PDA

View Full Version : Coils

Mario
03-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Out of the two style coils, is one better than the other?

iangoround
03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
I have heard it said that the older can-style coil is better.

I have no idea why, and I've never seen or heard of any real data to back up that claim.

raccoon
03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
i think both are more then sufficient, the weak part of the system is the cap and rotor hands down.

Whorse
03-26-2007, 12:51 AM
I have heard the older oil cooled ones are better as well.

iTurbo
03-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I've had a few oil-filled coils fail in my 2.2/2.5 cars over the years. Usually it's a cheap --- parts store replacement and NOT a real Mopar coil. Usually the failure is because the coil ruptured and the oil leaked out, or in the case of an Accel coil, the terminals rusted out!

I converted my Shelby Lancer over to the later 'E-core' thermostat mounted coil from MSD. No problems with it ever and it sure looks a lot nicer underhood. Nice short coil wire too so no worries about an exposed timing belt eating the coil wire.

vcrpro3
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
It probably does'nt matter which coil is better, but with the coil mounted nearer to the distributor,there are less problems with arcing than having that long primary wire.

Mario
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Reason I ask is I have the option to run either one on my GLH as I have a Super 60 harness in the car already and I have a reloomed SMEC Harness that's set up for the earlier style. Just thought I'd see if one is better than the other before I throw an engine back in it, that's all.