PDA

View Full Version : TIII swap into a daytona

CDNTurboZ
01-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I was thinking of doing a TIII swap into my 86 Turbo Z that I am restoring (slowly:p). I know I am going to have fun trying to find the parts, but I am going to slowly collect the parts needed. Can anyone tell me roughly what I need to do this?

I know I need:

-TIII head
-TIII airbox
-??
-Do I need a TIII harness?

cordes
01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I believe you will probably need the TIII harness and SBEC. There are a lot off differences between a TII and TIII setup wiring/ecu wise from what I have read.

turbovanmanČ
01-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Depends which way your doing it. Are you using the 2.2 TIII engine, your original 2.2 block and TIII head or newer 2.2/2.5 CB and TIII head? Are you going 2.2 or 2.5L?

banger68
01-24-2006, 05:46 PM
You will need the manifolds. There other options then putting the TIII harness and SBEC, you can add a distributor and use a SMEC.

CDNTurboZ
01-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Depends which way your doing it. Are you using the 2.2 TIII engine, your original 2.2 block and TIII head or newer 2.2/2.5 CB and TIII head? Are you going 2.2 or 2.5L?

I was going to use an original TIII block, which was a 2.2 right? Or I guess find a 2.2 common block

CDNTurboZ
01-24-2006, 10:04 PM
You will need the manifolds. There other options then putting the TIII harness and SBEC, you can add a distributor and use a SMEC.

thanks

turbovanmanČ
01-24-2006, 10:53 PM
I was going to use an original TIII block, which was a 2.2 right? Or I guess find a 2.2 common block

If you use the original TIII engine, you will need manifolds, p/s pump and bracket, all the pulleys, idlers. Some have bypassed the a/c as the belt runs all the accessories sure not sure on that. After that, you have 2 choices, run a distributor off the head and run your stock electronics and have the cal done or run the TIII stuff. If you run the TIII stuff, you will need to run the original A568 trans so you can use the crank sensor otherwise you will need to retrofit one to your trans. If you go stock comp, you won't need to do this.
If you run the 2.2 CB, it needs to be modded.

86Shelby
01-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Another option for the electronics side of this is megasquirt&spark. I've been talking with a few people that are very familiar with it. It doesn't appear to be too terribly difficult to use a crank trigger and the stock coil pack. Or use a Ford EDIS coil pack, then there's many more aftermarket options. Most likely it would be easier to do the fueling batch fire style, instead of sequential like stock TIII. Fabing up a pickup bracket and modifying the pulley would be the most difficult fabrication involved.

Trying to use the stock cam/crank sensors and signals seemed like it would be quite a bit more intensive on the programming side, and all you could really gain is sequential injector firing.

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Another option for the electronics side of this is megasquirt&spark. I've been talking with a few people that are very familiar with it. It doesn't appear to be too terribly difficult to use a crank trigger and the stock coil pack. Or use a Ford EDIS coil pack, then there's many more aftermarket options. Most likely it would be easier to do the fueling batch fire style, instead of sequential like stock TIII. Fabing up a pickup bracket and modifying the pulley would be the most difficult fabrication involved.

Trying to use the stock cam/crank sensors and signals seemed like it would be quite a bit more intensive on the programming side, and all you could really gain is sequential injector firing.

Another good idea.

Pat
01-26-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you use 8v 2.2/2.5 pistons, you'll have high compression issues with the T-II head. You'll need pistons with the right dish to keep compression under control.

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you use 8v 2.2/2.5 pistons, you'll have high compression issues with the T-II head. You'll need pistons with the right dish to keep compression under control.

Huh? If you use 2.2/2.5 pistons with a TIII engine, you get low compression, I think around 7:1 as there deeply dished. If you use TIII pistons with an 8 valve head, you get around 9:5:1 or more due to the lack of dish. TIII pistons are more flat top.

CDNTurboZ
01-26-2006, 08:18 PM
so I am assuming I need TIII pistons?

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 09:24 PM
so I am assuming I need TIII pistons?

You are correct sir, :nod:

Pat
01-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Huh? If you use 2.2/2.5 pistons with a TIII engine, you get low compression, I think around 7:1 as there deeply dished. If you use TIII pistons with an 8 valve head, you get around 9:5:1 or more due to the lack of dish. TIII pistons are more flat top.

You're right...I had it mixed up!

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
You're right...I had it mixed up!

:lol: :lol: :thumb:

Blue Iroc R/T
01-27-2006, 08:10 AM
I believe Cindy at FWD Performance, just completed doing a TIII swap into a 86 Turbo Z. I think she used all Stock TIII parts and electronics from a Spirit R/T.

Garret
01-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Let's do a Neon swap my Son, I will guide you along the path

CDNTurboZ
01-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Let's do a Neon swap my Son, I will guide you along the path

I might do that instead, I just found a 89 2.5 common block for cheap:thumb:

Garret
01-30-2006, 01:39 AM
I can give you a parts list and a place to get them from. Next time I'm in the peg I'll give ya call and we can chat about it, or shoot me an email and we'll figure out exactly how you wanna do it :) I learned a few things to keep the swap as cost effective as possible. I did mine including a rebuilt bottom end from Corey for 1200

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I might do that instead, I just found a 89 2.5 common block for cheap:thumb:

I think he means the complete 2.4L engine, :confused: :p

Garret
01-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Naw he knows I'm talking about the Neon DOHC head on the 2.5 common block ;)

CDNTurboZ
01-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Naw he knows I'm talking about the Neon DOHC head on the 2.5 common block ;)

:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Cool beans, :nod:

capev86
02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
just have Cliff Ramsdell help you with the swop. and dont forget brakes. also fortify the chassis w/ CS parts if your car isnt a cs optioned car!

Cliff Ramsdell
02-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Since I have done this swap with a TIII into a K car wagon I can offer some insight to what needs to be done.

If you looking to keep this nice and easy by keeping it stock looking or even with modifications the best way to start from a cost and making the job easier is to get a complete TIII car.

You will need the motor, transmission because the TIII has a crank sensor and it's located in the bellhousing of the transmission, wiring harness because of the unique locations of the sensors and other items.

TIII motors use a serpentine belt and everything runs off that, A/C, PS, Water pump so you need everything from the front of the motor too.

It's not so much the big things but the small things that will kill you on a job like this and a complete car will make it easier and smoother to do the swap.

The harness, using the stock computer (which I used and made 372HP and 417TQ) is an easy way to go but you will need to cut and splice to use it in the '86 car. Hope you good with wiring and you will need to cut and splice to make this, it's the hardest part of the job.

Pictures of my old wagon can be found on my home page along with what I did to the car.

Cliff Ramsdell
Treasurer, NESDAC
'86 GLHS 210 Shelby Posi and Shelby Roll Cage
Pics's of 210 here: http://superdave369.home.comcast.net/86glhs/86glhs.html
'29 Model A, 239 flathead V-8, 3 speed
Mopartek@aol.com
http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting...Holy ----!! What a Ride!!"

I was thinking of doing a TIII swap into my 86 Turbo Z that I am restoring (slowly:p). I know I am going to have fun trying to find the parts, but I am going to slowly collect the parts needed. Can anyone tell me roughly what I need to do this?

I know I need:

-TIII head
-TIII airbox
-??
-Do I need a TIII harness?