:

BadAssPerformance
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM

LOL, me too! ;) Glad he was good to go to eat left over Hooters 911 hot wings when we got back too! :thumb: