PDA

View Full Version : It running! Thanks!!

Gearjamer
03-22-2007, 06:15 AM
I'd like to send out a thank you to the people who replyed to my '89 Daytona Shelby posts. Back at the end of January I found a stright '89 Daytona Shelby with a nice interior and motor problems. I thought it would be a quick fix:( . Wrong! I got the car for 600.00. The previous owner said he had put a new turbo, master cylinder, and map sensor in it but it still wouldn't run right and he was done with it. I took it home and got it running good enuf for drive around the block but it was still not right. So I came here.... and soon found out that someone had swapped in a 2.2 N/A long block. Fortunately later that week I found an '89 Shadow ES 2.5T1 car in the junk yard. I yanked the motor and tranny for 300. It needed a new head gasket, timing belt, and tune up items but the car showed only 125k. The motor is now in the car and it seems to run good. I've only been around the block so I don't know what kind of full on power it has yet. Now I need to find the paperwork I lost so I can register it.

Thanks again to the people who helped me figure out what I was working with. Now for the mods:evil:

Tony Hanna
03-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.:thumb:

Something worth mentioning, did you grab the ECM from the Shadow as well?
The reason I ask is that the 2.2 and 2.5 have different fuel and timing requirements. The 2.5 needs to run something like 17% richer with less timing, so trying to run a 2.5 on a 2.2 computer can cause some serious problems.

Scottmon
03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.:thumb:

Something worth mentioning, did you grab the ECM from the Shadow as well?
The reason I ask is that the 2.2 and 2.5 have different fuel and timing requirements. The 2.5 needs to run something like 17% richer with less timing, so trying to run a 2.5 on a 2.2 computer can cause some serious problems.

If he runs +20 injectors in his 2.5 he'll be fine with the 2.2 cal.

Tony Hanna
03-22-2007, 09:02 AM
If he runs +20 injectors in his 2.5 he'll be fine with the 2.2 cal.

Yeah, that will work but it's difinately not the "right" way to go about it. The +20's will make up the difference in fueling, but the timing is still going to be too agressive. Probably ok for a stock or near stock setup though.

Gearjamer
03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
The car had it's original computer that was for a 2.5T1. It is a Shelby model. Some ------- put a 2.2l NA short block in with all the 2.5T1 original bolt on components. So that's why it ran like POO POO even when I got all the vacuum hoses, wires, and timing set right. You folks are the ones that identified that it was a 2.2 and not a 2.5t. I had my head in my --- when I purchased the car. I'm born and raised Ford boy. I like the Daytona. Had one once but that's another storie.

mcsvt
03-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Reason he is asking is because usually when you say 89 Daytona Shelby it's a 2.2L T-II... But if it was a 2.5L T-I car then yes your computer would be fine now.

Tony Hanna
03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
The car had it's original computer that was for a 2.5T1. It is a Shelby model. Some ------- put a 2.2l NA short block in with all the 2.5T1 original bolt on components. So that's why it ran like POO POO even when I got all the vacuum hoses, wires, and timing set right. You folks are the ones that identified that it was a 2.2 and not a 2.5t. I had my head in my --- when I purchased the car. I'm born and raised Ford boy. I like the Daytona. Had one once but that's another storie.

Well, take things slow and read all you can. The "turbo database" at www.thedodgegarage.com is a really good resource along with Gus' site www.gusmahon.org, and Dempsey's site (can't remember the addy, but google dempsey and turbo in the same search and it comes up near the top).
It sounds like you're on the right track with it. Keep at it and you should end up with a really fun car. As for being a Ford boy, I think 90% of the people here are transplants from some other make/model. Personally I was a die hard Chevy guy (still am) but that doesn't really matter. These little cars are way too much fun to let brand loyalty stand in the way.:D

Reason he is asking is because usually when you say 89 Daytona Shelby it's a 2.2L T-II... But if it was a 2.5L T-I car then yes your computer would be fine now.

^ exactly.:)
Sounds like he's got it sorted out fine though.

roachjuice
03-23-2007, 12:55 AM
werd i used to be a chevy guy!!! sold a camaro for the omni!

Gearjamer
03-23-2007, 03:04 AM
I did a stone cold start today after it sat for over 24hrs. No issues! Starts right up and idles smooth with no smoke or fluid drips. I still need to do the engine centering procedure. But until I find the damn paper work it's just going to sit. I'm pissed at myself for misplacing the bill of sale. Here is the issue. I got the car from a couple that bought it from a person who got it from an auction of some kind. The car had never been registered since the auction purchase. I think it was a police auction and the car was confiscated so there was no pink slip just the auction paper work. If I don't find the paper work it could get messy.

The mods I want to do is put on an intercooler, I have an extra one from a Thunderbird Turbo coupe. Install a good muffler, a CAI kit, and do an eprom tune. If you guys could point me in the best direction to get the info I need I would appreciate it.

Thanks

turbovanmanČ
03-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Glad another one runs, :amen:

Read Tony's links above, just search around the sections your interested in, check out our Knowledge Center and ask questions, :nod:

WickedShelby88
03-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah, that will work but it's difinately not the "right" way to go about it. The +20's will make up the difference in fueling, but the timing is still going to be too agressive. Probably ok for a stock or near stock setup though.

I like my timing agressive Tony. Especially when I'm driving a stick car like I stole it;)

Tony Hanna
03-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I like my timing agressive Tony. Especially when I'm driving a stick car like I stole it;)

Right, right.:)

I was just thinking on down the road when he starts cranking the boost up. 'cause you know it'll happen eventually.:nod: Too much timing advance even with enough fuel still = bad scene.